1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best piccie quality ....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Feersum enjinn, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have a painted wall but ...

I was using DvD scart socket out and into my yellow Video socket on my panny and the picture was 'okay' but a bit blurry and a few 'colour puddles' where some colours clashed and you get those moving lines (dont knwo the correct term). This wire was cheap, and also about 3 metres long.

I just tried connecting from my DVD S-Vid into Panny the S-Vid and it made a large impact for me. The wire was only 1 metre and it was a more expensive cable too. No colour puddles and noticably clearer. Well worth the difference!! *looks impressed*

Now however my DVD S-vid out socket is now broken *mumbles* so what i wanted to know was two things ....

(1) When i originaly tried S-vid to S-vid i didnt expect a noticable difference, but i did get one. But was this because :-
    (a) S-vid connections are clearer and better and what happene to me was expected ... or ....
    (b) Because i used a shorter, higher quality cable when i tried the S-vid to S-vid connection, and if i were to buy a scart to yellow video socket connection, i would get just as good a picture?

--- so was it the type of connection i used, or the cable/length that made the 'most' difference?

(2) Other question was, rather than me buying a new DVD player (so that i can use the Svid to Svid connections again), will i be able to match the picture i had with my S-vid to S-vid connection by just getting a Scart to S-vid connection (since my DvD players scart socket works i can use that to send signals out and plug the other end into the S-vid on my panny) or will this not work?

My system is very simple, and my stand alone DvD player goEs straIght into my panny. Oh and yes my DVD player has RGB in the menu list - dont know if this helps when i connect scart to S-vid or not but i thought i woudl mention it.

Yes i am new - but i am learning :)

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    RGB & Component connection is the best.....Then S-Vid.....Then Composite.

If you can get a Scart to S-vid mini ( cheaper than changing your DVD player), make sure you set your output from the DVD to S-Video. And away you go.

The shorter the cable the less loss of signal you'll suffer. But I would guess in your case the vast improvement was simply down to using S-Vid rather than Composite.

3. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Dvd player only has S-Video (& Composite) and I have an AE100. I first tried it out with the S-Video cable that was already on my TV to DVD, which is about 1.5m.

I since mounted my PJ on the ceiling and as a result needed a 5m S-Video Cable. The only one I could find was a 10m cable. Tried it out and I can't notice any difference in picture quality.

As far as the broken S-Video connector, have you considered, just buying a connector from you local Electronic supplier and replacing the broken one?

I have been told the difference between S-Video and Component is much less than S-Video and Composite, but I haven't seen it for myself. I have a feeling once the HT room is complete, I am going to need to buy a new DVD player with Component.

Best Regards
    Amelia

4. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies - yes i was thinking about fixing my dvd players s-vid connection too.

Although now i think i will just set my DvD player to S-VID out and buy a scart to S-vid cable.

And yes i noticed a remarkable difference between S-video and composite!! i was pleased with it indeed. And i too hear the difference between S-vid and component is smaller - i wont bother with component as i am just using a basic Dvd player and a wall as a screen - but S-vid is now a must for me since it is a cheap change and a considerable quality difference IMHO.

Thanks for info - !

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Amelia

You might get more of an improvement by keeping your old DVD player without component outputs and using the SVideo signal to feed an external de-interlacer / scaler to drive your projector by RGB instead. They need not be silly money (£125 upwards). Cheaper than a new DVD player and much better picture from your projector. I know it sounds slightly screwy but it will give you the best piccy. Loads of posts on this site if you haven't seen it already.

6. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nic,

I am going to do a search following this post, but what is a external de-interlacer / scaler? Is it the same as running via a PC and setting the res to the same as the LCD panel on the PJ?

Best Regards
    Amelia

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Amelia

You could try a Rave tv card (about £35) with s-video in and Dscaler, a software for cleaning the picture quality up. I am currently using this config with the help from Kramer, it takes some setting up but looks pretty good. I am soon to route s-video dvd picture from my dvd player to the PC, I want to see if its better than the progressive playback from my dvd player.
    Take a look at thr PC section on this forum, and do a search for rave and dscaler.

8. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Amelia

The guys above have given you the details. What they are basically doing is to generate a RGB signal rather than a component one. This by-passes much of the cheaper electronics in your Panny projector to allow it to REALLY deliver what it is capable of. If you take a component or SVideo signal direct to the projector you are only getting 50% of what it is really capable of. Feed it RGB and it becomes a whole different animal, PC or ProV will do the job really well. The difference is NIGHT and DAY.

10. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here Here

11. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,

Nic, you shouldn't have said The difference is NIGHT and DAY. Now I have too find out and actually try it out. ;)

I will connect my PC and give it a go. Do I need to set the Resolution to the same Res as the Panny?

I am guessing I am really going to love the results and if this is the case, will the ProV deliver the same performance ?

My PC card is a Matrox Marvel G400-TV

Thanks Guys

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No.

I'm not sure, but I dont think the ProV will output 856x480, & hence some scaling will still be needed by the PJ.

A HTPC is the only (IMO) way to obtain the very best picture attainable fron this PJ.

Unless you see Wide480 in the PJ's menu, you're not "SUCKING DIESEL" :D

13. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I have to agree, with the Pc it`s simply stunning but the Pro v has to be next best,
    Re` resolutions it`s up to your own taste I dont see mega difference with them changed however I do use the same as the Pj just because it seems right. It`s not hard to change between resolutions to check em out.
    The only problem I have with my pc is the sound I dont have a 5.1 sound card so I`d much rather have it from my DVD through my Pro v untill I get a new sound card

14. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Amelia, if you have half an hour to plough through this thread then I think you'll see what the ProV can do. It may well be an awful lot less hassle than the PC route (down which I'm going!!), and offers TV tuner etc too. Not sure if they are available down under - I believe they go by different names, so some research may be in order.
    HTH

Richard

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am afraid I said it because I believe it right. The reality of the situation is that you don't even need to match resolutions but would help for ultimate performance. Sling it bog standard XGA, miles above the panel resolution, and it will look stunning. Feed the projectot component / SVideo it just looks decent. Unfortunately this is quite common for many panel based projectors but most people don't want to experiment. The think their DVD is magic, the reality of the situation is that their DVD might be but the cheap electronics in the panel based projector aren't! Great projector though (once reliability is sorted). The ProV box just makes it imple to apply, widely available through the world.

16. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I am going to try out the PC. Do I need a special Panasonic Cable to connect from PC to PJ?

I get the impression the ProV is good, but its not HCPC :(

I think I have really under estimated my budget for this project :D

Best Regards
    Amelia

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are alternatives for a PC that will work pretty good on the Panny... The ProV is one option, but as a scaler/de-interlacer it's very basic. You could have a go at using a iScan, which yields far better results, as it has an advanced deinterlacer on board (the same chip in fact, that does the deinterlacing in the Plus Piano.)

The big benefit of using an external scaler is that you can get a decent picture out of about any analog device. Don't forget, an HTPC isn't only about the picture, it has to produce sound as well (and I don't mean fan noise :rolleyes: ). Basically, if your projector doesn't feature a decent deinterlacer, (most don't), then really your only options are using the RGB input of your projector, or, if if has one, the DVI input.

18. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but it is around £750 mark compared to £145

19. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    There is no need to build a new PC, just buy yourself a rave tv card which has s-video in for about £35 and a VGA cable for about £20 add Dscaler and powerstrip which is free, then tinker away, I am currently watching Sky through my pc into the AE100 with great results. I will next try dvd playback trough my pc via s-video.
    The only problem is that it ties your pc up, so no one else can use it.

P.S You may need a Video card which supports duel monitors, I am currently switching cables round each time I want to watch anything on the big screen :(

20. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PC has the Matrox Marvel G400-TV video card, which has both Composite and S-Video in and Out, however the sound card would have to change.

As far as tying up the PC, with the matrox I can out put DVD via the card to the AE-100 and use the monitor to do what ever I like on the PC. Its a really cool feature :)

I'm still not sure how to tackle the problem. I have a feeling if I like the results, I will have to build a dedicated PC for the AE-100. Not sure yet where or how it's going to be stored in the room.

Best Regards
    Amelia

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get the best picture from an HTPC you have to use the RGB output (aka the VGA-port). Using the s-video or composite of your videocard won't improve anything on your current setup. Most likely the picture will be even worse.

22. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If you want to just try it out download Dscaler, then hopefully it will have an option to run from you s-video input on your video card, run sky in s-video to the pc, then route it to your projector via a vga lead.

P.S you will also need powerstrip to set the resolution of your pc to match the resolution of your projector.

If you have the cables it will only cost you some time and not money :)

23. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you get Dscaler from?

mr. Custard, you are correct, I forgot my Matrox doesn't also a second RGB out, bummer. In any case I don't think it would matter, because I would most likely build a second PC for the PJ

Best Regards
    Amelia

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Amelia

You can get Dscaler from here
    And powerstrip from here
    And more info about setting up here

Good luck

25. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Earlier impressions from LiOn mentioned that the AE100 isn't great at scaling up to fit its panel, but is very good at scaling down. So feeding XGA via the ProV would give better results than sending 640x480 for example.

26. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Amelia

What are you currently using for dvd playback? If you are using composite, you could have a vast improvement with going to s-video, and then there's componant better still, it all depends on how good you want to get your picture quality, I am currently getting good dvd playback from my Multi-region Toshiba sd-510, with componant out, it also does progressive scan with region 1 dvd's. I used to use s-video for sky, this is also very good, its just not as good as a pc.
    If you want to keep it simple, use componant for dvd and s-video for sky.
    If you dont mind tinkering and having a pc running in your lounge have a go, many have with great results, I have yet to decide on using my pc for dvd playback, as I dont have a decent sound card yet for 5.1 sound to my amp.

At all costs don't use composite, I did for a while for Sky, it looked watchable until I upgraded to s-video.

27. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richard, I think I remember reading it somewhere on this site. I will keep it in mind when every thing is set up.

Hi Tim,
    I never got around to trying out Composite, I used S-Video instead and I was very happy with the results. I even went from a 2m Cable to a 10m S-video cable and the results still look the same.

I am not keen at all about having a PC hooked up to my PJ, but I don't want to discard it just yet. Lets face it when I heard about IceStorm, I thought I would be nuts to use Grey Paint, but as it turns out the results are amazing.

I hope to have the HT room back to normal condition again by this weekend and if I do, I will have the PJ back in there and I can do some testing again.

I have had my PJ for three weeks and only done 8hrs on it, mainly because its been packed away, while the room is being renovated :(

Best Regards
    Amelia