Best phones to demo against Dre beats?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by bash, Jan 12, 2012.

1. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Im sick to death of kids and basically mindless Apple like sheep who are flocking to Dre beat phones in their droves, happily paying £150+.

What in your opinion are the best 'phones to offer as an alternative to non-audiophiles at a similar or cheaper price that give better sound quality (appreciate this is mostly subjective) and build quality (Dre beats are terrible for this)

I also appreciate some people are buying these just for the look and status symbol they're afforded by "rolling with these on street, like" and also Im sure there are some owners on here, this is not intended as a trolling thread so please just keep out if you want to "big up Dre Beats" I just want alternative opinion so I can help out my deluded friends.

Personally I'd grab a pair of Grados purely on sound quality but appreciate they generally leak too much sound for use on planes, trains and automobiles etc. As I dont listen to music out and about anymore Im a little out of touch, Im assuming most people will suggest Sennheiser, Sony, AKG's,
    Beyerdynamic and Audio Technica?

2. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    What would be the point? People like Beats for the looks and fat sloppy bass. You can't beat people over the head with good SQ, even if it is buyable at a fraction of the price of $500 Beats.

3. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Its just for my own personal knowledge base so that I can have at the back of my head some suggestions . . . . when asked :)

4. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Grados, Senn's HD25, Beyer T50p, AT M50, Koss TBSE1. The Koss is actually another 'sig' phone, Tony Bennett ***. But they sound very good, great midrange. But TB will never get past the cool kids.

At $300 the HD25 is twice the price of the rest, but any of them would snot the Dre's. But the cool kids don't care. Not until their Dre's break after 3 months.

5. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    have you tried a piece of string and 2 paper cups? i would imagine that sounds better than the dre`s .. :)

6. XasharK

XasharK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Denon AHD1100's which you can get for around £70 if you shop around, I borrowed a mate a pair whilst his beats were being sent back that were broken.

He couldnt beleive how much better the 1100s sounded despite being a third of the price, Needless to say he got a refund on the beats and bought the Denons.