1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best phone?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by DustySox, Aug 22, 2005.

1. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

My contract is up with O2 in September, and I don't know which way to go. I went into the Vodafone shop yesterday, and was blinded with a very fast talking salesman about the technology and different tariffs.

I don't know whether to go for a 3G phone, I luve my gadgets so I can see it would appeal. The Nokia 6680 caught my eye. What do you all think.

However, on the flip side the non 3G Nokia 8800 also caught my eye. I like the fact that it's hard as nails (non scratch) which in my case/job is a huge bonus!

I think that Vodafone has some good deals to be had, from what I could see.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

ATB

Darren

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I was going to get the 8800, but changed my mind, as Nokia always release an improved 'i' version fairly soon after, in fact, I believe they are releasing the 8800i sometime early next year. That and the fact that the battery life on the 8800 is absolutely appalling.

The 6680 is a top phone, but the '3' 3G network is still poor, losing signal in mid conversation waaaay too often for my liking. My sister has a 3 phone, and the number of times it cuts off in mid conversation is just soooooooo annoying.

Best phone on the market right now in my opinion is the Sony Ericsson W800i, it is superb, comes with 512MB of RAM and a rather impressive 2 megapixel camera (which takes a very good picture compared to other camera phones, I was rather shocked when I transferred the pics to the PC). It is geared as the first 'walkman' phone and certainly looks funky.

I've had many phones, (Nokia 8910i, 6600, 7610, 8850, 7650, 6230, Sony Ericsson S700i, P800, T68i, K700i, Samsung D500, and many more) and can honestly say that this W800i has been the best of the lot.

The 6680 is probably the best 3G phone on the market if you want to go that route though.

3. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

Hi Kazman

Thankyou for your reply.

I still like the idea of 3G, however is the technology/coverage not quite there? So I am leaning towards the W800i. I will have a word with O2 tonight and let them know of my intenions to move network, should be interesting. However, I still think theres some cracking deals to be had with Vodafone.

ATB

Darren

4. dayna62

dayna62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got both, i use the 6680 when i'm working, "tom tom nav is brilliant on it by the way", and i use the 8800 when i go out, so i've not really had any battery problems. they are 2 excellant phones though, and i got my 6680 for £70.00 on an o2 upgrade.

5. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

I have spoke to O2, and they are very keen not to lose me as a customer, it was pointed out that I have been with them nearly 3000 days!! So, as a loyalty bonus, they offered 50% extra bonus and free W800i. I told them I would need to think about it!! I reckon, there's more room for a deal!!!!
    I must confess to really liking the W800i, and from what I've read here (thanks Kazman) and the net, all reviews seem "blinding"!
    I'm just not sure about 3G technology(on Vodafone and not on 3 network), and I would imagine any use would soon push up my bill
    Will keep you posted.

ATB

Darren

6. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    You're right, they offer that to everyone who stays with them! See if they can offer you more free minutes. 3000 days is a lot, you really should get the W800i free more minutes and try and get some accessories to go with it.

7. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Many thanks for the replies.

One further question, earlier on today I was shown a video clip of something "rather rude" on a Nokia phone! This got me thinking, I get married next month and as a "little" gift to my future wife" I would like to "put" some of the wedding off the DVD onto her phone (you know what women are like, she's going to luve it!). My question is how do you do this? Putting video onto a mobile phone?

ATB

Darren

8. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Which bit are you wanting to put on her phone? Not after the party in your honeymoon suite I hope??

Things like that get around you know

:)

9. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I don't know yet I'm sure something will come up!!

But, if anyone does know please can you let me........

ATB

Darren

10. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    w800i is brilliant!

One of my friend got w800i for free and £15 for 500 minutes, when he requested for PAC from O2

11. leef1234

leef1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not sure what files the sony plays, but my nokia plays 3gp clips, the nokia site has a download for nokia suite which has a convertor that will change your avi or mpeg videos to 3gp which should play on your phone. Or just google for 3gp convertor and you should have plenty of other options.

12. leef1234

leef1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ps ive got the nokia 7610 (similar but older 6680) and the sony k750i both of which are great but i use the nokia most, mainly for the brilliant sat nav and other symbian appz.

13. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Kaz,
    I think the problem with 3 is more with the phones than with the network. I had a NEC616 a year or so ago which I had to send back because it just kept rebooting and losing calls...most frustrating. I changed to an LG u8310 and that has been perfect. No problems at all. I recently looked around for upgrade deals. The shop staff were every suprised to hear I haven't had any problems with my LG. The sales guys in one shop said they don't sell NEC & LG anymore because they sold them all only to get them all back! Others (3, link, cpwh) recommend Sony Eric or other makes. One guy said 3 were really miffed at the phone manufacturers letting them down and muddying their name that they're taking them to court. Not sure if this is true but it does correspond with my experiences.

I really like the service and the cost. Just upgraded to a SEk608i for free with half price rental for 6mnths....that's £12.50 for 500 mins anytime and any network!! Only bummer is that it doesn't have internet access but I can live without it on my phone.

I haven't got the SE k608i yet but the very knowledgable 3 shop guy (who I didn't buy from and he knew I wasnt going to buy from) highly recommended it and has one himself. I personnally don't like the 6680 as it's really bulky.

Regards,

Jus

14. Adam_uk

Adam_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I work for Vodafone and so clearly you should come over to us.

I use a V600i which is a very good handset, some of my mates use the 6680, but I find it a tad big

15. dazz260192

dazz260192

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a v600i and disagree with adam. It suks !! The battery fails on mine, the fone auto turns off and it crashs alot. I like the new sony ericson which will have 4 gigabytes onboard memory. Thats the 1 im gettin.

16. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    w900i and k800i both 3g phones are great