Question Best phone camera for low light action

reecesanford

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

So i currently have an iphone 5s and the camera is pretty poor.
I'm a dog walker and live in Manchester so take alot of action photos in poor light/poor weather.

The phone is really struggling so i am looking to get a secondhand phone that can handle action photos of dogs in low light.

Was considering the Samsung Galaxy S7 or is there a better option?

Thanks

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
The S7 is certainly a good bet for a camera phone but taking action photos in low light is extremely challenging on any camera, it's beyond what the tiny sensor in a camera phone can do well particularly as optical stabilisation can't help with a moving subject.

reecesanford

Novice Member
Thanks for the info.
I have a dslr but taking that out in all weathers is very difficult.
My iphone unless its sunny really struggles.

The S7 is certainly a good bet for a camera phone but taking action photos in low light is extremely challenging on any camera, it's beyond what the tiny sensor in a camera phone can do well particularly as optical stabilisation can't help with a moving subject.

Jules

Distinguished Member
IMO All camera modules on mobile phones suck in low light. In relative terms only (i.e., using other phone cameras as a reference point), the Galaxy S7/8 and iPhone 7 perform well.

But aganst a real camera in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, they stand no chance.

If you want a low light video king, look at the Sony A7S DSLR which can practically turn night into day. Indeed the filmmaker Philip Bloom made a docu-style review of the A7S entitled 'now I see'.

Last edited:

reecesanford

Novice Member
If you have £2000 to spare.
Which would still be a waste of money as previously mentioned i have a dslr.

IMO All camera modules on mobile phones suck in low light. In relative terms only (i.e., using other phone cameras as a reference point), the Galaxy S7/8 and iPhone 7 perform well.

But aganst a real camera in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, they stand no chance.

If you want a low light video king, look at the Sony A7S DSLR which can practically turn night into day. Indeed the filmmaker Philip Bloom made a docu-style review of the A7S entitled 'now I see'.

Jules

Distinguished Member
If you have £2000 to spare.
Which would still be a waste of money as previously mentioned i have a dslr.
Yes, the £££ is a factor...
The A7S is rather unique though...nothing else on the market gets near its low light video capability...so, I guess I'm just saying that's the benchmark and its then down to how much you want to compromise.

If we're sticking with camera phones, I'd say the best low light footage I've seen has come from an iPhone 7 Plus.... but then your talking a lot of £ for that too.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom