Best Philips Tv under 600Eur

uudza

Novice Member
Hello.
I need a Tv of about 50-58 inches, i really want ambilight but don’t have budget for oled.

I read through forum and understand that the the Philips screens are quite inferior compared to ther brands simmilar priced ones, but sadly only Philips offers ambilight.

So the questions is- which of the Philips Tvs has the best picture quality and can be calibrated to have the best blacks,contrast, as little ‘washed out’ picture as possible?
So far it seems that it should be 50pus8505.

Price range is under 600eur, if it makes a huge difference then maybe 700.
The viewing angle can be really narrow, it will be watched mostly form sofa straight in front. And the Tv will be used mainly for watching netflix and a bit some other local channels through apps. So I need android-built in or seperate box doesn’t matter that much.
Any advice would be really appriciated!

Dodgexander

There's practically no difference in picture quality between the very cheapest PUS models and the most expensive. So its just a matter of picking which has the features you want. 8 series and up comes with Android instead of Saphi, and some specific models will have 2 or 3 sided ambilight.

Unfortunatley none are really suited to use Netflix in UHD since their HDR capability is very bad, that's unavoidable at this price range though unless you go for a TV like the Hisense U7Q which may look okay with HDR in some, but not all titles. For Netflix non HD viewing, or UHD via a Roku or similar any TV will be fine though as then you can disable HDR.

Here's a good chart to compare features:

For higher contrast ensure you get one using a VA panel which will be 50" and 58" sizes.

uudza

Novice Member
There's practically no difference in picture quality between the very cheapest PUS models and the most expensive. So its just a matter of picking which has the features you want. 8 series and up comes with Android instead of Saphi, and some specific models will have 2 or 3 sided ambilight.

Unfortunatley none are really suited to use Netflix in UHD since their HDR capability is very bad, that's unavoidable at this price range though unless you go for a TV like the Hisense U7Q which may look okay with HDR in some, but not all titles. For Netflix non HD viewing, or UHD via a Roku or similar any TV will be fine though as then you can disable HDR.

For higher contrast ensure you get one using a VA panel which will be 50" and 58" sizes.
Thank you very much.
After reading through the forum i got the impression but i had hope.
Seems that i’ll just have to wait and save up if i want ambilight and HDR.
But,meanwhile, i have option to get cheap used Samsung Qe55Q67. I know you struggle to recommend it but it’s still mentioned. Can’t find proper reviews about this model, so maybe you can tell me - is the HDR usable on this model?

Dodgexander

is the HDR usable on this model?
No, its worse even than the Hisense U7Q.
My advice is what you suggested already, save up for a better model. Philips do make some cheaper entry level OLEDs like the OLED705 or OLED706 which certainly will be more expensive than your current budget, but they are worth waiting for.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor

I've noticed that few of higher models have sound system made by "Bowers & Wilkins". Do you have any knowledge if that sound system does really differ much from "regular" one installed in other Philips models?

Dodgexander

I've noticed that few of higher models have sound system made by "Bowers & Wilkins". Do you have any knowledge if that sound system does really differ much from "regular" one installed in other Philips models?
Its much improved, and is worthy of not also buying a soundbar. However they are also a lot more expensive, so it asks the question why not spend less, and buy your own soundbar?

uudza

Novice Member
No, its worse even than the Hisense U7Q.
My advice is what you suggested already, save up for a better model. Philips do make some cheaper entry level OLEDs like the OLED705 or OLED706 which certainly will be more expensive than your current budget, but they are worth waiting for.
Ok,thank you. So i’m guessing the q67 isn’t even really better than the PUS ones except that it just has little bit better contrast?
And about Philips cheaper oleds - are there big difference between 705 and 805? As i see you recommend 805 and not 705 as high tier.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Its much improved, and is worthy of not also buying a soundbar. However they are also a lot more expensive, so it asks the question why not spend less, and buy your own soundbar?
And what would you consider a better setup? Soundbar seems o provide more flexibility, as it can be connected easier to other devices and you can choose from many in the market. It can be also moved to different place during refurnishing or etc. , but maybe I'm just missing some point?

Dodgexander

And what would you consider a better setup? Soundbar seems o provide more flexibility, as it can be connected easier to other devices and you can choose from many in the market. It can be also moved to different place during refurnishing or etc. , but maybe I'm just missing some point?
The only advantages really are having it integrated for ease of use and not having to worry about cross-compatibility such as HDMI eARC or ARC woes.

In every other area its better to get a separate soundbar, you'll get much better sound for similar money. Some of the Philips models with the soundbars built in are priced close to their OLED TVs.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
The only advantages really are having it integrated for ease of use and not having to worry about cross-compatibility such as HDMI eARC or ARC woes.

In every other area its better to get a separate soundbar, you'll get much better sound for similar money. Some of the Philips models with the soundbars built in are priced close to their OLED TVs.
All seems clear now, thank you so much for your explanation!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom