1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best pci card for capture of sky.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by schillaci0, Jun 14, 2005.

1. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :hiya: Need a pci capture card for sky that's cheap :rolleyes: , has a epg for schedule recording :smashin: and can also change channels on sky box ( just like sky plus!) :eek:

Can i have my cake and eat it! :D

Answers if you :lease:

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    well, there's plenty of these around, I've got a lifeview 2000 from PCworld which was on £28 and has a good quality svideo input. to get the best from it though you'll need a sky box which has svideo out, either a sky plus box or one of the grundig non-plus ones.

Not come across anything which reliably solves this problem yet, there are some bits of software which try and do EPG data for this country but most are pretty flaky IME.

you'll need a hardware IR transmitter (such as the USB-UIRT) for this, it'll cost about £40 and can send and receive IR signals. Also the recording software will need to be able to handle it.

Well, here's the problem, at the moment I don't know of any single solution to this set of functions, there is software which allows you to use an EPG and can change channels but this only works with more expensive capture cards and the quality is - quite frankly - crap. They also have areally annoying 2 second delay from the live source so they can't be used to simply watch TV as changing channels becomes a nightmare. There are cheaper cards/software solutions but they don't work anywhere near reliably enough and I'm not so far aware of one which does "everything".

Its a shame as this is the one aspect of HCPC that I am really disappointed with :(