1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best PC Game EVA UPDATED : FPS

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by abz_da_man, Jan 13, 2005.

?

The Best PC FPS EVA

Poll closed Jan 23, 2005.
  1. Deus Ex

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Half Life

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Half Life 2

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. System Shock 2

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Quake

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Quake 3

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Unreal Tournament Series

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Doom I/II

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. Wolfenstein

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  10. Rainbow Six

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now i have decided to have an updated poll!! As requested by many and usefully suggested by Obroggit, we will have polls per genre.....

This one is for FPSz

Im including Deus Ex, and Theif as they sort of fit in the genre anyhow!

Im from Saarf Landan now so End Of!!! :smoke:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Can see no Thief there did you mean DeusEx /Thief as the 2 are similar although different.

3. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D'oH i missed it out!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRRRRRRRRRYY!!!!!! D'OH!!

&%£$@@!!!!

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    lol how did i know you'd be the first to notice that? ;)

i voted for the original half life, as it has basically lasted a good 5 years, spawned loads of other games, and basically gave the FPS genre a kick up the ass. Half Life 2 may well be better but we can't really know that till another 5 years have passed.

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    What happened to Call Of Duty and Medal Of Honor :mad:

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    :laugh:

Well there is not many games going to come along with the character has the same name as yours, well if your called Gordon maybe, but Garrett that was one out of the blue and what a cracking game it was.

I voted for Deus Ex, it has just that bit more to it than simply shooing everything on the screen, it also can be played stealthy.

I also thought No One Lives Forever is note worthy even though the other half is not called Kate. :D

7. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Call of Duty / Medal of Honour and all that, although they're FPS they're a subgenre of thier own really - or fast becoming one with all the sequels and ripoffs out now. The Rainbow Six games fit in here too

8. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tough one. For single player its got to be Half-Life but for multiplayer its got to be Unreal Tournament. Even though I've spent many, many hours playing the latter, Half-Life was breath taking at the time. It was the first game I finished in ages - I usually loose interest after a while.

So, in summary, my vote go goes to...

Half Life

(UT deserves a high position too though...)

9. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No contest. Doom. Grandaddy of them all.

10. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does Dungeon Master count? Some spells are projectile type and you always have a melee weapon in FPS games lol

11. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with MarcusAngel, was thinkin of Medal Of Honor, but then i remembered its EA...

I enjoyed No One Lives Forever, but didnt think many other ppl shared this view

12. arn

arn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bit of a flimsy poll as it doesnt include mods. stand alone game then half life 2. If you include mods then guess the popular choice is counter strike. Though my fav is q3 :)

13. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mods are not games, they are Mods, hence not included in these lists, we nly do orignal games. Not cheap rip-off made up levels.

14. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree. Some mods can change a game significantly - it's like Unreal Tournament is just a modified Quake 2 seeing that it uses more or less the same engine

15. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    They might change a game significantly, but I think the point is that you can't play the mod without the game.

Why bother listing Counterstrike and other mods separately if you have to own Half Life to play them?

16. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree (well, I voted for Quake, but it was a toss up between Doom and Quake).

I see HL2 is winning, and technically it is the better game, but in terms of impact at the time IMO Doom and Quake are miles out in front - they wrote the book from which the others came.

I still remember long evenings of Doom LAN play, downloading wad files, and emerging at 6am from someone's house having been playing all night. Quake took that a stage further, with the clan matches, and more 3D environment requiring different strategy. Rocket jumping, power ups, quake and armor whoring, all good clean fun.

And the shock of thinking you were pretty good, then going online for the first time and getting royally massacred :D

17. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well you don't have to anymore do you? You can buy Counter Strike Condition Zero (not that anyone would as for the money, you might as well buy Half Life2 or if your computer can't cope, Half Life and download the counter strike mod.

Doom and Doom2 were fantastic. Loved those games but Duke Nukem 3D had so much character. Much better than Quake where every colour was brown or greeney brown.

However, when Half Life came out, I was blown away (yeah forgot to duck..... sorry).

The story line, the action, the weapons, the add on of Op Force and of course Counter Strike.
    Definitely the best fps ever.

HL-2 is brilliant but it didn't have the same affect on me that HL-1 did.

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I might be mistaken but wasn't HL based on the Quake 2 engine, just like everything else at the time?

19. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understood that it was a heavily modded version of the Q2 engine, but I've looked at the original discs and ID's logo is nowhere to be found so that may have been a rumour.

20. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is far too early to say that HL2 is the greatest FPS of all time. It's only just been released! I don't think any game measures up to the longevity of Doom or Quake, I know people who STILL play both games! Yes, counterstrike has been going some years now, but it was a mod that came after half life, so I don't really count it as part of half life. Original Half life as the greatest game, well that's fair enough, although for me it still came from Doom and that's why I voted as I did. In my opinion the reason that the FPS genre became so popular is because of Doom, and not many games can hold that sort of acclaim.

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Half Life 2 for me! Not only for it's awsome single player experience but also for the mods that will soon start flooding the scene!

I loved Duke Nukem, DOOM2 was also superb and the original Half Life is probably the one i've played the most (allbeit mainly via Mods like CS & DOD). System Shock 2 and AVP2 are also fantastic games.

I also loved MOHAA & COD - both for their single player & Multiplayer aspects.

One other that isn't mentioned (that I played solidly for a good 2-3 months) is Planetside. Brilliant game with some truly huge scale battles! The only thing that let it down was it's repetition really - until you get bored of it though it's probably the most fun you'll have in an online FPS!

Finally BF1942 got a lot of play on release and at the time it was a breath of fresh air in that you could drive or fly any vehicle as well as fight on foot.

22. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought BF1942 anthology (road to rome and secret weapons included) off ebay a week ago.
    Been having lots of fun but just getting my butt whipped every time I try online multiplayer.
    I'm a very good Counter Strike player but this is so different.
    Most of the maps are very large with little or no cover. Makes them very tough, but fun.
    Favorite moment, watching a snier taking careful aim at someone distant, them driving over him with a tank :)

23. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    With artistic license and done in a Scotch accent:

24. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dad's Army should be made into an RPG

25. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    It has to be doom, scared the p*** out of me when it came out, what a game! I know Wolfenstein was the daddy but Doom introduced real atmoshere, everything else since has just been more evolution that revolution.

Second to that I guess is Half-Life. I did enjoy Half-Life 2 but am I the only one who feels like they rushed out a half finished game? I swear the original took a lot longer to finish as did Doom3. HL2 was a ripoff for the length of gameplay included. No doubt they are rubbing their hands in glee as we will all be desperate for the next addon... :mad: