Best PC-DVD for Panasonic E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fusioncold, Nov 11, 2004.

1. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Just bought my Panasonic E55 from RicherSounds. Connected it up with loads of help from previous posts in the forums and it seems to work great! :thumbsup:

I currently have a Sony DVD +/- RW drive for my PC, but I don't think it will read DVD-RAMs. I would like to buy a PC-DVD Player or recorder to copy edited DVD-RAMs to dvd-r's on my PC. It seems that the two best DVD-Recorders are the 16x LG 4160B (Reads and writes RAMs as well as dual layer) and the Pioneer 108 (Reads RAM's and writes Dual layer).

My question is - will I need the ability to write to DVD-RAM's as offered by the LG? Is there any advantage in this? Apart from this feature, is there anything that separates these two drives in terms of usefulness for my E55?

My other option is to buy a cheapo PC DVD Player that reads RAMs only. I could then wait for Dual Layer DVD-R9 drives to come out (Is there any reason to wait for -R9?)

Sorry for the confused ramblings, but thanks in advance for any help!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    You can easily get away without the ability to write to DVD-RAM although some find it useful in PC useage for backups etc. That said I would go for the LG drive - it's a good solid drive and is quite cheap so your not paying a premium for the DVD-RAM write support.

3. marky_h

marky_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yep, another vote for the LG for value - mine is bit sensitive to disc cleanliness, though, so look after your media!

Mark

4. jdcotr

jdcotr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard from postings on ebuyer's website that a Panasonic DVD-Rom was very noisy (vibrating heavily!). I'm not sure if it was this drive, but it's likely.

If I was to go with a DVD-Rom, I was considering a Samsung which is going for £14.09 (£19.25 inc postage) on ebuyer. The Quickfind code is 79231 if you're intereseted. An LG is available for £21.24 on the same site.

BTW, I don't work for ebuyer!

6. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use DVD-RAM to copy from my Panasonic E60 to my PC. I've recently upgraded from the excellent LG 4040 to the new 4160 drive. I've had my E60 for over a year but never needed to copy to DVD-RAM from the PC.