Best panel for about £1300

Richardod

Standard Member
Just wanted to get opinions on a panel for about the £1300 mark I have an extra £350 for a Theatre system to go with it.
I am looking for a 50 inch screen,I have sky HD,I watch a lot of TV wether it be HD or SD mainly sport and Films.
I sit about 9.5 feet from the screen.
I really wanted to get a Pioneer but budget just won't stretch to it as I want a Theatre system as well :(.
So I guess I'm looking for the next best thing.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Panny that's going to be suggested so really want to know what's the best one.

Thanks for any replies

bigfecker

Just wanted to get opinions on a panel for about the £1300 mark I have an extra £350 for a Theatre system to go with it.
I am looking for a 50 inch screen,I have sky HD,I watch a lot of TV wether it be HD or SD mainly sport and Films.
I sit about 9.5 feet from the screen.
I really wanted to get a Pioneer but budget just won't stretch to it as I want a Theatre system as well :(.
So I guess I'm looking for the next best thing.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Panny that's going to be suggested so really want to know what's the best one.

Thanks for any replies

9.5 feet and 50inch screen don't mix IMHO. At 9.5 feet you want 42 or 43 inch max

rewerb

If you cant afford the Pioneer, then you have to look at the Panasonic. The 50PZ80 is around £1150. PZ80 was Highly Recommeded by HDVTest.

Richardod

Standard Member
9.5 feet and 50inch screen don't mix IMHO. At 9.5 feet you want 42 or 43 inch max

I have put a template up of a 46" and that looks fine so i am going to go with the 50".

There a so many Panasonic models about it's hard to choose the best one that's why I need some advice.
General feeling seems to be on here the Th50PZ800 is over priced, I don't really need the build it Freesat as I have Sky HD.
I just really want the set that will give me the best SD picture as HD is pretty good across the board isn't it ?

Or have I got this wrong.:confused:

homer_jay

I have put a template up of a 46" and that looks fine so i am going to go with the 50".

There a so many Panasonic models about it's hard to choose the best one that's why I need some advice.
General feeling seems to be on here the Th50PZ800 is over priced, I don't really need the build it Freesat as I have Sky HD.
I just really want the set that will give me the best SD picture as HD is pretty good across the board isn't it ?

Or have I got this wrong.:confused:

Our 50" Pioneer is 9.5 - 10 feet away from us, and after a few weeks to get used to it, it's the right size for us (and now it's a year since we got it). :thumbsup:

Piers

Much as I like the idea of a 42" fully calibrated ;-) £1,300 will just about get you a TH50PH10. Even uncalibrated it is a better screen than any of the Vieras that I have seen to date and you aren't paying for features that you don't need like sound and Freeview.

Richardod

Standard Member
Piers,

I haven't even heard of this model.

Why is it better than the Vieras ?

God this gets more confusing by the day :confused:

Piers

The PH10 range is Panasonic's "commercial panel". You won't find it in the multiples and it isn't really aimed at the home cinema market. Despite this they are very good for home cinema if you know where to get them and how to configure them.

All your money is going to the monitor screen and that gets you better build quality, a better picture in my opinion and way better calibration controls (just in case you want it properly calibrated in due course). The Vieras are horrid to calibrate, the commercial screens are a breeze.

Richardod

Standard Member
The PH10 range is Panasonic's "commercial panel". You won't find it in the multiples and it isn't really aimed at the home cinema market. Despite this they are very good for home cinema if you know where to get them and how to configure them.

All your money is going to the monitor screen and that gets you better build quality, a better picture in my opinion and way better calibration controls (just in case you want it properly calibrated in due course). The Vieras are horrid to calibrate, the commercial screens are a breeze.

Piers
So you are telling me I could spend over £1000 on a television and the thing isn't calibrated properly I find that incredible.
I understand out of the box settings might need changing but not to the point where someone has to come in to do it at yet more expense.
So the Viera range is not even calibrated properly ???

God I thought getting a new TV would be a joy not a nightmare :mad:

Piers

Out of the box your plasma will usually be beatifully calibrated to look really good in a showroom. £1,000 or even £2,000 that is still the case.

This forum will tell you how to turn the out of the box settings into something that then looks relatively good at home.

The next stage is proper calibration. No manufacturer can predict the lighting conditions in your room. ISF calibration is done on site for that reason.

The Viera range is good. Out of the box, most are close to the desired D65 standard (with the right settings) but not spot on. Getting them exactly to D65 isn't easy.

I have told you about the screens that can be easily calibrated. Getting a new TV isn't a nightmare, but you need to talk to the guys that are dealing with the custom install screens. I am trying to help and don't sell screens since Fujitsu exited the market last year.

Richardod

Standard Member
Piers,
Cheers I appreciate your help the One thing that I have learnt from these forums is Pioneer is the best but at the moment it is just out of reach for me so I'm going to have to try and get the next best.
I have looked at the model you suggested and nobody near me has one in stock or is likely to get one so it's going to have to be one of the viera range.
Opinion seems to be so divided on here as to which is the best one I would have thought the TH-50PZ800B would have been the best model but many on here seem to think it's a waste of money and I'll bow to their greater knowledge.
As i Said I don't really need the freeview or freesat as I have sky HD but I do watch a fair bit of SD still I just want a good all round tv that will handle both SD and HD.
I am mainly a sport and film man not interested in hooking up a pc or in gaming at all only thing I would want is a home theatre system to go with it.

-Ad-

Put your binoculars down then compare and come back with a reply ;)

At 9.5ft a 50inch is perfect, I upgraded from a 42 at this distance as it was too small to game on, and with a 2:35:1 film the picture would naturally look even smaller.

50inch as you have marked out is the perfect choice, and the ph10 is a good set. If you had a bit more money then a pioneer 5080XD would be even better, but you want to spend a bit on a surround system, so fiar enough. Maybe sell a child or gf/wife for the weekend (;)) so you can get the pioneer, as the commercial panasonics don't have good enough blacks for me (worse than 8G pioneers), but you could be perfectly happy with them.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Piers
So you are telling me I could spend over £1000 on a television and the thing isn't calibrated properly I find that incredible.
I understand out of the box settings might need changing but not to the point where someone has to come in to do it at yet more expense.
So the Viera range is not even calibrated properly ???

God I thought getting a new TV would be a joy not a nightmare :mad:

it isnt really a nightmare.Depends how far you want to go.Most people would probably be quite happy with a domestic low hassle set, ie has all the inputs inbuilt speakers and inbuilt tuners. The PH10 comes with none of these things although you can buy some inputs and a stand to fit yourself( not difficult).You can get add on speakers but they are not worth it and its far better to connect to a proper AV system.Where it scores is that you can get it calibrated so that it works to its optimum level.The word which is often used is - accuracy ie the picture is as it should be .Fairly sophisticated looking gear is used to achieve this and as i understand it the set is calibrated to work with ones current gear eg digibox dvd player etc
Now I can honestly say this set is the best electronic item( other than my Mac:D) I have ever bought.Pictures are breathtaking IMO, so much so I rarely use Hi def.Not perfect but certainly very good so much so there is no way i would ever opt for a domestic set in future.
Its not often I talk up product but this one is worth every penny providing its calibrated properly as Piers suggested. Otherwise go for ordinary domestic sets.
The hassle involved means gingerly lying your set face down on a blanket on a coffee table and inserting inputs in the underside and stand at the back.The dealer should be able to advise

Razor

Distinguished Member

Not true at all. I would say a 50" would be perfect for that distance. Especially for 1080p.

Piers

I have looked at the model you suggested and nobody near me has one in stock or is likely to get one so it's going to have to be one of the viera range.

Richard,

Don't give up on the TH10 because local (obvious) dealers can't get it for you. I am betting that you have a "commercial" Panasonic dealer near to you (unless you are in the Outer Hebrides and for all I know there may be one there!).

If you don't want to reveal your location send me a PM and I will put you in touch with a dealer.

Believe me, for your sort of use / the kit you have and the kit you are planning to get.....the PH10 is what you need, not a Viera.

cajhaj

Standard Member
Richard,

Don't give up on the TH10 because local (obvious) dealers can't get it for you. I am betting that you have a "commercial" Panasonic dealer near to you (unless you are in the Outer Hebrides and for all I know there may be one there!).

If you don't want to reveal your location send me a PM and I will put you in touch with a dealer.

Believe me, for your sort of use / the kit you have and the kit you are planning to get.....the PH10 is what you need, not a Viera.

from the specification, [contrast, shadows gradient,..] th10is similar to worse models8 rather than 80.. is really that good ?

Piers

Forget spec sheets, they mean next to nothing (contrast ratio quoted with the display set to dynamic compared to switched off). I see a lot of plasmas and the PH10s look good.

The Vieras are good TVs. If you have Sky HD, no immediate requirement for Blu Ray and a sound system, I still say the PH10 is the answer.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
To some extent it must depend on whether anyone can be bothered to self install the cards stand/ bracket and whether they want a inbuilt tuner or not.I understand mark ups are quite low for this set so there is no real incentive for dealers to provide a setting up service.
I wanted to demo a PH10 before buying which required a 3 hour journey in total.It was worth as it happened. Pity Panny dont make a Viera with similar calibration facilities .Bit of an oversight really.

Razor

Distinguished Member
yes but you like 'em big:D

:D

I recently bought a 50" PZ80 Panasonic for the bedroom. When it arrived I thought they had given me the 42", I had to check it with a tape measure. :oops:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series