• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best Panasonic Plasma for SD gaming.

CBJr86

Standard Member
Hi!

What is the best Panasonic Plasma for SD gaming? Is the VT30? Or is there any Plasma that can play SD content better than or equal to the capacity of the VT30?

Thank you and sorry for my poor English.

EliteAcoustics

Standard Member
Depends on what size you want. but for the price i'd get the TC-P50X2 is a good tv.

Its the 2011 model of the price-efficient 720p model that sold really well last year too. it is base-model tv (meaning no features that make it look or perform above average).

I would ask what gaming will you be doing without high definition. xbox, ps3, and even the wii are capable of some form of high def (1080p-except for wii). if you're playing older consoles then the tv quality is almost irrelevent-you're looking at pixels anyway. i wouldn't spend a bunch of money on a tv with a high resolution, or with the 120hz or 240hz image processors, cause sd gaming wouldnt have an advantage on it.

So: TC-P50X2 - this is a 50" if u want smaller maybe get the 42" of this tv, but the plasmas are only 40+ i believe

CBJr86

Standard Member
Depends on what size you want. but for the price i'd get the TC-P50X2 is a good tv.

Its the 2011 model of the price-efficient 720p model that sold really well last year too. it is base-model tv (meaning no features that make it look or perform above average).

I would ask what gaming will you be doing without high definition. xbox, ps3, and even the wii are capable of some form of high def (1080p-except for wii). if you're playing older consoles then the tv quality is almost irrelevent-you're looking at pixels anyway. i wouldn't spend a bunch of money on a tv with a high resolution, or with the 120hz or 240hz image processors, cause sd gaming wouldnt have an advantage on it.

So: TC-P50X2 - this is a 50" if u want smaller maybe get the 42" of this tv, but the plasmas are only 40+ i believe

I want the smallest size possible (I think the smallest is 42").

I want to play SD consoles mostly, but also will play HD consoles. So I think it's better to buy a Full HD TV.

I was wondering what would be the best Panasonic TV processing SD. I was thinking about buying the VT30, but is very expensive. If I buy a cheaper model, the uspcale quality is equal to the VT30 or is inferior?

In addition to the model TC-P50X2, what else advise me?

CBJr86

Standard Member
Do you require 3D?

No, I do not need 3D.

Can anyone tell me if the SD quality of VT30 is better than the G30, GT30 and ST30? Or SD quality is equal in all of them?

I'm torn between these three models: G30, GT30 and ST30 (VT30 is very expensive). On the other hand, I'm afraid to buy one of these three models and have the problem of buzz or brightness fluctuation...

vickster

Distinguished Member
There are pro reviews of all of these models in the review section which you should find informative AVForums Hardware Reviews - AVForums.com

What SD sources do you have? I found Virgin utterly rubbish compared to Sky! Or will you be relying on the in-built tuners and do you have a good roof mounted aerial?

ChrisP2809

Established Member
I recommend the 42G30 it the closest non 3D Full HD Panasonic to the VT30... the S30 is Full HD. But the black levels do not compete with the G and the VT... the blacks look grey on the S30...

If this does not bother you and you just want a good Full HD Panasonic with 600Hz, the S30 is the one...

Otherwise without question of a doubt... the G30 is a great screen - black levels are similar to the G (closer than the others)

CBJr86

Standard Member
I recommend the 42G30 it the closest non 3D Full HD Panasonic to the VT30... the S30 is Full HD. But the black levels do not compete with the G and the VT... the blacks look grey on the S30...

If this does not bother you and you just want a good Full HD Panasonic with 600Hz, the S30 is the one...

Otherwise without question of a doubt... the G30 is a great screen - black levels are similar to the G (closer than the others)

Forgetting the issue of 3D, the GT30 is much better than the G30? Or are nearly equal?

ChrisP2809

Established Member
This is the customer review from Amazon:
Not a massive difference to be honest.

600Hz on both, THX certification on both, WiFi ready on both... The GT is slightly thinner I believe (millimeters - next to nothing) and the design is slightly slightly nicer... Not worth the price difference and not worth it if you do not want 3D

Oh yeah, the GT30 has Freesat also and the G30 does not.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom