1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best PAL PS DVD under £150?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stricko, Jan 20, 2004.

1. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm another Cambridge Audio DVD 57 buyer who is fed up with some of its less friendly "features". Reading some of the older threads, there seems to be a growing concensus that RS are "pushing" the CA range, sometimes at the expense of better equipment.

Sorry to be asking the same question as others before me, but if I'm going to take back the 57, whats my best current alternative?

The DVD will be fed via a HK4500 amp and a Pioneer 43" plasma (component link preferred).

Apart from making the most of the units above, I need DVD-R / RW reading, JPEG, and of course PAL PS. I not that fussed about the DVD-A/SACD side. Budget? The £150 I'm getting back from the 57.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated..............

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Spend the extra and get a HK DVD2550 for £250 while you still can mate.
    £100 better spent then £150 on another brand X Unit

3. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You don't know how hard it was getting the £150 past the domestic management dragon in the first place. Another £100 might just cause it to breath fire again!

("what do you mean, upgrade the DVD player? We've already got a DVD player, what do you want another one for etc etc")

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Many like the Sony 730. I have one and find it a bit dark, but I seem to be in a small minority. £149 from HomeCinemaHeaven , though may be found a bit cheaper elsewhere.

5. mrmc74

mrmc74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    New HK DVD22 is pal progressive and is available in Germany in Feb. Online price is €219 which is £150

6. AndrewB

AndrewB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking for the same thing and have done some research. I'm about to buy the Sony 730 multi-region for £129.88 from here:

Techtronics Sony 730

It has the same Video DAC and picture enhancement gubbins as the very well reviewed Sony 930. PAL and NTSC progressive scan. Seems like a bargain to me...

Andrew

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Quite like it actually. Have to concur with KraGorn on the dark issue though. Not a problem though, quite like it - in fact as it increases the black level quite nicely on cinema 2, which is about right for my PJ it would seem.

Not quite the 930 after further investigation. Does not have adjustable gamma range on the memory video option but I never used that on my 735 anyhow.

A bargain for £130.00.

Cap:smashin:

8. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This may seem like a minor quibble, but I really do need JPEG / Picture CD capability. It's the one benefit over my old player that really excited the family. Does the Sony 730 support this, I can't find reference to it on either suggested link.

9. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Andrewb' i just bought a 730 and may be about to get a great deal on super dvd player. So i will have it for sale soon. So if you are interested give me a pm and i can save you a few bob

10. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, I'm only posting again to keep the thread visible (first page!)

I've got votes for the Sony, anybody else got any ideas. What about the Yamaha DVDS540 (no obvious problems), Pioneer DV565 (no PAL PS?) or a Marantz 4300 (no Jpeg).

Anyone know if the Sony does JPEG. How does it rate vs the Yamaha?

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Yamaha player are consistently high quality and don't get the press they deserve, there is a PS model for 150 rrp but have seen it locally for MUCH less

12. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I might be tempted to go up to the HK if it had JPEG, but the specs say it doesn't.

Any more bright ideas?

13. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamaha 540 is a corker, it'll do the jpegs and will even play music over them as well ( if you have some 'slideshow' type software on your pc. It does PAL and NTSC prog scan and is quite a good cd player to boot. Don't bother paying for a multi-region machine as the crack is dead easy. Look to pay about a ton, and either get a component cable or a load of DVDS with the change.

14. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep, I totally agree. I bought a Yamaha 540 (Multi Region) and its the mutts nuts! It cost me £109 which is an absolute bargain.

I was very impressed with the way it plays CD's. It's so much better that the Toshiba SD330 I had before it...

15. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm getting votes for Yamaha, Sony, and HK. Also Limit being pushed on a different thread.

Any more for the skylark..............

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The Yamaha s540 that my Brother owns has bad ghosting and a very poor de-interlacer, but others seem to be pleased with it.
    Out of the Sony and the HK I would go for he Hk as sony seem to have problems with their optical blocks failing prematurley, but the Hk is £100 over your budget.

17. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Yamaha S540 and am very pleased with it, certainly no signs of ghosting.
    As regards the de-interlacer, if you are playing PAL discs then it is simply a matter of weaving two fields together. Even the most basic de-interlacer can manage this. If you have NTSC discs then it becomes more difficult due to incorrect flagging in the video stream, among other problems.

Cheers, Beastie.

18. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I thought it was Pal PS (3:2 pull down) that was harder to do than NTSC PS (2:2 pull down) ? :confused: It's certainly the case that Pal discs suffer more from incorrect flagging.

Croc

19. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe it's the other way around. 2:2 pulldownd for PAL (since it's 50 fields into 25 frames / second), and 3:2 pulldown for NTSC.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers, Beastie.

EDIT: I think my first post was a little too brief. The type of material I'm talking about is footage captured from a film source, ie. movies. These progressive frames are then simply split into odd and even scan lines (fields). The conversion back to progressive is simply a case of recombining the line alternately (weaving).
    Truly interlaced material, eg. TV broadcast or camcorder footage is a lttle different in that it is composed of 50 fields per second, captured at 50 fields per second. This is much more difficult to de-interlace without causing artifacts and, IMHO is best displayed interlaced on an interlaced screen (CRT).