1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best PAL Progressive picture

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TR Singapore, May 14, 2004.

1. TR Singapore

TR Singapore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a large collection of PAL DVDs and a Samsung DVD-HD938 DVD player with DVI (and component) output, capable of putting out a 576p signal - and can also upscale to 720p for whatever that's worth. Looking for a display that will truly optimise for this.

The Pioneer 434 is the clear winner on paper, based on all the reviews and HDMI input (I believe I can use a DVI-to-HDMI cable or adaptor with no picture loss).

However, when I view them on display (and they are all over Singapore at the moment due to a big Pioneer promotion) I invariably find them a bit blurry. It is difficult to control for different sources and usually they are running NTSC interlace, so this may explain it. If I were running DVI with full PAL progressive on the 434 would it be a whole different world?

The heretical option would be a high def LCD. I know all the theoretical reasons Plasma is better than LCD but I saw a 32" JVC LTZ32s2 (768x1280) and it had outstanding clarity. It is also PAL progressive capable. I'm upgrading from a 31" Loewe Aconda CRT so I'm used to a very sharp picture. Also about 60% the price of the 434.

Any views?