1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Pal Prog player to better my ageing 737......

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lighty, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    i'm open to opinion on a good pal prog player to better my 737 - getting on a bit but still very good in my eyes....

i demo'd an 88+ and wasn't blown away but it was straight out of the box and my friendly dealer tells me they need running in.

will a HK 525 / philips 963SA / pioneer 757 (soon) / Arcam 88+ show big improvement?
    just really DVD-V at present thru a Sim HT200DM.
    SACD and DVD-A not an issue yet but would be a bonus
    video quality is what counts!

thanks All

Lighty

2. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very happy with my 757.
    I would imagine it would be a worthwhile step up but I'm sure a demo once the update is out will help you decide.

3. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I went from a 737 up to a Philips 963SA and couldn't be happier.

Main reasons for me were PAL-P, lack of chroma bug, and the EXCELLENT Redbook CD playback.

The 737 probably has better interlaced output IMHO though.

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, I have a Sim2 DMF and a DV88+ and the difference between my old tosh 210se and the progressive mode in my dv88+ is great - the picture is very film like and the detail is greatly increased.

The DV88+ is a lovely player in progressive mode and good for cd sound as well - if you are not so interested in the sound though you may want to check out the pio or look at the arcam that is the model higher second hand (which I wish I had).

CaM

5. totem

totem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I very much like my pioneer 757, not PAL progressive, but may become so (see threads), however i find the pal output very good even though it is not progressive. the cd sound could be better, but you can add a stand alone player such as the arcam cd 72, as i have done, giving a total of about £1000. this gives me a good all round solution

my setup: Panasonic AE300, Sony 32FQ75, Pioneer 757Ai, Arcam CD72, Denon AV 11SR, Monitor Audio GR20/Centre/10 & VDH cables

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I also went from a 737 to 757. Tested Arcam, philips and Denon too. In my opinion the 757 is absolutely terrfic value for money against features available. You can search and find comments and details given in other threads since Jan'03. There is no better high end DVD player in interlace mode (hard to separate from progressive). It has excellent NTSC prog scan and as mentioned you can also upgrade it for PAL soon. Finally, if you check this forum you will find that the 757 has the least (if any!) problems reported against the other three. Hope it helps... test to make your decision!