Best package under 1k?

T0M

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Wanting to change my now ageing speaker package, Mission 77 (http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/SpeakerPackages/Mission/Mission77Series.php).

Requirements:

- I have a budget of no more than 1k.
- Sub in package is optional as I own a baby REL Quake - but if a speaker package includes a sub that would outperform the Quake then that's fine.
- For movie use only.
- Small home cinema room 5m (w) x 3m (d) four chairs currently on the back wall and so seating position is 3m away from speakers and screen) - seats take up the entire 5m and so the outside ones are at the extreme of front speaker placement
- I like a wide sound stage with accurate positioning - almost clinical - if you know what I mean.

I have a humble Yahama DSPA5 at the moment but WILL be changing that once some intergrated amps hit market supporting the new HD formats.

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Also, my mate has offered £250 for my current Mission speaker package (x2 773e's, x2 77DS, x1 77C1) - is this a good price, I feel it is?

Purely for movie use, nothing comes close to the M&K packages - should be some deals around too. Otherwise, the Quad L-ite package is a runner up. Great sub too.

It's an outstanding package.
Of course, I'm slightly biased, because I own it :D
But there was a demo day, where a few members, (myself included) went to listen to them. Do a search on here.

The only thing is, it's hard to demo them as the only outlet is in Kent.
I have yet to read a bad opinion of that setup anywhere on the net, so trust me, you can't go wrong with those.
Speakers on their own are a good deal, but the 3 subs I've mentioned will give you the "extra" compared to your Rel :thumbsup:

Hmm, having read that review, I think you might be being a bit hasty.

I'm not so sure you would get much improvement for a grand.
The specs are pretty good and whilst I know they're not everything, I'd strongly suggest you listen before you buy, whatever you do :smashin:

EDIT:
I'm surprised the Missions were considered weak in the mid range.
Here I can say the SVS are quite good.
In fact, much better than my previous MS 9xx

Hmm, having read that review, I think you might be being a bit hasty...

Thanks alot for your help Badger-0-0, you last comment certainly has surprised me indeed, perhaps age isn't everything.

I was just expecting that after six years for technology / speaker build to have moved on and that ofr the same money now i'd end up with much better performance.

What specifcally in my old speakers spec do you find worthy of note.

Your views greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot for your help Badger-0-0, you last comment certainly has surprised me indeed, perhaps age isn't everything.

I was just expecting that after six years for technology / speaker build to have moved on and that ofr the same money now i'd end up with much better performance.

What specifcally in my old speakers spec do you find worthy of note.

Your views greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to make a reserved judgement here, but it's difficult, because I haven't heard your setup.
Hopefully, someone with more experience will give a better opinion, but I'll chuck my tuppence worth in anyway :)

I fail to see how you are going to improve on your fronts in a package, for that money.
Moving to bookshelfs or even worse titchy/lifestyle speakers is going to be a backward move, IMO.
If you have the room, I'd seriously consider putting your fronts at the back and spending the dough on a superior front end, although that might be seen as being a bit OTT.
In which case flog the fronts and keep the rears.

As I said before, I'd put more emphasis on the sub and I stand by that.
Your Quake can be improved on, especially for HT use.
The Monolith would top my list. At £400, it's excellent if it can beat my PB10 (apparently it does, by a whisker).
That would make a massive contribution to the overall sound and IMO is your best single upgrade.
I would say that when you go to bigger subs, you are much more likely to experience boom and you may need to get a bit of EQ, but that can be done at a later date (BFD at £100).

You would now have good rears and a decent sub :smashin:
So now, the question I'd be asking is what to put at the front?
Still leaves you £600, so a decent choice :)
Punt the Quake out and you're nearer £800 ish :smashin:

Hmm, that's where I'm stuck :D

I'm sure you already know 3 of the same make/range is favourite.
But now I'd suggest you're looking at quality :thumbsup:

I'm not sure £250 for your setup is such a good price.
I doubt it, in all honesty.

Hmm, you have the DS? :)

Keep those, definitely, if you're happy :smashin:
I don't like diffuse rears (bi/dipolars), but that's me :)

I don't think I answered your question really, so I'll have a stab.

Although 6 years is a fair amount of time, I don't think there have been many steps forward.
Your front speakers have two mids.
With a reasonable crossover, they aren't going to be outdone by a single mid-range driver, I would hope :rolleyes:
I'd definitely consider keeping those.

That's why I said, whatever you do, go and listen first :smashin:

You may well end up thinking there is no improvement at all :)

Conversely, I'd say that the OP will probably notice a significant difference in a new speaker package. I owned the mission 77 series also (in fact that exact same package for a while before changing the fronts to Mission 775es). The mission sound was, in my experience, quite coloured and by comparison to other brands such as M&K - which incidentally was what I changed to at the time - muddy and bland.

So I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by changing. That said, I would recommend that - for now - retaining the rears, and investing all your money in the front three. Then change the rears when funds allow. And as Badger said....whatever you do, go and listen first and if possible, get a home demo as that's the real test :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom