1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best OS for SS? who runs what?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JJ VDUB, Jun 10, 2005.

1. JJ VDUB

JJ VDUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what PC spec and OS do people run with SS. gonna upgrade my PC want to know whats best. It really doesnt like 98SE!!

thanks,
    JJ

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Sony recommend Windows XP.

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its not the os its just ss sucks big time, im running xp pro and its still rubbish.

4. JJ VDUB

JJ VDUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fair enough, but even at its worst it shouldnt routinely freeze and crash my pc every time I try to load a CD. I figure it must be a set up issue on my PC. If I get XP and a better spec PC Im hoping it will at least run!!

How do I wipe the memory on my HD3. I will want to start from scratch with my new PC?

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well on xp it crashes when trying to move files onto my hd3 pretty frequently. ohh and it wont accept my cdrom drive at all and crashes if i try and use it, dont you love sony!

to wipe your hd3 go to the menu

menu->format->initialise hard disk->warning you will lose data->ok ;)

6. JJ VDUB

JJ VDUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snap, thats exactly what mine does, however, it crashes my whole computer. I was successful about 1 in 5 attempts. and a reboot every time gets very tedious!!!

guess it is the sh*tness of ss and not just down to the spec of the PC. how can sony develop an 'essential' tool for the player that is so fragile if you have anything but the 'exact same PC' as their testers, it crashes???? doesn make sense. there must be a way of making it run stable consistently.. just got to find out what it is. has anyone e-mailed sony on this from the forum? think I might.

7. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you use ss to rip cds? have you tried different programs instead, if you want mp3 not atrac there are loads out there that are far far better, i gave up on ss after a day! you still have to use it for transfer but at least 1 headache has been prevented. have a google for cd ripping programs, i use cdex but there are loads out there just as good.

8. JJ VDUB

JJ VDUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea not for CDS, just bare minimum use for suporting the HD3 and even that is a nightmare!

9. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried the vaio drag and drop utility?

10. JJ VDUB

JJ VDUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where can I get this. Ive seen it mentioned elsewher on the forum??

11. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I know you all love your HD3 and 5's but honestly I dont know how you can stick with this when the software sounds so damn horrific. I loaded I-tunes from the disk and it has never crashed at all, or frozen, it just works.

You lot must love the wee sony if you still put up with it after all that. :D

12. JJ VDUB

JJ VDUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    constructive thanks.... Ive only just got the H3 so will give it a chance...

The sound on the Ipods Ive used is simply not as good as the Sony however you spin it only on the lossless does it come close and then it takes up to much space. I dont want to start a debate but for me the top priority was how the player sounded (to me!) I didnt realise the software would be this bad but still will put up with it for better battery at high bit rate/smaller player/ and better SQ....

13. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep same here, you can get the vaio utility from the sony website. its a nice little thing but you cant use groups with it like you can on ss.

14. JJ VDUB

JJ VDUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you post a link, I cant find it on the sony site.

thanks

no groups... but does it still keep tracks together under artist/album. or is this classed as a group still?

15. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SS has been pretty good for me only thing is its a lil bit slooooow, but only crashed the first time I got it because I wasn't used to the way it worked and overloaded it to do tooooooo much lol, but since then its been good enough

16. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might as well ugrade to XP since thats the latest os and God windows me was absolutely the most UNSTABLE os windows could have produced, my old comp would constantly hang...

17. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554

EDIT - Tried to post a link, but old link on Sony website is dead sorry ....

It should be out there somewhere though .... "google" it.

It's called, "VAIO music transfer" and its .exe file is

musicmv.exe

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    XP pro, latest security patches of course + latest drivers off Sony site, I have never had a hardware problem with SS 3.1. It has never crashed or frozen on me. PC specs aren't all that impressive either: Intel Celeron 2ghz with 248 ram. Although upping the virtual memory did help as well as weekly defrag sessions

19. briankai

briankai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the love of god, don't update your entire OS just for SonicStage... that would be akin to volunteering to toss Sony's salad for free, instead of kicking them in the balls for unleashing such a blight upon us all like they deserve.

Just use the Vaio tool... it leaves a smaller footprint on your system, is much easier to use, and seems to be far more stable. Your system will thank you.

Kai

20. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apropos of Vaio Music Transfer - i got a copy and it seems very neat and quick, but it appears to want to convert everything to Atrac - is this correct ?

What i would really like is a drag n drop proggie which simply puts the OMG wrapper on my Mp3's... but i suppose that doesnt exsist.

Anyone know if there are any plans to make plug-ins for Musicmatch jukebox etc for the NW-HD 5 or has Sony kept the conversion codes for OMG all tight n secret to itself ?

21. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Perhaps you have version 1.1, here's the upgrade to version 1.2 which allows for MP3 transfer.

http://www.css.ap.sony.com/VAIO/download/summary.asp?Id=30974&Cat=VAIO Accessories

If you have a link to install 1.1 I would appreciate it as I prefer atrac3plus 64K so this would remove an extra stage for me as I currently need to run the separate Sony MP3 conversion utility if I want to use the Vaio one.

22. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running Sonic Stage 1.5 on XP with no problems at all - completely stable.

I did however, have to upgrade to XP to get SS to run at all.