Best options under £1200?

jonno_p

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can someone please help me out as im so confused! Ive looked at various posts but the more i read the more confused i get.

Im in the market for a new TV have an old 42" Plasma at the minute but would like to get something a bit bigger so was looking at a 50" Plasma or a 46" LCD.

Will mainly be used for watching SD tv, xbox 360 and PS3 Gaming (may occasionally watch a blue ray on PS3) and i do intend to get SKY HD at some point in the future. I sit in my armchair mainly about 9 feet away although my sofa is only about 7 feet away.

I dont think im bothered about 1080p full HD as i dont expect to use it much and im sure i wont notice the difference.

Anyway here are some questions that maybe some of you could answer

1 - Will an LCD be better for the Gaming side? Im worried i wont be able to use the plasma for gaming untill its had its 200 hr run in?

2 - What realistic difference between a res of 1024x768 and 1365x768 and is the higher res better?

3 - General opinion is if you sit closer to the tv then 1080p is important with a set over 42" is this correct? and how much difference will it make at 7-9 feet?

My budget is £1200 max and the options ive looked at so far are:

Plasma - the Panasonic TH50PX70 (£1000) or the Samsung PS50Q97HDx (£899) not sure if the difference in res on these two makes much difference?

LCD - Sharp LC46XL2E (Full 1080p) at £1199 inc free blueray player

Hope some of you can help me on this one, many thanks in advance

Well my post in sinking faster than the titanic and nobody can answer my questions? I thought this was the best place to come to get some answers so hopefully someone out there can help!

Can someone please help me out as im so confused! Ive looked at various posts but the more i read the more confused i get.

Im in the market for a new TV have an old 42" Plasma at the minute but would like to get something a bit bigger so was looking at a 50" Plasma or a 46" LCD.

Will mainly be used for watching SD tv, xbox 360 and PS3 Gaming (may occasionally watch a blue ray on PS3) and i do intend to get SKY HD at some point in the future. I sit in my armchair mainly about 9 feet away although my sofa is only about 7 feet away.

I dont think im bothered about 1080p full HD as i dont expect to use it much and im sure i wont notice the difference.

Anyway here are some questions that maybe some of you could answer

1 - Will an LCD be better for the Gaming side? Im worried i wont be able to use the plasma for gaming untill its had its 200 hr run in?

2 - What realistic difference between a res of 1024x768 and 1365x768 and is the higher res better?

3 - General opinion is if you sit closer to the tv then 1080p is important with a set over 42" is this correct? and how much difference will it make at 7-9 feet?

My budget is £1200 max and the options ive looked at so far are:

Plasma - the Panasonic TH50PX70 (£1000) or the Samsung PS50Q97HDx (£899) not sure if the difference in res on these two makes much difference?

LCD - Sharp LC46XL2E (Full 1080p) at £1199 inc free blueray player

Hope some of you can help me on this one, many thanks in advance

Personally i would forget the LCD option with such a large screen...SD will look horrendous.
ON a 50 Plasma....you WILL notice the difference in Full hd or not..........(expensive though and i think out of your budget range ?? ))
You can still play games during the 200 hour run in....just turn your settings down on your tv.
Out of the 3 TV`s u posted...the panny px50 is the best 1 IMO.I have a 42px70...it really is a brilliant TV...i play PS3 games....and blue ray..it looks the dogs......
Dont forget also...PS3 games only play in 720 anyways.........(read the back of the box)..........
Good luck with your decision....i am sure more people will add their bit to this post too.......

Dont forget also...PS3 games only play in 720 anyways.........(read the back of the box)..........

Some play in 1080p.
As above, I would forget about LCD for larger size screens, For 50" I don't think you will find better than the Panasonic PX70 within your budget. If it can be strtched a little then the PZ70 is worth a look.

I would agree that if you are looking for a 50" panel under £1200 then the 50px70 is the ideal option. It even leaves you with money to spare.

I've had my 50pz70 a few weeks now and I've been playing PS3 games on it from the moment the box was opened. There's no need to be cautious, just don't turn the TV up really bright and leave it on pause for the afternoon.

I don't see how an LCD could be better for gaming unless you love to leave your games on pause for several hours with no screen saver.

As for distances to sit... Well when watching TV I am generally 10 to 12ft away. However when I play games I tend to sit on the floor and then I'm probably only 6 to 8ft away. I'm sure all the guides say that's too close, but it looks great to me.

Not sure why you would want a free Blu-ray player, surely you already have a PS3 ?

My advice would be that you can spend forever depating plus and negative points, however one fact that will always stay the same is that the 50px70 will offer you everything that you want, and more, for less than your budget. Go ahead and get one ordered !

I brought a ph10 42" las year and wonder about buying a 50" now

is the px50 as good as the ph range

Thanks everyone for your replys, so the LCD option sounds a big no no based on SD performance. Nobody picked up on the 1024x768 res being lower than some of the other 50" options in my price bracket. Will that make a big difference?

I would agree that if you are looking for a 50" panel under £1200 then the 50px70 is the ideal option. It even leaves you with money to spare.

I've had my 50pz70 a few weeks now and I've been playing PS3 games on it from the moment the box was opened. There's no need to be cautious, just don't turn the TV up really bright and leave it on pause for the afternoon.

I don't see how an LCD could be better for gaming unless you love to leave your games on pause for several hours with no screen saver.

As for distances to sit... Well when watching TV I am generally 10 to 12ft away. However when I play games I tend to sit on the floor and then I'm probably only 6 to 8ft away. I'm sure all the guides say that's too close, but it looks great to me.

Not sure why you would want a free Blu-ray player, surely you already have a PS3 ?

My advice would be that you can spend forever depating plus and negative points, however one fact that will always stay the same is that the 50px70 will offer you everything that you want, and more, for less than your budget. Go ahead and get one ordered !

Yeah my thinking was the blue ray player would have been sold on ebay for about £150 so making the tv cheaper. Its a Sharp deal with that model so could not find it cheaper without it.

Nobody picked up on the 1024x768 res being lower than some of the other 50" options in my price bracket. Will that make a big difference?

Picture quality unfortunately doesn't directly link to resolution and time after time panels with lower resolutions come out on top over those with higher ones.

There are also many good reasons quoted for better performance (especially SD) on lower res panels, mainly because they have to do MUCH less processing to display the picture.

I really wouldn't worry about this.. Read reviews.. Go look at the set in action (running from a good source) and listen to people's experiences that own one; but don't worry just for the sake of numbers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom