1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best options for Sony Wide Screen TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Alan1975, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Alan1975

Alan1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

I have just bought a Sony KV28FX68U 28" widescreen and have couple of questions,

Firstly what connection will give me the best picture from a Playstation 2. I know the TV has 3 scart connections, two of which are RGB. I do have a scart cable running from the Playstation 2 but it was a cable that I bought originally for the Playstation 1 about 5 years ago from Blockbuster and I have a suspicion it isn't RGB, can anyone confirm this? Certainly the symbol that should appear when a RGB source is connected, isn't appearing.

Secondly, the picture quality from the normal bog standard aerial is poor and I think the 100hz exaggerates this, picture quality with a DVD is brilliant so its not the TV, any suggestions?. I am in a area where I can receive NTL cable if that is the best option (obviously this has extra monthly cost that I would like to avoid) or perhaps upgrading the aerial is the way to go?

Thanks

Alan

2. Stumpy1967

Stumpy1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Alan
    Im thinking of buying one of these myself and have found a useful review at http://www.whatvideomag.com/. The review is for its bigger brother KV32FX68. This will tell you that the analogue picture is not all that. You may want to invest in a digibox, cable or sky which all provide a digital signal to your tv.
    If youve got a cable telephone getting the basic tv package shouldnt be too expensive.
    Hope you get it sorted

Stumps..

3. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Hi,

I have the 32"FX66 model and have it set up as the following.

I have it set to Dynamic picture mode and set to WIDE.

Then i have my Sky Digibox in AV1 which is RGB and then my DVD Player in AV2 which is also set to RGB and then my PS2 in AV3 which is not RGB (but swap it over when i want to quality picture from the PS2 to either AV1 or 2).

Basically untill you get Sky or a Freeview box i would run your DVD Player off AV1 and then your PS2 off AV2 and then your Video off AV3.

I would also recommend you buy an RGB SCART lead for your PS2 and make sure you have it set to RGB in the setup menus as you will notice the difference from an RGB souce to AV3 which is non RGB

I hope this has made sense.

And i agree these TV's do make the picture bad if your Aerial is not so good. But believe me when you have a good source the picture quality is just amazing.

Also play around with the picture settings it took me over a week of tinkering the set before i got it perfect and have not touched it since.

Good Luck

Dal

4. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    ALSO -

Infact I saw the Daewoo SetPal Freeview box in Tescos this morning for £59.99 which if im not correct is supposed to be a very good box and you would benefit from this little Purchase...

5. Alan1975

Alan1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

Defiantly going to get a RGB scart for the PS2.

Sorry i am not too clued up on the freeview boxes, they run off the analog aerial feed is that right? If so do they boost/filter the signal?

6. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Hi check out www.freeview.co.uk for a better understanding

Basically you get a set-top box which will take your normal aerial feed and then allow you to then recieve 30+ digital channels in widescreen format with an excellent picture.

Its just a good alternative to having a Sky contract as once you have paid for the box thats it.

Check out the link, plus check that you can recieve Freeview in your area.

Dal