• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best option

Shakka1

Established Member
I'm bamboozled.....

Could I get some advice re cables please as I can't figure out best option. Thought I knew what I d doing and now I'm not so sure!

Here's scenario....

- 65 inch 4k TV going on wall (4 HDMI / Ethernet / optical / etc)

- soundbar (3 HDMI in and 1 ARC HDMI out)

- sources (sky / ps4 / etc) in corner of room with router.

I was going to run 4 x 5 metre HDMI cables (Amazon basic high speed?) to TV with shotgun cable for free sat twin tuner, coax for freeview Hd, 5 metre ethernet cable for router.

I was then going to have 1m HDMI (amazon basic high speed?) and optical cable going down to soundbar. The sound bar could effectively be an AV receiver but I've came to the conclusion it d be easier having the sources going direct to the TV...?

Is this the best way? The Amazon HDMI cables future proof for 4k / sky q etc?

Is a 5m Ethernet best for hard working internet?

I'm I forgetting anything?

Cheers!

Spot on with original idea.

5m HDMI cables to soundbar and then one HDMi to TV, Amazon basics are fine . If they are labelled as HDMI High Speed they will be the same as any other cable. 5M Ethernet cable is also fine.

If TV is also ARC capable then you wont need the optical cable

Depending on the soundbar you will get the best sound quality via HDMI from the source, using the TV as the HDMI switch you will not get full HD audio

Shakka1

Established Member
The soundbar is the Sony ht-rt5 5.1 with the wireless rears. It enables uhd 'pass-through 4k / hdcp 2.2.

TV is the sony kd65x9005c (x90c for short). The TV does do pass-through of 5.1 according to Sony via the ARC and optical but Sony said the optical would be better.

I'm trying to make it as future proof as I can without going OTT... When the cables are in it'll be hard the change them

Ok, but optical wont pass through things like dts-HD so best to have external sources connected to the soundbar via HDMI. Just use the optical for smart TV and internal tuner audio

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom