Best option to stream PC Screen to TV

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by yokozuma, Mar 29, 2018.

1. yokozuma

yokozuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    I'm moving my PC upstairs, away from the TV and amp etc. where it's been happily connected for some time.

Got Plex and other bits to stream easily but would still like to view the actual PC screen from time to time. Moving into a room with a solid hardwood floor so no chance of running HDMI or RJ-45 down through the ceiling.

Got a new TP-Link Power Line to send Ethernet up but pretty sure this doesn't carry HDMI. Not sure if the Chromecast 'cast to desktop' is any good...and I'm a wires man anyway.

Been out of the AV game for a while so my brain's not picking up the obvious option!

2. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    What OS is your PC running, and what media devices are connected to your TV ? If you're running a Pro version of Windows, there are a number of remote desktop clients available for some types of media players. If you have a Chromecast device, then you can throw either a chrome tab or a Windows desktop to it.

3. yokozuma

yokozuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Do have Win 10 Pro, didn't know about media players have RDC so will do some research, thanks!

4. groen

groen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sounds like you could use the powerline adapters to stream to any streaming device that supports bitstreaming and then from the streaming device use HDMI 2 cable to your AV Receiver or TV. Could also try wifi I guess.

There are many sources about what is the best streaming device. It is best to google top 4k streamers and see what comes up. I am sure others could offer some preferences. I have not yet tried streaming device. I just run a 10m HDMI cable from my PC to the AVR.

5. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Unless you're willing to run HDMI / Cat6 cables between the two points - there's no way to send the output from the PC directly to the TV.

The TP-Links won't support sending HDMI over Cat6 with the likes of the Neet HDBaseT baluns as the baluns use a completely different protocol to the IP protocol the TP-Links support (the baluns just happen to use RJ45 connections for ease-of-use).

One workaround that MIGHT work, is to use a Steam Link combined with the TP-Link powerline adapters as the Steam Link converts the PC screen image to a signal that is compatible with the IP protocol and can safely be sent across an ethernet cable. Caveat: I haven't tried this personally (yet) - but there's no reason why it shouldn't work. YMMV. Video of desktop streaming can be found here.

Nate