Best option for physical media only throughout an apartment?

tinpanalley

Standard Member
This is a physical media question. I'm not looking for streaming service suggestions, we don't use them at all.

We're moving into a new place soon and my wife and I have noticed that because of the layout, our stereo where we listen to mostly CDs, records, and a large collection of music on harddrives will be down a long hall from the kitchen/dining area where we're likely to spend enough time to want to be able to hear that music there as well. Without wanting to run speaker wire down this long hall because that would be ridiculous, we've learned about the Sonos Port which would let us hear whatever the 5.1 Yamaha receiver in the living room is playing at any moment whether it's records, CDs, the hard drive music, etc by getting some Sonos speakers in the dining area.
So here's the problem I'm having understanding this. It seems these types of systems want to force you to use their speakers at the main hub as well. Can't I just connect my old receiver and its various audio devices to a non speaker hub that then sends the audio via Wifi to wireless speakers on our network over in the dining area? I don't need any more speakers in our living room, it would be completely pointless. I thought the Audiopro Link One was such a hub but it turns out it's for sending a wireless music signal to your receiver only, not a hub that sends a signal OUT to wireless speakers. Because it has no RCA or headphone jack inputs. Can someone help me out here? I'm feeling a bit lost.
I see there are several Wifi based audio solutions similar to the Sonos, are they in any way better for this simple setup that is purely for physical media? I hear about other ones even having better audio but Sonos just being the most popular is that true?
...ok, too many questions, sorry. Thanks for any help.

muljao

Any maker will likely require you have an input and output of their brand. If you went say the Yamaha music cast route you could play something in one room and listen in another, but you'd need a yamaha music cast in other room also. One alternative would be to install a bluetooth wireless transmitter to an output in the room that has all the physical media, and a receiver in the other room, plugged into desired stereo, or no receiver and wireless bluetooth speakers

The higher quality aptx hd types etc are good enough for great sound and the stronger transmitters should manage the length of most apartments without issie

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you have a Yamaha, does it have MusicCast? As @muljao says, you can simply add any of Yamaha's wireless MusicCast components (some even have a Bluetooth option to) and so long as everything is connected to a router, you will be able to play your hard copies on to each device. Do not this will be a little harder if you which to play different music at the same time though.

If this is the case, you could create a music hub where you have archived all your physical copies (it's a pain to do if you have a lot of CD's) and then you will be able to access what tracks you want from each wireless device.

One word of warning though, you will need some control solution like a compatible mobile phone, pad, etc... to select the tracks and this will be the same with MusicCast, Heos, Sonos etc...

tinpanalley

Standard Member
If you have a Yamaha, does it have MusicCast? As @muljao says, you can simply add any of Yamaha's wireless MusicCast components (some even have a Bluetooth option to) and so long as everything is connected to a router, you will be able to play your hard copies on to each device. Do not this will be a little harder if you which to play different music at the same time though.

If this is the case, you could create a music hub where you have archived all your physical copies (it's a pain to do if you have a lot of CD's) and then you will be able to access what tracks you want from each wireless device.

One word of warning though, you will need some control solution like a compatible mobile phone, pad, etc... to select the tracks and this will be the same with MusicCast, Heos, Sonos etc...
I don't have a Yamaha with MusicCast otherwise I wouldn't be asking this. ;)
And as I said in my post this is for physical media playback. I'm not ripping my 1000 CDs and 550 LPs.
It sounds like the Sonos Port is the only thing I can use because it can input a receiver and sends out a WiFi signal to any other Sonos speakers in the home. I can't find any other devices that do that while allowing the input of a receiver, CD player, or other audio devices that aren't wireless. So I'm hoping the audio is good quality and that the reviewers I'm reading are just extraordinarily picky.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Have you considered the fact that if you do get a solution that transmits over wireless to your kitchen you would still have to walk all of the way back down 'the long hall' to the turntable every 20 minutes to turn the album over/change it and miss the beginning of the first track? To be honest you are hobbling yourself by insisting on sticking to physical media when probably the majority of your LPs and CDs are available on one of the many streaming services. Then you only have to rip to hard disk the ones you cannot find on a streaming service. Much simpler to have a server that you can then access from any location over your house network to your chosen speaker solution in each room.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom