1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best option for overscan??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by tim k, Jun 21, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setup the sp50, but at native 1280X720p i have a about 10% overscan all around the edges. my nvidia card has option to drag the screen down if your mouse hovers at the edge, which is good, but still not a great option.

if i use the underscan option i reduce the resolution, and its not true 720p. so not true hd, so what do you guys do for hdmi?

2. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im pretty sure you use powerstrip custom setting of 1280x720 at 50hz to get true 1:1 pixel map? I think some people had the same problem with lcd projectors cause ati and nvidia's display settings are designed mostly for 4:3 vga resolutions.
    p.s. some of the recent nvidia's have component output so there obviously taking notice of the 16:9 htpc generation.

3. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi Tim - I have my SP50 connected up to my PC via HDMI at 1280x720p with no overscan. I managed this using powerstrip starting with a standard resolution and then customising it slightly.

Check out my more detailed post here - which includes screen shots of my powerstrip settings:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1655801&postcount=21

and also my reply to your previous post on the same subject:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211977&highlight=sp50+powerstrip

Do a search for powerstrip and kableman and you'll get a load of threads. But the above link shows my exact settings and it works a treat. Interestingly since posting this my screen now appears with a black border framing the entire desktop - I don't remember it doing this before - but it still looks perfect and HD looks fantastic on it.

Good Luck
    KableMan

4. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have had some very strange experiences trying to get pixel perfect and no (reduced) overscan. I tried Kablemans settings but these do not work for me :(

I have succeed but in a different way.

See this thread for a long (sorry) description of the steps I took.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221319

I do not belive that I should have to do all of the described but it is the only way I have found successful.

Kableman in your set up did you use a tool to prove you had pixel perfect setup? If so which? I have been using the Nokia tool. I seems to work for me. I wanted to know if there are others I could be using.

Also could you maybe copy the powerstrip setting and paste them here? (you probalby know this but just in case - there is a copy button on the settings screen that can be used)

One final question to Kableman! In you set up when you press p.size on the remote. Are there extra resize options available on the screen? I found these only appeared when I set the refresh to 60hz.

Cheers!

5. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ill give it a go, the overscan hdtv option nvidia have just released works ok for me at the moment, i just pan the mouse outside the screen and it shunts over. this is then true 720p sureley if you use powerstrip this effects the native resolution and therefore not true hd?

6. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I agree.

This then must mean that a conversion is going on when HD material is played. I do not play any HD material regaully though.

I am mainly using the HTPC as a computer and more importantly as a DVD player.

When ever the screen set up is not pixel perfect it drives me mad for surfing the web or any text based documents. The text appears smudged in places darker ane ligther in others.

For DVD playback again being pixel perfect should improve the playback. I was already getting some stunning DVD quality. I have noticed an improvement but not huge.

7. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I forgot the point...

So for me having some overscan is ok. But being pixel perfect is what I really want.

I have not managed to get 0 overscan and pixel perfect. Just reduced overscan and pixel perfect.

This is good for me at the moment.

8. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi DLPMaybe/Tim - I haven't used anything to check pixel accuracy - to be honest I didn't even know I could! I had a Toshiba DLP before the Samsung and they both said, in their respective manuals, that the VGA connection and 1024x768 was the best combination for text as you don't get the light/dark fuzzy look. I do get this even at 1280x720p via HDMI with or without overscan. If I could improve this i'd be interested to know how.

As I said I do get a border around the outside at 720p. I didn't get this originally but it started happending recently - the border is the same as the one you get when running 1024x768 but the desktop resolution is far higher and aspect ratio is obviously 16:9. So if I could loose the border at 720p and improve the pixel ratio great but it does not effect the quality or visual impact of HD material - it is just as impressive - so it's not a deal breaker for me.

I get 16:9 and 4:3 via HDMI at 60Hz (56Hz actually) - I do still get these options when running my DVD player (HD850) at 1280x720 outputting PAL and NTSC.

Cheers
    KableMan

PS. I'll post my settings this evening (if I remember when I get home!) :)

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    :hiya:

Nice to see you about again Kableman.

10. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have removed the dark light and fuzzy text with hdmi 1280 720. I believe this is an indication that the mapping is pixel perfect. I described the steps in here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221319

It is a very weird solution. I would really be interested to here if this works on other sets just to confirm I am not totally bonkers. It makes a massive difference for viewing text. I had convinced myself that it was impossible to achieve so when it happen by accient I was very happy.

For losing the black border try the following:

Press p.size on the remote.
    If there are three settings to the right of the 16:9 text it can be fixed with these.
    If there are no extra options. Let me know. These options only appear with certain settings in powerstrip. I will also paste my settings in here. I will do this on Saturday I am traveling at the moment.

To be clear I still do not have perfect settings on the TV. I can either have:

0% overscan without pixel perfect.
    or
    Small amout of overscan with pixel perfect.

I prefer the "Small amout of overscan with pixel perfect." option.

11. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hey Razor - Yes in a way I guess its a good sign if someone's about a lot - complaining :) and then buys a TV and disappears for long periods - it can only be a good sign - maybe they could measure such members? For me its definately an indication of a happy DLP owner - I watch so much on this wondeful Samsung DLP! Especially HDTV and I've signed up to Amazon's DVD rental too - superb I love it - not a single complaint - 50 inches of pure TV heaven :smashin:

DLPMaybe - This pixel perfection isn't a big issue for me as I use my normal monitor for surfing and reading (as my PC is setup in the same room but separate) and but I really want no overscan for watching movies and playing games.

Here are my powerstrip settings:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1280x720=1280,160,48,256,720,5,5,20,74250,2308

Generic timing details for 1280x720:
    HFP=160 HSW=48 HBP=256 kHz=43 VFP=5 VSW=5 VBP=20 Hz=57

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1280x720" 74.250 1280 1440 1488 1744 720 725 730 750 +hsync -vsync

I can't wait for them to start broadcasting HD though! Sky's HD website was up briefly recently apparently - they are starting to ramp up for a launch I think.

Hey Razor - did you know that LOST is starting on channel 4 in august :thumbsup: although not HD :(

Cheers
    KableMan

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Kableman :hiya:

Glad to hear your happy with your set, :thumbsup: there are a few rumors that sky hd will be with us this year but who nows. I certainy hope so. :clap:

Lost on Channel 4 is great news but I have seen them all, it finished in the US about 4-5 weeks ago. :( Five more series are planned. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you seen all the episode's? The HD quality is very good. :eek:

13. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Yes seen the lot - superb - can't wait for season 2!

Stargate, Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica all start July 15th over in the states in HD - great if you're into sci-fi! Can't wait :D