1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best option for older user?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Typical Janner, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Typical Janner

Typical Janner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always full of surprises, my 75 year old mother announced at the weekend that she wanted to get a flat panel television to replace her (equally elderly) 26 inch CRT.

So, some advice would be very much appreciated :cool:

In this case, ease of setup and use is perhaps the main priority. Connectivity is not a significant concern, as she is only likely to connect a VCR, which will only ever get used once in long long while. Having said that, if the television doesn't have an integrated tuner (ideally digital), we would need to connect a tuner. She does have Sky Digital, but this would need relocating if it were to go where the new television will be. As she does not actually subscribe to Sky any longer (and doesn't want to), it would seem logical to use either an integrated tuner or a STB (the former would be preferred, as I am keen to keep things as simple as possible, and one less remote would definitely be a good thing). We do have a spare Tivo box, so I suppose this could be used as an analogue tuner if necessary (correct?), but again this adds unwanted complexity.

Obviously, we would be looking for the best picture quality possible. As for sound, an AV amp and speakers would (again) only add unwanted complexity, so onboard sound/speakers would be preferred.

If the televisions doesn't have an integrated tuner, what would be the best option? Does a basic Freeview box provide a good enough feed?

Initial browsing would suggest a 32 inch LCD with an integrated tuner (such as the Panasonic TX32LXD1) or a 37/42 inch plasma (Panasonic TH-37PE30?) would be the broad area we would be choosing from. As for budget, probably £2500.

So, thoughts and suggestions would be very welcome :)

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    If you (or your mum) are seeking ease of use then the Panasonic Viera's will be ideal for your needs. The TH-37PE30B, 37" plasma TV, has an analogue tuner with analogue teletext and also includes an integrated DVB digital terrestrial tuner. A simple press of the DVB button on the remote toggles between analogue and digital mode. The TV also includes speakers that provide pretty decent sound quality. The TV also boasts 3 SCART's and component connectivity round the back more than enough for your mum's VCR and possibly a DVD player too :) I suggest performing a search in the plasma/lcd section of the forum for either "Viera" or "PE30" and you'll pick up plenty of posts hopefully with lots of useful information.

S.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Either of the panny's 37" Plasma or 32" LCD would be perfect, other options include Sharps 32" LCD GD series, as it has digital and analogue tuners.

4. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I agree...

Go for THIS :thumbsup:

With the cabinet its just a touch over the £2500 but looks very nice :smashin:

5. Typical Janner

Typical Janner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like mother is about to get herself a new TH-37PE30 :)

Now I just have to hope that I can use this as a way of convincing the missus that we should get a plasma too :laugh: Trouble is, our 46 inch Toshiba RPTV still does a pretty fine job. Anybody care to buy it :lease: :D