Best online shops for buying hi fi bits?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by deadmoon, May 1, 2007.

1. deadmoon

deadmoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am going to be getting some speakers, amp etc in the next few days. What are the best online places to go for these?

Thanks

2. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Depends what you're after, but Superfi, and Peter Tyson are pretty good from personal experience.

3. deadmoon

deadmoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am after to buy a whole new hifi set... amp,speakers,turntable,cd player, and wires... :)

4. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    You could go into your local dealer and see if you can't haggle yourself a good deal. Sometimes it's really worth getting to know them.

Obviously there's Richer sounds as well - I've never ordered from them online; I always go into the shop. And if you want Cambridge Audio stuff, you've got no choice.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671

Be sure to try and listen to your choice(s) before buying them.

Many people make the expensive mistake of buying things blind or untried and regret it.

6. deadmoon

deadmoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When going in and listening to it though, i'll always be scared of not really knowing what sounds better tbh...
    wish buying speakers/amp etc was easy...

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Seriously,it's a much better option than buying a load of things untried.

You really need to take a few of your favourite CDs with you,and book a few demos before taking anything home,and preferably book a few home demos with anything you like.

You'll know pretty quickly what you like and dislike,with things you dont sounding tiring and fatiguing to listen to....this end of buying is always very subjective,with one person liking a bright,even sharp sound and another the complete opposite.

Please take your time,decide on a budget,and then listen to as many different systems as you have the time and patience for....it's time well spent,AND money saved.

8. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Couldn't agree more; demo, demo, demo.

Get it right and you'll have a system that'll last you years.

Get it wrong and you'll be stuffing your socks in your ears.:eek:

Speaking from experience; mistakes can be expensive!:rolleyes:

PS - deadmoon- just realised who you are - just seen your other thread.

9. Alex Napoleon

Alex Napoleon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying an amp and speakers is like a lottery online. You are much better off going to a decent dealer and spending some time, preferably doing a home dem. You will then get decent results, especially if the dealer knows what they are doing and installs it for you...

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i'm happy to push the dealer approach....yes online for a single purchase you will probably find a good deal.....but in a shop you can actually hear it to get a general idea of what a system sounds like and compare it to others....then so long as you can offer a card swipe for deposit you can get a home demo...

also, if you get to know your dealer and go back to them for stuff, you'll find the offers can sometime top an online shop.......

dont worry about not knowing if you can tell the difference, go in, listen, if you cant tell the difference then buy whatever appeals aesthetically in your budget......most people if they sit and listen will be able to tell differences between some systems......also listen for a while to a pair of speakers, a good half hour if you can at minimum, then listen to the next pair, then once you've listened to the models you like, listen through them all again.....

most important piece of information...if the dealer starts badgering you to decide and buy, dont buy.......good dealers dont push you to buy something, they are likely to offer opinions and make recommendations, but wont make you feel like you have no option but to buy there and then......thats what the bad dealers do......the good ones wont mind if you want to have a think and possibly come back for another listen.....

11. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I completely agree with everyone else, unless you know exactly what you want and how it will perform in your system and with equal importance, how it will sound in your room you will be taking a huge gamble.

Demo as much equipment as possible and then get a home demonstration. Most of the sound you will hear comes from the room so it is vital to get a home demo.

HiFi is like musical styles, it is all down to personal preference. Buy the system which you like and dont worry if the equipment is not loved by magazine reviews or other personal recommendations

12. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i would recommend Creative Audio

13. chubbers1408

chubbers1408
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I ve just purchased a pair of B&W 805s for my Primare CD31 / I30 / A30.2 setup.

After ringing around numerous hi fi shops asking for the best price with no apparent joy (RRP = £1600), I got to speak to Dave at Music Matters in Birmingham. He gave me the best price of £1440 including delivery. To top it all off, he personally delivered the speakers to my place of work which I found to be rather impressive (he said it was cheaper to do this than use a courier - journey from Wolverhampton to Sheffield)

14. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    i got my 805s from music matters as well and they where the cheapest I could find even though they would'nt deliver or knock as much as that off :( but was a fantastic shop to look around :rolleyes:

15. chubbers1408

chubbers1408
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Which branch of Music Matters as I believe they have several shops dotted around Birmingham. I got mine from the Edgbaston Store...

16. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Spot on advice!

Frankly, don't worry about the money right now. As already suggested, it's VERY easy to buy something that you don't actually like. Use your own ears and ignore not only the recommendations on here, but especially those in magazines. Everyone has their own preferences, yours might be substantially different.
    e.g. I see we have some B&W owners in this thread. Great speakers, apart from the fact that I really don't like them. Not that there's anything wrong with them, just not my cup of tea.

So go have a chat with some good local dealers. Grab a coffee, spin a few tunes and see what does it for you.