1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best On-Line Photo Developer?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by rowbos, Nov 8, 2003.

1. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Epson photo printer just died and I thought I'd try an online printers rather than buy a new printer at this stage...

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,

Steve.

2. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    hi,

try bonusprint.co.uk fairly good quality and cheap too starting from 15p per photo

or if you prefer matt photo's try photobox.co.uk

I've only used bonusprint so far and been quite pleased with the results.

3. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I have been using Photobox for some time now because they matt photos plus the service is fantastic.

e.g. I ordered a set of prints at 5:45 on a Friday evening and they arrived in my post box at 7:30 on the Saturday morning. How they did it I have no idea and the current mess with the postal service might stop this for now.

But in any event, the quality and service are as good as I have found.

If you just want cheap though, look at Bonusprint

4. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mmm, may try some at each to compare...

Thanks for the input

Steve.

5. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got my prints back from bonus print today, not too bad but the colours are a little muted compared to the originals, and also compared to my own printed copies on an Epson photo printer

Anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions? Should I enhance the colours before sending to BP - or try another developer?

Cheers,

Steve.

6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Since I started printing my own photos on my Canon S900, I would not go back to getting photo labs to print my photos, as I've found the quality to be far superior than anything these so-called professionals produce.

Then, of course, you've also got the advantage of being able to play around with the cropping and orientation as you like. Also, if you need to print one photo, say to give to a friend, you can do this quickly and easily. Getting someone like bonus print or photobox to do this takes time and also incurs postage costs which, for a single photo, is extortionate - Photobox will charge 29p plus £1.50 postage, so a single 6x4 photo will cost you nearly £2.00!!!!!

Good photo printers are so cheap these days, I see no reason not to print your own.

Sorry, I know this strictly isn't an answer to your question, but I feel it does have some relevance. As you've already pointed out, you weren't as happy with the prints you got back as when you printed them yourself, so any cost savings (if indeed there are any) of getting a photo lab to print for you, is, in my view, pointless if you're not 100% happy with what you get back.

Finally, you might be able to find a lab that does excellent printing, but who's to say that in a year's time, the results will be just as good? I know in the past when I used to use film, I'd find a really good company, then gradually the quality would deteriorate and I'd then have to experiment until I found another lab who were good. At least doing it yourself should provide some uniformity and consistency in your prints.

7. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Fair enough, may start looking round at photo printers ... thoughts?

My last Epson was good, but sufered from the ink drying slightly if I didnt use it very regularly, then it would sometimes take 10 head cleans to get it going again, then the ink would run out and it would require a new cartridge, so a few issues...

Steve.

8. THFC

THFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Epson 790 Photo suffers the same problem.

If you don't use it regularly the ink dries up and the head has to be cleaned numerous times to restart printing.

Also tried recharging the printhead by taking the cartridge out.

my epson printer is slow but has good output of photo pictures but i would not recomend.

Which magazine recommend the Canon's as cheapest for print costs but also high quality printers.

The i950 being particularly good (but not cheap to buy). But the print costs work out more expensive even than online printing firms. Although the quality of these firms has to be guarenteed.

0.86p For the canon A4 print

Kodak and Snappy Snaps did best for print quality. Results from Bonusprint were the worst.

They say Home printing gives instant results, but is expensive – an average of around £14 for 24 prints (using best quality 6x4 photo printing paper), compared with £4.50 for the cheapest (online) developer.

9. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I upgraded from an Epson Photo 700 (printhead drying up problems...) to a Canon i850.

The print quality of the Canon is much better. Printing is fast and quiet, and the blacks don't end up looking a shiny purple colour as they did with my old Epson.

10. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd definitely recommend a Canon over an Epson having got both makes of printers. As with others, I too suffer with the Epson's ink drying and taking ages to cure whereas I've never (touch wood) had this problem with my Canon. Epson's support also leaves a lot to be desired, assuming you actually get to talk to someone (one of my bugbears with Epson that I won't go into now!)

As far as printing costs go, I do 4 prints per A4 sheet using Canon's Photo Record application that came with my printer. This gives you virtually 6x4 prints but works out cheaper than printing on 6x4 paper.

I'm not sure about £14 per 24 prints. I get my A4 Canon photo pro paper for £9.29 / 15 sheets, so printing my way will cost £3.72 for the paper. PC Advisor quotes the ink cost at 16p per page (for my S900), so this would give a total of £4.68 for 24 prints which is easily comparable to photo lab prices.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Although i have not used them Dabs do an online service as do jessops. In terms of printer i always reconmend canon as the ink costs are so good!!! I have owned and used a mixture of printers HP 540, 610c 656, Lexmark Z11 (urgh), Z75, Canon BJC2100, S70 IIRC canon are much better on ink and speed also Q quiet, none of these are photo printers as such but return reasonable results!

12. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just used photo box and was very please with the results.

pre paid tro get the 19p prints, matt finish and white borders look good.

also had an enlargement done - looks good :)