• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best on-ear headphones for running

eiren

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

I've been getting back into my morning runs and like to have my iPhone with me blasting out the tunes.

I have some Sennheiser HD600s at home which I've gotten very used to when it comes to Hi-Fi listening, and so feel a bit let down when I get out jogging with my in-ear headphones.

So I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions to on-ear headphones that would sound good, fit nicely so as to not fall off every 5 strides, and should survive in the odd shower if it starts raining.

I really dislike the sound from the Dre Beats headphones, but those are sort of the style I was suspecting would be decent enough to clamp onto the head while running.

Are the Marley Exodus headphones any good, or are they as clumsy with bass as the Beats?

The House Of Marley Freedom Exodus Harvest On-Ear Headphones

Budget? Well I am willing to pay for whatever fits the purposes best... up to the point where I'll get mugged and knifed if they're too flashy :laugh:

Thanks everyone in advance.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I really dislike the sound from the Dre Beats headphones, but those are sort of the style I was suspecting would be decent enough to clamp onto the head while running.
If you look at Sennheiser and adidas running tie-up, they have mini-hooks to assist stayability

imo if your ears can handle them then in-ear, ear hook or neckband style is better than traditional on-head as the headband would likely get soaked in head sweat

eiren

Distinguished Member
Thanks Steven.

How about something like the WeSC headphones? I know they make those higher end RZA endorsed cans, but something like this seems to be made for snowboarding... so maybe not too bad for running? They don't seem to have any absorbent surfaces on them.

WeSC Bongo Headphones Checked Moss Green

I'm not a massive fan of the hooks on ears either... although I do appreciate they keep your outer ears cooler!

Steven

Senior Moderator
I have not tried them but am wondering if they would slide about whilst running. There are quite a few running threads in this section. Best bet is to be a sheep and check out what others are using for inspiration

eiren

Distinguished Member
Right I am being a guinea pig rather than a sheep and I got some of these:

WeSC Bongo Collaboration Headphones Rush Hour & Delta

You get two pairs of their headphones for the price of one.

I got them today, and just tried a few songs with both pairs on my iPhone 4S. Have to say that while not mind blowing, the sound quality is great! They really clamp nicely onto your head as well... so it bodes well for running.

Got a few runs in the upcoming days, so I'll let you know how they are for a good jogging session early in the morning.

eiren

Distinguished Member
Right I am being a guinea pig rather than a sheep and I got some of these:

WeSC Bongo Collaboration Headphones Rush Hour & Delta

You get two pairs of their headphones for the price of one.

I got them today, and just tried a few songs with both pairs on my iPhone 4S. Have to say that while not mind blowing, the sound quality is great! They really clamp nicely onto your head as well... so it bodes well for running.

Got a few runs in the upcoming days, so I'll let you know how they are for a good jogging session early in the morning.

Just a follow up on these as I've just done an hour's run with them (the Bongos today rather than the Oboes).

Fantastic!

Clamped onto my head, didn't slip once. Great sound for out and about. The cups on-ear supra-aural rather that circumaural, but that means your ears don't get too warm, and the pleather pads get sweaty and are easily wiped clean after without any absorption.

The sound is nice and full, and deep base but never overblown like the Dre Beats I've had.

Great purchase and highly recommended :thumbsup:

Dave M

Distinguished Member
eiren said:
Just a follow up on these as I've just done an hour's run with them (the Bongos today rather than the Oboes).

Fantastic!

Clamped onto my head, didn't slip once. Great sound for out and about. The cups on-ear supra-aural rather that circumaural, but that means your ears don't get too warm, and the pleather pads get sweaty and are easily wiped clean after without any absorption.

The sound is nice and full, and deep base but never overblown like the Dre Beats I've had.

Great purchase and highly recommended :thumbsup:

Hi eiren. I've been looking around for some lightweight headphones to use with my iPhone and iPad and was thinking about the Bose OE2i here. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005KJJKVG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3OAXS5YT74IB1

I know you pay for the Bose name but what do you think?

I have Sennhisers at the mo. Love them but are a bit bulky.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
That link I posted shows an increased price. I put them in my basket and it still says £120 so a lot less than the B &W's.

I have a pair of Sennhieser HD 595's and they're great but a little bulky which is why I'm looking. Just want something light for iPhone and laptop. Had Bose before and couldn't tell difference between them and the senns.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
eiren said:
I would rather go for the B&W P3 headphones for light-weight on-ear at around that price point.

Buy B&W P3 On-Ear Headphones, Black online at JohnLewis.com

They've got a cracking sound.

I also got one of these to go with the headphones I bought for running, and it's brilliant!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345367916&sr=8-3

Really fills the sound out and gives some lovely kick to the drums.

What does the headphone amp do? I mean, apart from the obvious. Why is one needed? I thought you only needed one for the more expensive and higher end headphones?

eiren

Distinguished Member
The headphone amp built into an iPhone is okay, but really not that great. This gives you a far fuller sound, a lot more thump to the kick drums, a lot deeper more controlled bass.

Very nice little device to have. It;s very small and light, so I can use it when running.

You can have those B&W headphones for cheaper if you shop around. I think they sound better than the Bose headphones from having a listen in John Lewis.

Steven

Senior Moderator
That old trodden path...

Yes and no. I find the iPod headphone out with my SE535 and PFE 220 quite acceptable. Some choose to bypass the headphone circuitry by using the dock port as a line-out (it's precisely what all the home docks do). However the Fiio E11 is nothing more than a budget volume multiplier. Nothing wrong with that but anything else is exaggeration. It might even add hiss to sensitive headphones

eiren

Distinguished Member
Yep more volume without the built-in headphone amp straining.

I've tried it now with my Sennheiser HD600s, PC360 headset, Shure in-ear phones, and those WeSCs.. all get a lot more 'thump' than without... rather than just sheer volume. Even at lower listening levels it's quite noticeable.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Only a quick post cause I gotta go!

So the amp is NOT just to boost volume, it's for quality also?

Steven

Senior Moderator
An amp does not add what is missing. It accentuates. It is that last % after exhausting upgrade path for source and headphones. You will always get more for your money with the former. Have owned and demoed plenty expensive portable amps. There is some benefit at the high end of the game but money can be invested more wisely at the lower end. Am quite happy going ampless now. Less bulk anyway.

If your headphones are hard to drive then by all means buy a budget amp to make the job easier but it is a touch hyperbolic to claim a quality gain.

eiren

Distinguished Member
Only a quick post cause I gotta go!

So the amp is NOT just to boost volume, it's for quality also?

Well you're never going to make a bad quality MP3 sound good, but if you've got some decent quality on there I definitely think it adds increased dynamics to the music.

I have a mixture of Apple Lossless and 320k AAC on my iPhone.

Sure you can try it and send back under distance selling regs if you don't like it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom