Best OLED for non gaming - LG G1 still an option?

technoholic

Hi, I want to replace my ageing Samsung KS7000 with a new model. I've been considering the 2 models from LG and from Sony. 55". I should say that customer integration control is a must have so the Sony has a better implementation so that helps but I want to talk about the actual TVs.

Looking at the review from HDTVtest of the A90J, it seems near black levels are not as well handled as the LG, but I want to know if this is a really a consideration in real life, how noticeable would it be? The LG G1 seems to be a better TV for gaming but I won't be doing that, so the Sony would meet the requirements in that respect. I want to ensure I have the better picture quality in SDR and HDR film/TV, and as this will be being fed from an AV rack elsewhere in the house, I want to ensure that I can use a single picture mode on a single input without having to worry about switching modes each time I want to watch a different type of video. Also, it needs to handle fast moving sports well (primarily F1 but football too). My other concern with the Sony is the fact you can't turn off static logo dimming which seems to bring the brightness down to levels below the G1. This would be the case when watching things like F1 or Football or even TV shows with a permanent logo.

Any real world advice on which model to look at? And also whether it's losing me much by stepping down to the C1/A80J models?

Thanks

kosymodo

I think it's fair to say that whichever OLED you choose, you're gonna be pleased. Yeah there are differences, but these are small, and the LG and Sony OLEDs are all a recommended buy

technoholic

I think that's part of my problem, the reviews focus on the negatives and make them sound like big deal but actually are probably minor in real life. I can get the A90 for 2270, not sure if this is worth paying vs the LG G1 or even the A80J

kosymodo

Totally agree! The nature of reviews is to pull the sets apart to find even the smallest errors, whereas in reality the difference between any of these sets is pretty much indiscernible

technoholic

Still a tough decision though, it's really hard to see these in the flesh with anything other than demo displays showing and I'm sure they won't take kindly to me asking to test out the near black capabilities in John Lewis with a specific scene from game of thrones!

kosymodo

To be fair, if you were to go there at a quieter time, I'd expect them to accommodate your request. They're in the business of selling you a TV, the customer's needs have to be paramount. Worth a try, you've nothing to lose!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'm quite critical.

I wouldn't pay the extra for an A90 over an A80 unless I felt I really wanted an 83" over a 77".

At 65" it would be an A80 all day, and I wouldn't pay the extra premium for a Panasonic JZ1500 or an LG G1 either.
It would be an LG C1 if gaming was important, but I have no interest so an A80 for me.

technoholic

I'm quite critical.

I wouldn't pay the extra for an A90 over an A80 unless I felt I really wanted an 83" over a 77".

At 65" it would be an A80 all day, and I wouldn't pay the extra premium for a Panasonic JZ1500 or an LG G1 either.
It would be an LG C1 if gaming was important, but I have no interest so an A80 for me.
I’ve just posted this in the A90 thread so rather than write again I’ve just copied it. But I’d kind of ruled out the A80. Maybe I should look again?

Thank you. I went to see these sets today, handily the a90 and the G1 were next to each other. Both showing their respective demos which are never truly representative. It was immediately obvious that the G1 had much more punch and vibrancy, whereas the a90 was more muted but natural looking. I guess the question is which I prefer. Obviously there is a draw towards the punchiness but not sure that’s the right real life decision to make unless I want to impress people coming over with how vibrant it is.

The Panasonic jz2000 from across the shop did catch my eye though, but I ran out of time to properly look at it. The picture did seem to be a balance between the Sony and LG. But as custom integration control is a must, I think the Panasonic has to be ruled out

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The thing is, you don't know which mode and what settings the TV is on unless they've all been calibrated or did you have a chance to tinker with them?

If it was in the likes of Currys or John Lewis then it's not really telling you anything.

technoholic

Yeah of course, it was JL and it’s certainly not a scientific comparison but it did give me a feel for them. A90j is pretty much top of the list now, 2270 I think is decent for the 55

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
That's very nearly 1K more than a 55A80J @£1299

Not worth it at all IMO. The A80 has a pretty stunning picture. It is just an opinion though.

technoholic

That extra brightness though, considering I already think the a90j is just at the minimum I’d like, is it worth the extra grand? Probably not but I’m more likely to get buyers remorse if I don’t get it!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
That extra brightness though

It's not that big a deal. Honestly in both my opinion and experience. As long as you can alter blind angles for daytime viewing.

I recently bought my first OLED, last years Sony A8H. Previously I had a good Sony LCD with FALD and ~1350 Nit backlight.
The OLED has about half that and I don't notice in the slightest apart from the very rare "eye-searing" moments.

If you're coming from the Samsung in your sig line, any OLED is a huge step up and that Samsung is a good TV. I have one in a spare room and used it for years.

An extra £1k for 10% brightness extra in most use. Pointless IMO. I'd spend it by getting a larger A80 before a smaller A90. I'll leave it there.

technoholic

Actually yes the sig is out of date but that tv is still in use in the room I’m replacing with this. But I have a LG B7 in the other room and to be fair that’s a much brighter room at times. But it do occasionally think it’s not quite bright enough. However where the new tv is going is usually much darker to be honest, it’s the “snug” where I go to watch F1 and we watch films etc in the evenings.

technoholic

Spend the extra £400 and get a 77" A80J
Unfortunately as much as I’d love to, I have to fit it In this recess that I created without foresight for my original 50” plasma, so without major rework, 55 is my limit. And we’ve already partly decorated (ignore the speaker colours!) so that’s not going to happen

Attachments

• 69A5ED3B-46CA-4F12-AF5D-60AC8D39C9D6.jpeg
    69A5ED3B-46CA-4F12-AF5D-60AC8D39C9D6.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 36

technoholic

Well, A90 on the way next week!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom