Best of the Dirt Cheap Players?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Andy.T, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hiya, I'm looking at getting my outlaws a budget Multi-Region DVD Player for Xmas.

I know some can be had from Richer Sounds for like £30, but are these any good?

The player I'm after must be...

a) Auto sensing multi-region (including RCE)
    b) Very easy to use
    c) Up to about £80 (preferably a lot less) ;)
    d) PQ doesnt have to be outstanding as they only have a little telly but stuttering etc. is a no no.
    e) SVCD playback etc. would be nice but not essential.

Anyone got any first hand experience of these budget players, and prepared to recommend one?

Thanks in advance,

2. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I dare mention the name here, WhatHiFI have a budget DVD player review in the current issue.
    They also have a seperate review of the Cyberhome CH400 which is available for £50 from WH Smiths.
    A guy at work has this player and says it is really good for the money.
    There is a region free hack for it which can either auto sense or be set manually for RCE.

Andrew

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I just bought 3 akura's for various xmas pressies and I have to admit to being impressed. For £35 quid each they play everything out of the box.

Neil.

4. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks guys, both very interesting. :smashin:

Neil, do you know the model number of the Akura (13S, 14S, 143S or something else?) and where did you get it from? Also, just to confirm, your saying it's actually multi-region out of the box?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Tosh SD330 from Play.com delivered for £79.99 thats what i am considering getting mine!!!

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    AD15S, and yes its multi region out of the box. Sainsburys in Harrow is where I got them.

It reads:

DVD, SVCD, VCD, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 and kodak photo cds!

I'm going to guess it also reads dvd-r and dvd+rs also. Has Scart with RGB and coax digital stream out and a fairly chunk remote with batteries.

Neil.

7. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ypu can get it for £79.99 from amazon and richersounds will price beat an extra tenner to make it £69.99, bargain :clap:.

Rich

8. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gave my Mum a Cyberhome player and it lasted about 15 months. My LG only lasted 2 years so avoid the cheap end of the marlet or get extended gurantees!

9. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amazon do a Yamada multi region for £39.99.Bought my brother one for his birthday and he seems happy enough(haven't seen it in action myself,he lives over 200 miles away!).It auto recognises all regions and I think I'm right in saying he has a disc that is RCE,so I think it's okay with them too but don't treat that as gospel!

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Was in Sainsburys earlier on and they had some stock of these Akura ADV15S.

Akura's site labels it as ADV14S which I'm not sure is correct, but the machine looks physically identical to the ADV15S

http://www.akura.com/v4/branded/dvd/adv14s.html

Being totally honest I would never consider or buy anything at this end of the market but I stuck it in the trolley anyhow just to see how good these things are at the princely sum of £34.99 !

First impressions are quite impressive, the build quality of the player and the remote are certainly not to be laughed at. Very solid.

It is Region free straight out the box and it has played DVD-R's, (Ritek and Princo based) recorded at 2X and 4X on a Pioneer 106 with no problems so far. It also played a DVD-R recorded on a Panasonic E series. Considering these recorders don't finalise with an AUDIO_TS folder, not all cheapo players are able to manage that.

It does have a PAL converter onboard which TBH doesn't make a good job of it, best stick to native disc output. It handles NTSC just fine.

Video output is good from the Scart, the box claims it's RGB, but the manual states Normal. Looking at the picture it is definitely composite. It does also have an S-Vid output.

It's got all the markings and gubbins on it to say it does MP3, Kodak, CDR/RW, DVD+-RW, DTS and DD. I haven't got around to testing all those yet but I have no reason to doubt that it won't handle all of them.

For £34.99 the only thing it is lacking is true RGB output. However at this price you could hardly complain. Complete bargain.

:smashin:

11. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    c) Up to about £80 (preferably a lot less)

for £80 you can get tosh 330 or pio 360 MR! better than any dirt cheap players

12. dogtanian38

dogtanian38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have an Acoustic Solutions DVD-321 from Richer Sounds. I have owned it since February and have considered it a worthwhile purchase. I paid £10 extra for the multi-region version, and a simple remote/fascia buttons combination unlocked svcd playback, region free, macro-free etc. It also plays NTSC material if your tv supports this, and converts to PAL if not. SVCD playback is reasonable, but it wont handle S/KVCD XVCD etc. It does handle el-cheapo DVD-R blanks too. The image quality on DVD's is okay, and the sound is reasonable. To be honest I dont think there is much difference between all the cheap dvd players, and i imagine they probably all use the same chipset made in eg. taiwan etc etc.