Answered "Best" of current/new projectors?

sraper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Simple enough question:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Which projector, 4K or fauk4K, to get out of the current and upcoming projectors?

Hoping to get something installed by Christmas.

Will be projecting onto a 3m wide screen (maybe a little wider if I decide to change the door to the room into an outward opening door!) and the room is almost bat cave environment and I do have permission to paint the ceiling black:clap:

Current thoughts are:
Epson TW9300W £2,899
Epson TW9400 £ ???
Epson LS10500 £4,699
JVC DLA-X5900 £3,699
JVC DLA-X7900 £5,799
JVC DLA N5 £6,495

Doesn't have to be actual 4K (though would be nice) but would be excellent if can do WGC and a good approximation of HDR (ideally HLG and HDR10). My current TV is a 79" Sony that does 4k and WGC but NOT HDR.

Don't want DLP as I do see those pesky rainbows!

You may want to adjust some of those prices, the X7900 with the recent price cut is available from £4500, The TW9300 around £2550, The TW9400 should be similar price to the TW9300 and sounds like it will be a decent value option.

Prices were based on quick internet search so yes indeed hoping there they may come in cheaper when speaking direct with a dealer.

My current feeling actually is either the TW9400 or maybe the 10500. Problem with the JVC is now that they have the native 4 projectors not sure I "force" myself to buy one of the faux 4k ones!!!

Given I have a little light leakage around the curtains from the two sets of patio doors in the room not sure I would benefit from the better blacks of the JVC.

You really need to get a demo and do some side by side comparisons so you can compare directly, and then see which image you prefer.

As Unreel said, the 9300 probably presents the best value, but the LS10500 and JVC 7900 are the ones I'd compare if you wanted to stretch the budget a bit more.

Will try over the next few weekends. However some of these projectors are not readilly available yet. Eg tw9400.

Does anyone yet have the n5 or n7 in stock for demos yet, in the london area?

They’re not released yet, next month hopefully.

Will try over the next few weekends. However some of these projectors are not readilly available yet. Eg tw9400.

the go to projector for you is the Epson 9400 if you can wait until december and want to keep it under £3k.

the Epson LS10500 and JVC X7900 are a noticeable step up even in your slight light leakage room

as mentioned earlier no one in the UK publicly has seen the new N series JVC’s afaik so i’m not sure how anyone has seen a N5 yet otherwise, i attended the launch in London and it wasn’t their at all, the N9 and a sample N7 was though and it looked spectacularly good

All being well early december will see some limited stock coming through

Allan :smashin:

Just my opinion, but if as in your first post you say you want half descent HDR I’d skip the tw9300 and head straight for the x7900. Don’t pay anything more than £4.5k as they’ve been repriced to RRP ~£5k since the new nX PJs. It’s a good sweet spot and for a PJ does pretty good HDR and great contrast levels really make it stand out if you’re not fussed about native 4k. Worth seeing in the flesh before making your mind up if you’re fussy as some don’t like the grain / noise it can have on certain content. If not the new tw9400 also looks good and does not have the JVC signature grain and is likely to be a great lower budget option, not so good blacks or contrast but different looking, maybe less processed image qualities... New Nx series are likely to trump the lot but big price. You don’t say your main sources or if you game, as this may influence.. Also if wanted for Xmas the new PJs may not be out till Dec, but x7900 can be had now..

Main sources would be Netflix, Amazon and of course uhd blu rays. I managed to see the ls10500 in action very briefly today and it seemed to have a very natural look about it. What i would like to be able to do is compare with the tw9400 and also jvc's to see if i should either pay more or could get away paying lessa

Which projector, 4K or fauk4K, to get out of the current and upcoming projectors?

Will be projecting onto a 3m wide screen (maybe a little wider if I decide to change the door to the room into an outward opening door!) and the room is almost bat cave environment and I do have permission to paint the ceiling black:clap:

Current thoughts are:
Epson TW9300W £2,899
Epson TW9400 £ ???
Epson LS10500 £4,699
JVC DLA-X5900 £3,699
JVC DLA-X7900 £5,799
JVC DLA N5 £6,495

Doesn't have to be actual 4K (though would be nice) but would be excellent if can do WGC and a good approximation of HDR (ideally HLG and HDR10). My current TV is a 79" Sony that does 4k and WGC but NOT HDR.

Me and probably many others have similar short lists, for me input lag is crucial since I would mainly play games and watch just about 2 movies per week or TV episodes.

I will definitely wait for the TW9400, that one could be the best value and since I can only make black the screen area not the whole room because it's not a dedicated room it should give decent contrast.

I suggest you to wait for the TW9400 before deciding, however this one might not come out before christmas....

When new releases are this close then it's always the best to wait for the new ones before making a final decision.

I'd say that if you care about HDR and ease of setup and the N5 is within your budget wait for that to arrive and then go for some demos. There are a lot of limitations in the old DLA-X chassis that might have been solved in the N5.

The built in automatic tone mapping in the N5 has the potential to offer an HDR experience which is very good without all the hassle and/or expense of the solutions currently necessary on other units to get the best out of them (custom curves plus switching modes for different nits titles or madVR or Lumagen on an X7900, not sure about requirements on other PJs).

The X7900 might ultimately be able to achieve a "better" picture if contrast is your chosen poison, but getting the best out of it does require some work, either from you or from a suitably capable calibrator.

As jfinnie said, HDR can be a bit of a mess, and if it's something you want the new 4K JVCs are said to be very good with tone mapping. However, if you settle for an eshift JVC or an Epson, the new Panasonic UB820 (and I believe the 420 too) work in a similar way, so you should be able to get a much improved HDR image compared to just using the projectors own processing for that. Both the player and 4K JVCs use the disk data to tone map on a disk by disk basis, rather then the owner having to tweak and dial in every disk by hand using the pj options. If you need to get a UHD player then the 420/820 would be the ones to go for by the looks of things.

As jfinnie said, HDR can be a bit of a mess, and if it's something you want the new 4K JVCs are said to be very good with tone mapping. However, if you settle for an eshift JVC or an Epson, the new Panasonic UB820 (and I believe the 420 too) work in a similar way, so you should be able to get a much improved HDR image compared to just using the projectors own processing for that. Both the player and 4K JVCs use the disk data to tone map on a disk by disk basis, rather then the owner having to tweak and dial in every disk by hand using the pj options. If you need to get a UHD player then the 420/820 would be the ones to go for by the looks of things.

I guess a lot of the time the question is where the content is likely coming from. The 420/820 route is useful if all your content is coming off disc (or perhaps one of the inbuilt players, not sure if the tone mapping stuff can be done to the apps as well as to disc content). Increasingly folk aren't using discs as their primary content source.

It is a shame the PJ makers are taking so long to get to grips with this. I guess they need to keep something back to sell next year's model, huh?! Cynical me.

I guess a lot of the time the question is where the content is likely coming from. The 420/820 route is useful if all your content is coming off disc (or perhaps one of the inbuilt players, not sure if the tone mapping stuff can be done to the apps as well as to disc content). Increasingly folk aren't using discs as their primary content source.

It is a shame the PJ makers are taking so long to get to grips with this. I guess they need to keep something back to sell next year's model, huh?! Cynical me.

Yeah, I think it's disk only stuff but at least you then get one source that's reasonably watchable for HDR content. I'm just glad I've no interest in it and so far I've not had a UHD disk look bad when tone mapped to SDR. They may be losing some detail somewhere but it's not glaringly obvious like the dark images usually are, and no crushed blacks which are usually easy to spot, but there may be detail missing in sky content or similar areas. I'm not as analytical as I used to be, or maybe I'd be comparing the BD with the UHD to see what the differences were and if it was that visible. My FL-D filter is still in it's case and in the old days I would have fitted and recalibrated long ago. I still need to get some calibration software installed since my Colorfacts laptop died but I don't have the urge these days. Not that I should need a recalibration anyway.

HDR does seem to be taking a long time to become a set and forget format, so I'm hoping that by the time I may feel like an upgrade, it will be fully sorted and no longer problematic. That won't be for a while yet though.

Do we have a date yet for the N5? I believe the epson tw9400 is December.

The longer I leave it the more chance that the money will get spent on something more "deserving" plus the wife is impatient! Once she has agreed to something my wife likes things to get done.

I wonder if the Epson TW9400 will handle HDR and tone mapping better than previous models? This review indicates additional settings controls for tone mapping that the TW9300 did not have.

@Ideal AV , Alan, are you able to share any knowledge on this?

I wonder if the Epson TW9400 will handle HDR and tone mapping better than previous models? This review indicates additional settings controls for tone mapping that the TW9300 did not have.

@Ideal AV , Alan, are you able to share any knowledge on this?
I am hoping/assuming that it will do hdr better. If not might have to consider the jvc.

sorry guys i’m unable to provide answers yet, no official spec has been released yet, to me anyway

i can say that it will recognise HDR and auto switch like the JVC’s, obviously we know it’s full fat 18gb 60 fps so it’s looking good so far. Having a bit more output will benefit HDR as well :smashin:. HLG is also an inclusion this year so it’s pretty well spec’d

Allan :thumbsup:

sorry guys i’m unable to provide answers yet, no official spec has been released yet, to me anyway

i can say that it will recognise HDR and auto switch like the JVC’s, obviously we know it’s full fat 18gb 60 fps so it’s looking good so far. Having a bit more output will benefit HDR as well :smashin:. HLG is also an inclusion this year so it’s pretty well spec’d

Allan :thumbsup:
Amother quick question. Will it be "better" than the ls10500? Very subjective question i know.

Amother quick question. Will it be "better" than the ls10500? Very subjective question i know.

What do you think and why would it be?

tables turned :D

As Its newer it may do better hdr and better upscaling. May have a better algorithm for mapping 4k content.

Now of course most of these could be implemented by updating the firmware but will they?

What do you think and why would it be?

tables turned :D
Forgot to say suppport for hlg and hdr10 on the tw9400. Tbf whether this will be obvious for most viewing!

Current thoughts are:
Epson TW9300W £2,899
Epson TW9400 £ ???
Epson LS10500 £4,699
JVC DLA-X5900 £3,699
JVC DLA-X7900 £5,799
JVC DLA N5 £6,495

JVC DLA-X590 (European X5900)
Suggestion from my experience:
Any new product in the market will have to undergo firmware iteration and product revision so this may
Take a couple of years.The best buy I.e. £ 3699 to fit your scenario with a nice result is the JVC eshift5 generation all do are not a native 4k projected on a large screen you get a great image. my screen size is 52”x92” my home cinema is driven by a Yamaha Rx A3060 and a
Blu-Ray Player Panasonic DMP-UB900 the HDMI Connection is with a RUIPRO -Ultra-Slim HDMI Active Optical Fibre Cable Light, according to the spec sheet (10m-15m) RUPIOPRO Fibre HDMI cable passes the Full 18Gbps .
Since 10bit Gamma is required for a correct looking HDR ST.2084 image.
The 4K experience overall is great.

Last edited:
JVC DLA-X590 (European X590)The best buy I.e. £ 3699 to fit your scenario with a nice result is the JVC eshift5 generation

Nope

the best buy is the pro model RS440, exactly the same as the EU X5900 apart from it having a gold bezel and save £500.

Not many left so anyone sat on the fence shouldn’t hang about at this very low price with full 3 years JVC warranty

Nope

the best buy is the pro model RS440, exactly the same as the EU X5900 apart from it having a gold bezel and save £500.

Not many left so anyone sat on the fence shouldn’t hang about at this very low price with full 3 years JVC warranty

Allan
I don't know the prices in UK ! The JVC DLA-RS440U and the JVC DLA-X590R/X5900 offer JVC's latest generation e-shift 5 with its improved image quality over previous versions, and according to JVC, both models are the identical projector sold through different channels.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom