1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best of Both Worlds? [audio vs home cinema]

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jiggery, Jun 8, 2005.

1. jiggery

jiggery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, i'm contemplating entering the 5.1 world from 2.0 [i.e. a marantz amp with ms10i speakers] i want the surround sound thing but also need good quality to listen to audio. also need enough inputs for all of the following:
    pace sky box, sony dvd player, sony vcr, ps2, archos av440, sony tv [and i'm guessing i have to buy a little preamp or summink for my turntable to be connected to the system] i like the look of the denon AVR-1705 and that probably gives you an idea of overall budget. i was gonna just go down to richer sounds as i don't want to spend more than 500>600 quid in total...but thought i'd take advantage of the wealth of experience on this here site first...any ideas how to get the best for my money? love this site - its full of all sorts of useful info...
    :lease:

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Listen to some A/V amps in your price range and decide if you can settle for them as your stereo source as well. If the answer is yes, then no problems just get the A/V amp. Try Marantz they sound good in stereo.

Failing that if you get a A/V amp with pre-outs can put them into your stereo amp but then need to ensure you stick the stereo amp on the right volume and input when listening to a movie.

Try the A/V amps and if you can get one that does all you want then go for it. Most of hte new ones have a heck of a lot of inputs.

Re turntable yeah most don't have turntable inputs, but NAD do a decent little pre that's cheap.

Steph