1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best non-PC based universal remote for £100

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by MJeeves, Nov 22, 2004.

1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    What is the best non-PC based universal remote control for £100. I need about 7 pieces of kit to be controlled from one remote and it needs to be easy to use, easy to navigate, be very reliable and not have to rely on a PC for downloading codes etc etc (I don't have a PC!).

Also, some of the pieces of kit are high-end and quite obscure so it would need to be able to control "rarer" pieces of kit not just the high street brands.

Thanks, M.J.

2. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Anyone?

3. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Well I have a Home Theater Master MX-500. Have had it about a year and am very pleased with it. It can control up to 10 devices and doesn't need a PC to programme. It has lots of codes for lots of devices but even if it doesn't have your device in it's library you can easily use the learn feature to programme the remote in minutes.

Review is here. I haven't kept uptodate with the latest RC technology so there may be better remotes out there. I'd recommend reading reviews on remotecentral.com.

FPSgamer is the place that i bought my MX-500 and they are doing it for £105 (so only £5 over budget :) ) Link here

Hope that helps

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've just acquired a Marantz RC1400 remote with my amp which should do the things you want, it's got a learning feature and a programmable LCD display for shortcuts (no touchscreen though, just tactile buttons).

It does seem to have a few minor quirks though, like 2 identical light buttons!