Best (non-HDMI) way to connect digibox to TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grandhooter

Here's a simple question: I've got a standard Sky digibox and a new Panasonic TX26LDX60 TV. What's the best way to connect them up?

Here's a simple answer.

Scart - make sure that RGB is enabled at the Digibox and that you use a TV scart input that accepts RGB.

Cheers,

Martin.

SCART as this is the best method for basic SKY. Just buy a quality lead like QED,IXOS or Profigold.

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately I forgot to mention that there's a 45cm thick wall between the Sky box and the TV, and the hole through said wall is too small to get a Scart plug through... In other words I can have a Scart plug at one end but I'll need something else at the other end. Scart to component video and stereo audio phono? Scart to S-video plus stereo audio phono?

1/ Buy a good quality 'fully wired' (most are) SCART lead.
2/ Chop one end off
3/ Buy a SCART plug from maplins or similar
4/ Feed cable through hole
5/ Attach SCART plug to cable

If you don't fancy soldering the cable to the SCART plug (I don't think you can get any other sort of SCART plug) you could try and find good quality phono plug and socket combinations with screw connectors. Just leave about a foot of cable at one end of the SCART lead when you cut it and put the phono plugs on one end and sockets on the other once you've fed it through.

I don't think that many Sky boxes do S-Video out. You could go to composite, but it would be a shame.

Hmm - so Andy, do you think a Scart to S-Video and audio phono wouldn't work? THe box is just the standard (Thomson I think) one you get from Sky when you sign up to their £49 deal. I'm the least technically-capable person in the world so the prospect of knocking up my own Scart lead is somewhat off-putting!

Hmm - so Andy, do you think a Scart to S-Video and audio phono wouldn't work? THe box is just the standard (Thomson I think) one you get from Sky when you sign up to their £49 deal. I'm the least technically-capable person in the world so the prospect of knocking up my own Scart lead is somewhat off-putting!

The scart socket on your Sky dodgibox definitely does not output s-video.

Why not move the dodgibox to the same room, lnb extension cables ( together with a back to f connector) are readily available from Argos and many other sources.

I've just had sky change my Thomson box as was getting weird vertical lines across screen when connected to 32 Sammy LCD. Never had problem with CRT. Amstrad box (no PACE ones on van) giving much better picture all round. Could be good idea to check pq first before you start drilling and chopping !

Looks like S-Video is a no- no.

You can get a SCART plug with crimp connections that don't require soldering.

Otherwise the easiest idea might be to get a SCART RGB to YUV Component (YPbPr) converter and fit that at the Sky end. Then you'd have a stereo phono L&R cable and a 3 phono YUV Component (YPbPr) cable going through the wall straight into the Component inuts on the Panasomic.

I don't have Sky, but I take it the Sky box has Red and White Left and Right Audio Phono outputs. If it doesn't you can get a SCART breakout box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom