Best non-Apple device to watch Apple TV+ 4k movies on?

Uncle cuddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been sucked in to buying some of the 4k bargains on iTunes, but now wondering what to watch them on. I have a number of streaming devices but none of them appear to be able to stream 4k and Dolby Atmos. I don’t have an Apple TV.

I have the following with the Apple TV+ app installed.

Xbox Series X - is not triggering 4k on my TV and I’m not sure if Apple TV is really Dolby Atmos (although it sounds good, so could be) because everything is automon the Xbox.

PS4 - Appears to be 4k but is not Dolby Atmos.

4k Firestick - Appears to be 4k, but no Dolby Atmos.

4k Roku streaming stick - Movies don’t appear to work on the app, but can Airplay from my iPad, in 4k but no Dolby Atmos.

I don’t have the app on my TV (Panasonic), and my Dolby Atmos is via a Samsung Q90R soundbar, so the source has to be plugged directly into it to get Dolby Atmos (no eARC on my TV).

There aren’t that many Dolby Atmos movies so the favourite for me at the moment appears to be the PS4.

Anyone else have a view?

I should point out that my Xbox and my TV are not 100% happy together. The TV is a 3 year old Panasonic DX802 which was very decent 3 years ago, but is now having handshake issues with the latest Xbox, so I have to set the dashboard at 1080p in the settings, but it switches resolution to 4k when it receives a 4k source from the Xbox (so if a game, 4k bluray, or 4k stream is played on the Xbox then the resolution changes). I can change the HDMI settings on my TV to “mode 1” then everything is in 4k, but HDR doesn’t work in this mode.

So I can watch 4k on the Xbox with Dolby Atmos (possibly faux Dolby Atmos), but no HDR.

I also have an Xbox One X which had no issues with my TV.

Not sure where you’re getting that there aren’t many Atmos movies as there’s loads, there’s a whole section dedicated to Atmos movies in the iTunes Store.
However as far as I’m aware you can only get Dolby Atmos via an Apple TV 4K.
Edit: apparently LG TVs & Roku devices support Atmos via the ATV app, not sure about other devices.

Last edited:
Not sure where you’re getting that there aren’t many Atmos movies as there’s loads, there’s a whole section deviated to Atmos movies in the iTunes Store.
However as far as I’m aware you can only get Dolby Atmos via an Apple TV 4K.
Edit: apparently LG TVs & Roku devices support Atmos via the ATV app, not sure about other devices.
I am sure there are lots of movies with Atmos, but my collection is relatively small in Apple TV. I bought the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit packages recently, plus Jaws and one or two others.

The Roku device I have (a 4k stick) doesn’t appear to output Atmos (when it does, Dolby Atmos displays on my soundbar, and it doesn’t with this device). I can’t get it to work properly - says the movie is unavailable when I try to play it on the Roku (seems to be a common issue when I Google it), although it does work when I AirPlay to it.

I'm in the same predicament. I've hovered over the buy button on an AppleTV 4K so many times, but I think full RRP so long into it's lifespan is too steep (cheapskate I know).

I just can't find the definitive answer to, What is the best streaming device that outputs 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos on all apps (under £100 ;P)? Or does it not exist? Must we simply bite the bullet and get what we pay for?

Google Chromecast with Google TV. Is source fed Dolby Vision enabled with Dolby Atmos.
As good as my Apple TV…maybe better! o_O

Google Chromecast with Google TV. Is source fed Dolby Vision enabled with Dolby Atmos.
As good as my Apple TV…maybe better! o_O
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to find the GCwGTV offered both Dolby Vision and Atmos via Apple TV+. Indeed it now seems pretty consistent with these across most streaming apps.

I'm currently in the depths of streaming box/stick hell trying to decide which is worthy of keeping/buying.

Got frustrated with the Fire TV Stick Max last night while watching Hawkeye, lots of 'stuttering' every few seconds which I couldn't seem to fix fully by altering frame rate on the stick. The Chromecast is better but still not perfect. Ended up using the internal app on my TV, though no Atmos that way... :mad:

Currently pondering a return to the dark-side with an Apple TV 4k...o_O

I'm in the same predicament. I've hovered over the buy button on an AppleTV 4K so many times, but I think full RRP so long into it's lifespan is too steep (cheapskate I know).

I just can't find the definitive answer to, What is the best streaming device that outputs 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos on all apps (under £100 ;P)? Or does it not exist? Must we simply bite the bullet and get what we pay for?
The 2017 Apple TV 4K is £99 on BT Shop ATM.

I bought one a while back, sold it a few months ago and TBH I've regretted it. Currently swithering if 2017 hardware justifies the outlay (again). And for the record, I had no problem with the remote :p

Tried a bevvy of Amazon Fire devices (including the Cube) and found them no real substitute. The current Google Chromecast is very decent and IMO comes very close. It just lacks that bit of polish.

It's a bit of a quandary. Lots of devices, all with their pros and cons. It really is a case of pick your poison!

Yup, can confirm this. My Fire Stick Max was showing/playing Atmos this morning while I was fiddling.

As an aside, I think I've fixed the stutter I was seeing with the Fire Stick Max. Looks like 'Film Mode' on my Sony XF9005 was the culprit. Turned it off and then to low with no stutter.

I own an AppleTV4K…

On my Daughter‘s home Samsung Frame TV, when she downloaded the AppleTV+ app, and signed into my AppleTV+ account, it only showed access to AppleTV+.

That is, even though she had signed in as per my account, it did not enable access to any of my previously purchased movies.

I own an AppleTV4K…

On my Daughter‘s home Samsung Frame TV, when she downloaded the AppleTV+ app, and signed into my AppleTV+ account, it only showed access to AppleTV+.

That is, even though she had signed in as per my account, it did not enable access to any of my previously purchased movies.
Odd, I can see all my purchases in my library on all devices (Amazon Sticks, Google Chromecast and XBox). All play fine.

I own an AppleTV4K…

Some devices only provide access to ATV+.
Does the app show store purchasable content or only ATV+ content?

Only ATV+ content. She cannot see/access iTunes purchased movies.

Only ATV+ content.
You could have a look to see if the ATV app is available as opposed to the ATV+ app.
Some devices have access to the ATV app whereas others only ATV+, I’m uncertain if some have a choice between them both.

If the frame is a 2017 version then it will be the same as my q7f, which is an app just for the Apple TV+ service

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom