Question Best new projectors for mobile cinema (outdoor use as well) ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cinetudes, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello guys,

I am creating my own micro company to show movies on the stunning island of Jersey CI. I have owned only two projectors in the past for my own home cinema. I had a SHARP Z9000 and I still own a JVC 350. I contemplated changing my own projector and use the JVC for showing movies in quirky places but its 1000 lumens are enough for my lounge but clearly not for outdoor use (even if you wait for the complete darkness). Unless you tell me otherwise.

The outdoor projections will only happen in the summer and the recommendations seem to be 3500 to 4000 lumens but at that brightness level the Full HD projectors are all data projectors with a clearly less good quality in movie projection (which will be 95% of my activity). I also need a projector that has a relatively short throw but not too much as I understand that the shorter the throw, the harder and the more limited the positioning. If I can have a 130 inch image with 3.5m distance that is great but no more than 4m for that screen size.

The size, look or weight of the projector is not and issue but fan noise and positioning of the air "exhaust" is paramount for a good screening for the people sitting not far from the projector (I want as many viewers as possible in smaller rooms for making it worth my while and do not want them to hear only the projector or be burned by the hot air).

I made a bit of research and one piece of kit stands out, the Sony VPL - HW 40ES but it is only 1700 lumens. It will certainly be high range in my budget but I have seen a previous SXRD model working and I was bluffed. It will be offering the best image quality but maybe will not be bright enough for outdoor use. Do you know of any equivalent quality projector with higher brightness ? Do you think it will be enough lumens ? Do you know of a data projector with up to 4000 lumens, high contrast in that price range that will do a good job with video ?

Sorry to be so specific but this is the problem I have on my arms. I have found my 131 inch portable quality screen but as even before I have the gear I already have 4 demands from different places to show movies in August, I need to find my projector now.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Stefan

2. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No advice from anybody ? What about LED DLP ? Has anybody tried them/happy with them ?

If so which model for £2000 max with at least 3000 lumens ?

3. Mad Monk

Mad Monk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I use a Sim2 HT500 outdoors to project a 9m odd wide image and the picture looks fantastic.

You could probably pick one up quite cheaply second hand.

4. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    9m wide!!! Need to see some photos of that. As for the op have you looked into all the legal ramifications with public broadcasting of films?

5. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wow, 9m seems absolutely gigantic then again it is given for 300 inch max. I am looking for something smaller but full HD and especially both high on lumens and good on video which seem to be pretty hard to find.

I am checking the laws around movie licenses and it turns I am going to show movies mostly for charities or non profit organisation who will end dealing with licenses on their side. I'll bring the cinema to them, select the movie, advertise the event, introduce the movie, if we can talk about after and do cine-club cycles and be paid only for that.

Any other ideas on which projector could be best for me ?

Thanks in advance.

Stef

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    License - showing commercial movies is costly no matter who you are showing them too, you also have to have the relevant public performance and safety licences and commercial insurance in place.

Projector - what will work best Outdoors will not necessarily then convert to small and large indoor events, unless you have interchangeable lens etc

Summer events - hopefully better than summer up here :)

Outdoor screen - is going to have to be well bolted down to pass any safety requirements.

I find these ventures are often not commercially viable!

I organised an MPLC Umbrella Licence for our Community Centre - the drawback being we can't advertise which Movies we are showing (that made the cost way too high vs. our potential Income).

You would require the Single Title Licence - http://www.themplc.co.uk/page/film-club-1

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.