Best new player for blu-ray?

Mr Sausage

Standard Member
I'm after a new disc spinner, for my collection which is 99% blu-ray (a few old DVDs). I'm very unlikely to buy any 4K discs any time soon. My projector is an epson eh-tw4400 which I am more than happy with. Any recommendations? I don't mind getting a 4k player of course, as it would future proof me to some extent (I might get a 4k projector at some point anyway).

Also when blu-rays are played via 4k players or into 4k projectors - does upscaling etc take place? Is it better for the player or the projector to do that?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you want the best, currently I suspect that fall on the Panasonic DP-UB9000EBK although I know many enjoy its smaller brother the DP-UB820EB. Both will work as you expect with the Epson to produce a great experience

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Also when blu-rays are played via 4k players or into 4k projectors - does upscaling etc take place? Is it better for the player or the projector to do that?
Whenever a screen (TV, projector, monitor) is used which has a different resolution to the source then scaling takes place - always. Whether a player or a screen is better at this is down to the specific equipment, but usually it doesn't make much visible difference.

One thing to note, though (and this did bite a friend of mine recently) is that a 4k signal requires greater bandwidth to carry and this will affect the HDMI cabling. A suitable cable will be required EITHER if you do get a true 4k source and discs (etc) or if you upscale something lesser in the player. In my friend's case, he had a BD (not UHD) player but this did have a UHD scaler in it and he had that enabled. It worked with his older HD TV (because the HDMI handshake would have told the player to run at regular HD). But when he got a new 4k TV, he found no video was reaching the screen via a long and concealed (so not easily replaceable) cable. The HDMI handshake was telling the player it had a 4k screen, so the scaler enabled itself - but the 4k signal wasn't getting through to the TV; his cable wasn't up to it.

I solved it by disabling the onboard scaler such that regular HD was being fed to the cable - and that DID get there.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
If you want to upscale BR to a 4K device the Panasonic 9000 is excellent, I would still happily use this with my 4k PJ even compared to a Lumagen

If you want to upscale BR to a 4K device the Panasonic 9000 is excellent, I would still happily use this with my 4k PJ even compared to a Lumagen
Seconded. and available at a bargain price atm, as per owners thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom