best new 49 or 50 inch tv

I wouldn't worry so much about losing out to that promotion. Even 10% off the XG9005 its still damn expensive.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope they sort it out for you as soon as they can.
Thanks for that, I guess there’s always another deal coming down the road. Sadly I feel this will go on for some considerable time yet.

I wouldn't worry so much about losing out to that promotion. Even 10% off the XG9005 its still damn expensive.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope they sort it out for you as soon as they can.

Out of interest, what do you think should be a target price for the Sony 49XG9005 or the Samsung 49Q70?, given that their replacements are available in the case of Sony 49XH (currently £1080 in JL) or no doubt immanent in the case of Samsung.

Out of interest, what do you think should be a target price for the Sony 49XG9005 or the Samsung 49Q70?, given that their replacements are available in the case of Sony 49XH (currently £1080 in JL) or no doubt immanent in the case of Samsung.
I wouldn't pay more than £700 for the Sony new or £600 for the Samsung.

The problem is lack of competition at this size. Compared to 55" models they don't have a whole host of competition in 2019 ranges, so the prices seem to remain higher for longer.

The 55" XF9005 (which is basically the same as the XG9005) and the Q70R at 55" have actually sold for less than the 49" versions already this year. They were both at one point selling for £700 new.

The problem is lack of competition at this size. Compared to 55" models they don't have a whole host of competition in 2019 ranges, so the prices seem to remain higher for longer.

The 55" XF9005 (which is basically the same as the XG9005) and the Q70R at 55" have actually sold for less than the 49" versions already this year. They were both at one point selling for £700 new.

In the present circumstances, with nothing better to do, I have been exploring the possibility of fitting a 55” TV in my lounge?

I want to steer away from an OLED option and am attracted to the Samsung 55Q85R (currently sub £1000). From what I’ve read on your TV guide it covers my needs pretty well, however, I wonder what the up-scaling of SD content would look like on this larger panel?

I believe the premium for the Q85 over the Q70 may well be worth it.

SD is always going to look poorer on larger TVs, UHD models exasperate that a bit more since its harder work to upscale to more pixels.

What is your viewing distance and what kind of quality content are you going to be watching?

If you aren't going to watch SD much it probably won't matter. Bigger is better if you have high quality sources.

EDIT* just seen your viewing distance is 3m. That is perfect range from a 55" TV if you are using 720p HD or higher content. SD shouldn't look so bad, but it wont look as good as a 49".

Saying that though, SD is already going to look pretty poor on a 49" UHD model even 3m away anyway, there's only so much you can do to polish a turd.

I think the 10% offer is very poor. The refurb deals are more appealing.

Given the virus I'd expect they are going to be slower at listing them, and likely delayed doing so. It can only mean they are more desperate to get rid of stock in the long run and already have had some deals: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

With the price of the Sony 49XG9005 remaining stubbornly high and stocks of my preferred alternative the Samsung Q70 exhausted (in all my preferred outlets) I have started to cast my net wider. Having re-considered my requirements;
  • Next to no gaming requirements.
  • Most of my viewing material, for now at least, broadcast SD/HD/Netflix.
  • Viewing angles <30 for most viewing.
  • Day-time viewing in a bright room (two sources of light) so some reflection at present.
  • Night-time viewing also in fairly bright conditions.
I have looked at the following 2019 sets, currently being discounted ahead of their replacements.
Samsung Q60 £599.
Samsung UE49RU8000, £490.
LG 49SM8600 – £460.
Sony 49XG8196 - £495.

Any views which would suit best or is the Sony worth the additional circa £260?

If you wish to treat the TV as a non-HDR TV then that is when you can spend less money. You could spend as little as £350 on a Hisense B series and get the same specs as the £600 Q60R.

There's best buy guide I made with all models mentioned here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

The Sony XG8xxx and SM8600 series are recommended for those looking for a TV using a IPS type panel and cater for completely different needs from the RU8000 and Q60R which are using VA panels.

If you want to stick to a more known brand than Hisense and buy cheaper, go for 50" models from Samsung, LG or Philips. Do not go for the 49" ones. The RU8000 and Q60R are not good value.

The Sony XG9005 or Q70R are the only path to acceptable and problem free HDR, but unfortunately 49" is not a popular market any more for TV manufacturers making higher end models, so its been a normal pattern for their pricing to remain quite high.

With the new 49XH9005 being released soon though, provided stock doesn't run out on the XG9005, it should get a healthier reduction.

That is so unlucky, please keep us updated with what is going on. I hope that as soon as they are open again they will be able to offer you a refund.
At last it’s been collected. After ten weeks, several emails, on-line chats, telephone calls and finally requested a ‘charge back’ on my card they have finally done what they could have done from the outset, used a different carrier.
So I’m now back on the market for a new TV, with my confidence in Sony somewhat undermined I shall look at what’s available from LG and Samsung. Last time around it was between the XG9005 and the Samsung Q70 but the latter is no longer available.
My needs remain the same;

Currently got a ten year old 37”Sony (PQ excellent) but want/need a larger screen up to maximum 49/50”.
  • Picture quality is a priority, no gaming, just terrestrial TV, various catchup players, Apple+ and Netflix (standard) so currently no input beyond 1080.
  • Viewing angles <30 for most viewing. Distances varying from 2 to 4 meters.
  • Day-time viewing in a bright room (two sources of light) so some reflection at present.
Don’t mind going circa £700 for something that will last a few years. I'm in an age group where viewing habits are unlikely to change over time.

Will any of the new crop (2020) of TV releases offer alternatives to my previous targets of Sony/Samsung?

Thanks, Benny.

At last it’s been collected. After ten weeks, several emails, on-line chats, telephone calls and finally requested a ‘charge back’ on my card they have finally done what they could have done from the outset, used a different carrier.
So I’m now back on the market for a new TV, with my confidence in Sony somewhat undermined I shall look at what’s available from LG and Samsung. Last time around it was between the XG9005 and the Samsung Q70 but the latter is no longer available.
My needs remain the same;

Currently got a ten year old 37”Sony (PQ excellent) but want/need a larger screen up to maximum 49/50”.
  • Picture quality is a priority, no gaming, just terrestrial TV, various catchup players, Apple+ and Netflix (standard) so currently no input beyond 1080.
  • Viewing angles <30 for most viewing. Distances varying from 2 to 4 meters.
Don’t mind going circa £700 for something that will last a few years. I'm in an age group where viewing habits are unlikely to change over time.

Will any of the new crop (2020) of TV releases offer alternatives to my previous targets of Sony/Samsung?

Thanks, Benny.
Glad to hear it's finally resolved! Unfortunately there's not really a good host of options at smaller sizes so its really hard to make a recommendation. Apart from the Q70R and XG9005 there are no capable TVs with HDR which means you'll get problems on another model when using HDR material on the likes of Netflix and Apple+.

If you treat the TV solely as a non-HDR model though you'll be fine going cheaper. In some instances like Netflix premium plan use, this will require using an external device for playback and disabling HDR on the TVs HDMI port.

LG do some good mid range TVs in the SM8500 and SM8600 that are recommended and will cope with glare/bright conditions well. As will their higher end SM9000 if you also want a TV with good local dimming.

If you are happy with your current TV and then upgrading once LGs new 48" OLEDs come down in price? You'll get considerably better picture quality than even the Samsung Q70R/Sony XG9005 that way, and a much, much better picture than the alternatives which are mid range TVs.

Glad to hear it's finally resolved! Unfortunately there's not really a good host of options at smaller sizes so its really hard to make a recommendation. Apart from the Q70R and XG9005 there are no capable TVs with HDR which means you'll get problems on another model when using HDR material on the likes of Netflix and Apple+.

If you treat the TV solely as a non-HDR model though you'll be fine going cheaper. In some instances like Netflix premium plan use, this will require using an external device for playback and disabling HDR on the TVs HDMI port.

LG do some good mid range TVs in the SM8500 and SM8600 that are recommended and will cope with glare/bright conditions well. As will their higher end SM9000 if you also want a TV with good local dimming.

If you are happy with your current TV and then upgrading once LGs new 48" OLEDs come down in price? You'll get considerably better picture quality than even the Samsung Q70R/Sony XG9005 that way, and a much, much better picture than the alternatives which are mid range TVs.

Really appreciate your input.

Yes the 48” OLED does look very promising, my only concern is ‘screen burn’. My OH watches a lot of TV which displays channel logos and to make matters worse she has a tendency to ‘pause’ live TV, sometime while he has a telephone conversation. So, anything for a quite life, I’m steering away from OLED.

So I need to decide between mid range LG or spend more on the upper range Samsung Q series.
I’ll keep an eye out for some reduction!!

Once again thanks for all your assistance.

Benny.

If you use the integrated tuner on the TV to watch TV via Freeview/Freesat you can connect up a USB HDD to timeshift, so if she pauses a screensaver will engage. You can also set a sleep timer which turns the TV off after a defined period of inactivity.

If however you plan on using an external tuner box then you rely on that specific box to come with a screensaver or not.

The chanel logos I wouldn't worry so much about as long as she doesn't watch the same channel every day with the same logo. LG also have a logo dimming feature which helps dim them to prevent any image retention.

The Samsung Q70R is the next best option versus the Sony. Worse motion but similar HDR capability. I don't like recommending it though because I don't think it's fair Samsung put a 60hz panel on the 49" version whilst 120hz at other sizes.

If you were to consider upsizing to a 55" you could widen your choice quite a lot. You'll get a host of OLEDs and higher end Samsung LCD TVs to choose from including the Q70R.

The SM9000 looks the best of these, however, I'm not keen on buying from Curry's.

Just seeen the first pricing for the 48" LG and its high, £1400. So its going to be some time before it drops to a level that suits me.

While I’ve looking elsewhere, I have also asked Sony if they were prepared to offer some discount on the 49XG9 by way of a goodwill gesture for all the inconvenience caused.

Their offer; £100 discount on the current retail of £849, (£749). Not exactly generous considering RS have the same set with a current discount (Sony Promotion) of £72, (£777) and an extra year’s warranty and arguably better customer service. I’m drawn towards the RS for the sake of £28.

Any views.

I would get back to Sony and mention you have a better price elsewhere, see if they will better it to avoid you shopping at richer.

If they don't, well certainly the good customer service, extra year warranty for VIP club members is worth the current retail price.

You could be cheeky and ask richer to 'price beat' TPS here: TPS - The Perfect Signal Ltd or alternatively order from TPS that have the same promotion, a free mounting bracket and another year warranty again!

Btw I think the £72 may be in the form of voucher credit for streaming services, not cash off the TV itself, and its likely the promotion is UK wide with even the Sony centre offering it.

I would get back to Sony and mention you have a better price elsewhere, see if they will better it to avoid you shopping at richer.

Btw I think the £72 may be in the form of voucher credit for streaming services, not cash off the TV itself, and its likely the promotion is UK wide with even the Sony centre offering it.

Yes I’ve pointed this out to them and they insist it’s the best they can do.
The ’Sonystream72’ voucher is for an actual cash discount.
EG. RS Site.
Order Summary
Sony BRAVIA KD49XG9005BU
£849.00
6 Year Guarantee Included
Discount Codes

Discount (SONYSTREAM72)
-£72
Delivery options (Standard Delivery)
£0
£777

You are right: TPS - The Perfect Signal Ltd

£72 off at TPS too. You could 'price beat' with richer to get it matched, plus another another £10 off:

Or go with TPS for the extra year and free wall bracket.

You are right: TPS - The Perfect Signal Ltd

£72 off at TPS too. You could 'price beat' with richer to get it matched, plus another another £10 off:

Or go with TPS for the extra year and free wall bracket.

Great call. I'll give it a go.

Cheers, Benny.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom