best new 49 or 50 inch tv

bazer1

Novice Member
Reaction score
hi have a voucher from john Lewis so tv must com from them,
ideal would like freest but can live with out any ideals would be grateful baz

Hi. If you can give details of what sort of quality content you’ll be watching, whether you’ll watch straight on or at an angle and what your budget it, that would be good. Also, whether you’ll be attaching a game console. Thanks

i would like best quality we sit at a fairly on angle . no game console, mostly content via broadcaster ie sat or terrestrial we use catch up a little Netflix many-thanks

i will try but my arty wife is against i know better panels etc are there with 55

we sit at a fairly on angle

Have a look and see which panel is suited to your situation.

One person's ideal TV can be different to others, so working out which panel type you prefer on a TV will be the best way to narrow choices down.

Also, how far away from the TV will you be viewing? 4k TVs are going to be best with UHD content, not broadcast TV. So you want to make sure you aren't going to view so close to a bigger TV if you are still watching regular TV.

ok i get back to you on this believe it or not im an ex broadcast engineer it took uk long enough to transmit hd , i know most tvs its all about up scaling to 4 k retired now most of left after the hd upgrade , thanks for your help be back soon

It certainly did take a while to get up to date with HD and its taking even longer with UHD.

Upscaling of HD is pretty good on UHD TVs, but still not quite as crisp as a native display. Blu-Ray quality HD looks a lot better than broadcast though.

You want to make a balance with how far you sit from the TV and the kind of content you watch. If its mostly broadcast HD channels you will be watching then a smaller TV is usually better, but some people view quite far away that even a 65" TV can be acceptable with broadcast HD.

Do you still watch anything non-HD?

we sit about 3 metres from the TV ,as im going to have more time at home will stream a bit ,
on the 49/50 inch is the Sony 9005 the best choice or a Samsung qr 60 cant see the higher number range at j.l. at the moment,
also an lg 8600 series with nano dimming the trouble is all manufactures on there websites make their tv seem so good have a Panasonic 740x series about 5 to 6 years old this tv seems poor on SD etc .

i remember seeing a non 4k hd only lg oled TV which had a very good picture will i have to consider a 55 inch TV and wiil most of the current 49/50 inch tvs be a better picture than the one i have at present

3m away from a 55" you should be okay with HD broadcast TV looking okay, but not so much with SD. If you don't watch much SD then it may be worth considering fitting a 55" just because it opens up better overall TVs and better value for money models such as LGs OLEDs.

If you still care about how SD upscales, you should stick to a 49" or 50" TV. The best model if you are looking to dabble in the world of HDR is one you have already mentioned, the Sony XG9005.

The quality of upscaling a TV has plays a part, but already you have to accept with UHD models have much more pixels, upscaling is not going to be as good as a HD model. Upscaling on the CX740 (if that is the model you own) would have a lot poorer upscaling compared to the Sony XG9005 or LG C9 OLED, but the increased resolution is of more blame to poorer quality SD than the TVs upscaling ability.

Uncertain if you have seen recent postings on it, but they have been appearing on and off at a good price here: Sony Centre - Refurbished

The same TV new is overpriced elsewhere, depending on what you want to do and the price of your coupon I'd consider buying it from the refurbished outlet rather than paying £900 for the new price.

I think refurbished they have been selling from between 450-550 and people have been able to call to buy an extended warranty for as little as £70.

Last option if your coupon doesn't have an expiry date is to not purchase anything at all and wait for 48" OLEDs to be released this year. Not long to go until release now, but you are looking at waiting a little longer, probably Black Friday 2020 at least for the prices to be more reasonable. This option would give you the most picture quality you can find from a TV under 55" and shouldn't cost much more than the Sony XG9005 currently selling for £900 at JL.

Uncertain if you have seen recent postings on it, but they have been appearing on and off at a good price here: Sony Centre - Refurbished

The same TV new is overpriced elsewhere, depending on what you want to do and the price of your coupon I'd consider buying it from the refurbished outlet rather than paying £900 for the new price.

I think refurbished they have been selling from between 450-550 and people have been able to call to buy an extended warranty for as little as £70.
A cautionary tale ref the Sony refurb site.

I’ve had a 49XG9005 delivery this morning and what a disappointment.

The fact that the outer box wasn’t the original wasn’t an initial concern but when I opened it up I discovered the packaging inside provided potential for substantial movement of the TV within the box. And when I plugged it in an area (20v40cm) of damaged screen (vertical/horizontal line) became immediately obvious.

I contacted the Sony Centre only to be told they would raise the issue with Sony HQ where the process requires their approval for return to HQ for evaluation and then they would decide the outcome. This could take weeks!!!

I have now told them as the Item is not fit for purpose I’m rejecting it and want them to collect it and issue a full refund.

Perhaps I’ve been the unlucky one, but for me at least Refurbished TV’s; NEVER AGAIN!!!

A cautionary tale ref the Sony refurb site.

I’ve had a 49XG9005 delivery this morning and what a disappointment.

The fact that the outer box wasn’t the original wasn’t an initial concern but when I opened it up I discovered the packaging inside provided potential for substantial movement of the TV within the box. And when I plugged it in an area (20v40cm) of damaged screen (vertical/horizontal line) became immediately obvious.

I contacted the Sony Centre only to be told they would raise the issue with Sony HQ where the process requires their approval for return to HQ for evaluation and then they would decide the outcome. This could take weeks!!!

I have now told them as the Item is not fit for purpose I’m rejecting it and want them to collect it and issue a full refund.

Perhaps I’ve been the unlucky one, but for me at least Refurbished TV’s; NEVER AGAIN!!!
Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience, certainly seems like the TV was damaged in transit. I think most people have been fine with the outlet though and this is the first time I've heard a bad story.

Perhaps its possible also a new TV could undergo this kind of transport damage, not sure it really if it would be exclusive to the outlet unless they released the TV to be delivered with inadequate packaging.

The delay is unacceptable, but you have done the right thing reporting it straight off the bat. I hope you find a resolution soon.

ok I can get my tv from anywhere now j Lewis refunded coupon , but due to the current situation will wait for now one thing what is the LG 49SM9000PLA like as it has a better pane I believe than the the same 49 other lg only downside is its a curry's only also might wait for new models in the old days Philips tv were great but a different world now there a brand name , so were Sony from tomorrow cant view any TV's in shops etc

Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience, certainly seems like the TV was damaged in transit. I think most people have been fine with the outlet though and this is the first time I've heard a bad story.

Perhaps its possible also a new TV could undergo this kind of transport damage, not sure it really if it would be exclusive to the outlet unless they released the TV to be delivered with inadequate packaging.

The delay is unacceptable, but you have done the right thing reporting it straight off the bat. I hope you find a resolution soon.

It was obvious once I opened the box the packaging was inadequate. The panel had lots of scope for movement.

Given the current situation in the country I have no idea when this will be resolved. For now I have a rather large box cluttering up my house and little prospect of getting a replacement TV in the immediate future. .

ok I can get my tv from anywhere now j Lewis refunded coupon , but due to the current situation will wait for now one thing what is the LG 49SM9000PLA like as it has a better pane I believe than the the same 49 other lg only downside is its a curry's only also might wait for new models in the old days Philips tv were great but a different world now there a brand name , so were Sony from tomorrow cant view any TV's in shops etc
The LG SM9000 is only recommended vs the Sony XG9005 if you need wide viewing angles. Its very, very inferior in every respect when it comes to picture quality.

The LG SM9000 is only recommended vs the Sony XG9005 if you need wide viewing angles. Its very, very inferior in every respect when it comes to picture quality.

Following my unfortunate experience with the Sony Refurbishment site
(49XG9005) still awaiting a resolution (large box now sitting in my lounge broken TV inside) and no word from Sony, I’m back in the market. I’m reluctant to go to the £899 for a new Sony when I see a Samsung 55Q85r + sound bar for £969. 55” sadly too large for my lounge.
I have noticed on here a recommendation for an LG SM9000 which broadly suits my needs but that’s priced at £699 which is then edging up towards one of my original choices Samsung 49Q70 at £739. The latter get the more favourable reviews.

If and when I get my situation resolved with Sony, is the Samsung 49Q70 my best option?

If and when I get my situation resolved with Sony, is the Samsung 49Q70 my best option?
Unfortunately the Q70R is the next best yes. It is gimped with a 60hz panel though at 49" unlike the Sony.

Sorry I didn't remember it was you that had that experience.

LG SM9000 is not in the same league as the other two when it comes to blacks, contrast and HDR performance but it does have better viewing angles and a 120hz refresh rate.

I’m reluctant to go to the £899 for a new Sony when I see a Samsung 55Q85r + sound bar for £969. 55” sadly too large for my lounge.
Yes the Sony is overpriced new. More than twice what it sells for refurbished.

Have you considered just seeing if you can get the Sony centre to send you another problem free? I personally think the offer is so good that it might be worth going through the possibility of an exchange. There's two reasons I can think of, firstly there is no real competition at the same size, the other TVs are inferior, the second is other people seem to have better luck and described products being received as looking new, so it could just be that you have gotten unlucky.

Perhaps they will agree to make sure you get a good-un if you choose to exchange instead of refund.

Last edited:
Hey - I too purchased a KD49XG9005 refurbished from Sony Centre direct. The TV arrived with the bottom left bezel peeled away like this. Obviously I have asked to exchange but I don't know how this could have happened. It did not arrive in the original box but instead a brown cardboard one with some foam inserts.

View attachment 1272859View attachment 1272860

The above is the second in a week.

Unfortunately the Q70R is the next best yes. It is gimped with a 60hz panel though at 49" unlike the Sony.

Sorry I didn't remember it was you that had that experience.

LG SM9000 is not in the same league as the other two when it comes to blacks, contrast and HDR performance but it does have better viewing angles and a 120hz refresh rate.

Yes the Sony is overpriced new. More than twice what it sells for refurbished.
Thanks for your views on the LG/Samsung. Its a trade off but on balance I'm favouring the Q70 as things stand. Supply is scarce now!

Have you considered just seeing if you can get the Sony centre to send you another problem free? I personally think the offer is so good that it might be worth going through the possibility of an exchange. There's two reasons I can think of, firstly there is no real competition at the same size, the other TVs are inferior, the second is other people seem to have better luck and described products being received as looking new, so it could just be that you have gotten unlucky.

Perhaps they will agree to make sure you get a good-un if you choose to exchange instead of refund.
They don't show stock at present and I can't even get them to communicate, all of which has undermined my confidence in their process. Perhaps the current situation in the country has a bearing, don't know.

Perhaps the current situation in the country has a bearing, don't know
Possibly, but if they were to offer an exchange instead of a refund its still your best chance of getting the most TV for as little money as possible.

It would be different if competition was better, but manufacturers don't release higher end TVs in smaller sizes any more. Today it's all about 55" and 65" models.

The Samsung Q70R is the next best alternative but I'd be put off buying a TV as expensive as it is when it still only has a 60hz panel. My reasoning would be two-fold. First I don't agree that they sell TVs at different sizes with the same model number when clearly they are different TVs using different refresh rate panels..this I feel is bad for the consumer. Second I know that if a TV only uses a 60hz panel, particularly Samsungs that they cannot refresh at all at the correct frame rate with films...which is something I suffered when I bought my first LCD TV 15 years ago and refuse to accept now.

If you have a TV currently once you have the case solved with the Sony centre direct store I'd consider waiting and saving for one of the 2020 48" OLEDs if I were you, that is of course if you decide not to try another XG9005.

Possibly, but if they were to offer an exchange instead of a refund its still your best chance of getting the most TV for as little money as possible.

It would be different if competition was better, but manufacturers don't release higher end TVs in smaller sizes any more. Today it's all about 55" and 65" models.

The Samsung Q70R is the next best alternative but I'd be put off buying a TV as expensive as it is when it still only has a 60hz panel. My reasoning would be two-fold. First I don't agree that they sell TVs at different sizes with the same model number when clearly they are different TVs using different refresh rate panels..this I feel is bad for the consumer. Second I know that if a TV only uses a 60hz panel, particularly Samsungs that they cannot refresh at all at the correct frame rate with films...which is something I suffered when I bought my first LCD TV 15 years ago and refuse to accept now.

If you have a TV currently once you have the case solved with the Sony centre direct store I'd consider waiting and saving for one of the 2020 48" OLEDs if I were you, that is of course if you decide not to try another XG9005.

Well my search for a new TV has now come to a complete halt following this communication from Sony.

(Hello,
Because of Covid-19 in line with goverment requirements all our retail outlets are closed. Your enquiry will be dealt with as soon as business is open to operate as Normal.
Regards,
SK Outlets Support Team
Son
y)

So I’m stuck with this duff TV for the foreseeable future and they’ve got my money. Who knows, by the time this is eventually resolved the next generation of TV’s may well have been launched.

PS Dodgexander. Thanks for all your input.

Well my search for a new TV has now come to a complete halt following this communication from Sony.

(Hello,
Because of Covid-19 in line with goverment requirements all our retail outlets are closed. Your enquiry will be dealt with as soon as business is open to operate as Normal.
Regards,
SK Outlets Support Team
Son
y)

So I’m stuck with this duff TV for the foreseeable future and they’ve got my money. Who knows, by the time this is eventually resolved the next generation of TV’s may well have been launched.

PS Dodgexander. Thanks for all your input.
That is so unlucky, please keep us updated with what is going on. I hope that as soon as they are open again they will be able to offer you a refund.

That is so unlucky, please keep us updated with what is going on. I hope that as soon as they are open again they will be able to offer you a refund.
Just spotted an announcement on the Sony site. You can still place orders for delivery (all panel sizes), however, they will only collect returns on screen sizes up to 43”. It’s all so frustrating, I’m getting grief from my OH over this large box in our lounge, especially after she advised against a refurb it in the first place.

To make matters worse I’ve noticed a J Lewis promotion “10% off all Sony TV’s” which I can’t avail of.

Just spotted an announcement on the Sony site. You can still place orders for delivery (all panel sizes), however, they will only collect returns on screen sizes up to 43”. It’s all so frustrating, I’m getting grief from my OH over this large box in our lounge, especially after she advised against a refurb it in the first place.

To make matters worse I’ve noticed a J Lewis promotion “10% off all Sony TV’s” which I can’t avail of.
I wouldn't worry so much about losing out to that promotion. Even 10% off the XG9005 its still damn expensive.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope they sort it out for you as soon as they can.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom