Question Best NAS for streaming 1080p bluray mkv

Simon Belmont

Prominent Member
Reaction score
WD or Synology?

Need at least 4tb. Use for streaming video High Bitrate 1080p video through out the house and some storage also.

Know very little about nas , but been reading up a lot. Also had a good with WD's demo OS of mycloud. It seemed a little easier then Synology's? I'm a beginner at this.

Don't know if WD my cloud would be fast enough for my needs?

Thanks

I cannot comment on the WD but can tell you that I recently moved from a Zyxel ReadyNAS to a Synology, Synology is absolutely fantastic, much faster, streams flawlessly and I also run 4 CCTV cameras from it, great bit of kit and I only got the fairly basic DS215j

Andy

If the choice is Synology or WD then I'd go Synology everytime. I would add QNAP to your short list though.

I have used my Synology NAS for two years now with no problems and it does all that I ask of it. I comes bundled with excellent software as well.
Brian

I have used my Synology NAS for two years now with no problems and it does all that I ask of it. I comes bundled with excellent software as well.
Brian

Youve been using it for 2 years of course it'll be easy to use. you know it very well. I looked into the software and even played with the demo version on Synology web site and it's very confusing? WD My Cloud software was much easier to understand.

I have to say that I found the Synology pretty intuitive, for streaming to my Amazon Fire TV using Kodi I just add source, look under upnp and any shared folders are there.

In all honesty you won't necessarily be using the software on the NAS that often, most if it will be setting it up and then you'll be using whichever device you use to stream from the NAS

In all honesty you won't necessarily be using the software on the NAS that often, most if it will be setting it up and then you'll be using whichever device you use to stream from the NAS

I heard it's tricky to setup. I guess I could just got for it. Using a Popcorn Hour a-400 & mede8er med800x3d players.

Cheers for everyones insight :)

I cannot comment on the WD but can tell you that I recently moved from a Zyxel ReadyNAS to a Synology, Synology is absolutely fantastic, much faster, streams flawlessly and I also run 4 CCTV cameras from it, great bit of kit and I only got the fairly basic DS215j

Andy

Hi Andy,

Is it the two bay version Ds215j?
Also how much cost wise is it to run 4 co tv cameras from it?
I'm also looking at Qnap nas drives also but cannot decide between the two brands or wether to get two or four bay Nas.

Don't know which one to go for? I'm only using it for streaming 1080p to my popcorn Hour a-400. Wondering do I really need 2 bays? Wouldn't a single bay with 4tb be good enough. Need it to be fast though? So something over 1 ghz is needed I think.

The wd is 1.2 ghz the synology is lower

I stream 1080p over 100mb LAN from mine with no problems, my business partner runs a higher spec Synology with Plex which seems excellent too, obviously I wouldn't think wireless would be fast enough, as for the bays, it depends what other uses you have, I have my 2 drives mirrored as the family use the NAS for backup of photos, school work etc

I stream 1080p over 100mb LAN from mine with no problems, my business partner runs a higher spec Synology with Plex which seems excellent too, obviously I wouldn't think wireless would be fast enough, as for the bays, it depends what other uses you have, I have my 2 drives mirrored as the family use the NAS for backup of photos, school work etc

Well that sounds good. I have BT fibre optics 80mg speeds. The one thing I'm worried about is transfer speeds! I'll have nearly 2 tb of data to transfer over. But also need a fast streaming,don't want my high bitrate video to slow down over network. Cheers

2tb is going to take a while, I would use a gigabit LAN if you can, when I have to move or copy large amounts of data I use Forklift on my MAC and let it do it overnight, I am sure there is something similar on PC

Slightly off topic here, but @GlebeCS what cameras are you using with your DS215j ? I've got the same NAS drive and would like a camera (without spending the earth!).

RE: Setup, I've never had a NAS before and found most of it pretty simple (thus far). I've still not setup any of the external access stuff on mine yet, but the 'quick connect' feature looks handy. I've no problem streaming a couple of 20GB HD-DVD rips via my Mede8er MED6003DX on mine. I was weighing up the WD My Cloud Mirror, but for relatively little more money the Synology offers so much more.

Slightly off topic here, but @GlebeCS what cameras are you using with your DS215j ? I've got the same NAS drive and would like a camera (without spending the earth!).

RE: Setup, I've never had a NAS before and found most of it pretty simple (thus far). I've still not setup any of the external access stuff on mine yet, but the 'quick connect' feature looks handy. I've no problem streaming a couple of 20GB HD-DVD rips via my Mede8er MED6003DX on mine. I was weighing up the WD My Cloud Mirror, but for relatively little more money the Synology offers so much more.

Hi Paul, I have 4 of these, Foscam FI9804W 720P H.264 Wi-Fi Wireless Outdoor Waterproof IP Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories , they work really well, not sure why Amazon have them under review at the moment, I used to have Tenvis which are a cheap Foscam copy, they were rubbish, stick to Foscam

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

Well that sounds good. I have BT fibre optics 80mg speeds. The one thing I'm worried about is transfer speeds! I'll have nearly 2 tb of data to transfer over. But also need a fast streaming,don't want my high bitrate video to slow down over network. Cheers

Not quite I understand what you mean by the above?

When you say high bitrate, what do you mean? Blu ray rips max at 50Mbps so a 100Mbps (Mbit) network would suffice. Going back 7-8 years or so my Lacie NAS would outperform that (and that had something like a 400MHz processor, for streaming processor speed is not that essential)

What's your network look like?

Ideally you want a gigabit network as that will allow you to transfer files quickly between client and server. If you have introduced wireless or home plugs that might be the limiting factor in any solution.

For out of the box most new NAS would be able to stream multiple HD streams. Synology, QNAP are the well respected manufacturers but should be no reason why the WD shouldn't play ball either.

Alternatively something more DIY is the HP Microserver (£150 - 4bay) which gives much better bang for buck but then you have to install an OS on it.

The time when you do need more processing power is when you are transcoding files, but given you a PCH then this should not be the case.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom