Best NAS for Squeezecenter?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Stone Free, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi,

I am looking for a decent NAS with around 2TB of storage, and I'm looking at both the QNAP209, or one of the Buffallo NAS's.

Is one of these more powerful than the other, or will both have enough CPU speed to run squeezecenter?

2. Patient

Patient
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Thecus N5200 - 5 bays in total. No problem with squeezecenter and squeezebox boom (and Popcorn Hour).

3. RossDublin

RossDublin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The QNAP should do the job nicely. I run a squeezebox duet seemlessly from my QNAP. Works a treat!

Cheers,

Ross

4. subtlesoul21

subtlesoul21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any specific QNAP units work better than others. I'm also looking to set this up to work off of a NAS, however I've never used one and heard that some of the fans of these things can be slightly noisy. I'm looking to store all of my media of of it (music, vids, pics) and use it to host SqueezeCenter. Also, other than firmware and an extra HDD, are these appliances upgradeable?

5. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a TS-209II with Squeezecentre and it works ok although I find the web interface very slow and I've also noticed some delays with the Controller. The controller issues might be specific to my system, I haven't had chance to sort that out yet.

In any event if you're in the market I would suggest you hold out for the new Qnap TS 119 or 219 which are due out any day now and promise a marked increase in perfomance over the 109/209 generation. I'm thinking of upgrading myself!

Regards

6. chewystuey

chewystuey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I too find the interfaces to be very slow. I have a 209 Pro II.

I am going to run squeezecentre on my macbook in a few days time and see if that makes the controller run a bit faster.

To be honest, I think if I am going to upgrade it's going to be to something that is Intel CPU based.
    The QNAP 209 II is the best part of £240 quid on line, add in the disks (I got 2 x 500Gb) and that's another 90 quid.

Yes a PC is going to be more, but not a huge amount. Also the QNAP does make quite a racket when left in the default "auto" mode on the fans. I haven't tried the settings which lower the spin speed.

7. kj23

kj23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
  8. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    you may find someting with a bit more poke and RAM is better, particularly if you do a number of things simultaneously ...I have my Readynas NV box downloading nearly 24 x 7 from the newsgroups, being a general file and print server for 3 PCs and a Mac and then streaming to an EVA player and the Squeezebox in the kitchen

not surprisingly a £200 consumer NAS couldnt cope with that lot ...i upgraded the RAM in mine from 128MB to 1GB - for £30 it was a no brainer and it did help a bit, but the newer SOHO 4 bay NAS from about £500 are in a different league, and if you can afford a pro box for £1200 with 6 bays you will be needing 2 x 1Gig connections to max it out :)

9. Osamede

Osamede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Why would you buy it there instead of buyiing it direct - and cheaper - from the original manufacturer?
    Tranquil PC Limited T7 ATOM 330 SYSTEMS

I believe they also put squeezeserver on it for you and even if they dont, it isnt hard and you can do it yourself. If you cant install Squeezeserver yourslef, believe you me, you wont be a good candidate to use it.

10. kj23

kj23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    i never said i was buying anything anywhere and didn't realise installing something and being able to use it were linked.

11. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I think that's what I'm going to do, I'll wait and see if its faster or has a better interface than the Synology. It does all seem incredibly expensive even after I found the cheapest deal on the QNAP at QNAPStore.com. I want 2Gb storage which including the Squeezebox classic would come to £507 which is quite a lot just to avoid turning a PC on

12. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a lot as an initial investment but once it's set up I doubt you will ever want to go back. The NAS is a great solution providing it has enough umph! Incidentally, I really like the interface of the Qnaps especially since they released the V3 firmware.

13. allenmic

allenmic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I use a Ready NAS Pro box, I plan to kit mine out with 6 x 1.5TB drives. Currently mine has 2 x 1.5TB drives but this device is so flexible, it will automatically expand the capacity when I put the other 4 disks in (when I can afford to ).
    The ReadyNAS Pro is amazingly fast and you will not be disappointed. Have a look at the reviews IT PRO Reviews | Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition.
    It took me ages to get my hands on one but you can get them on Amazon and Ebay now for about £900.

Rgds
    Mike

14. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was thinking about a Qnas 209 model however, having read a few coments this afternoon im wondering if building a small PC might not be preferable (allowing for the greater initial cost) ? I imagine it would be more futureproof ie upgrading ram and HDD space.

Are there any major benefits to an NAS over a PC used solely as a media server ?

I was worried about power consumption but thinking about it logically I assume that in financial terms the running costs will be similar (not counting set up costs).

Cheers

15. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    "Are there any major benefits to an NAS over a PC used solely as a media server "

the main advantages are:

convenience and ease of use

power consumption (20-60w vs hundreds of watts)

ongoing maintenance and stability (NAS is running Linux, generally isnt having dozens of patches released each week )

ease of hard drive access and hot swap/hot spare capability (4 bay NAS and above)

16. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for that. Im sort of going round in circles at the moment, ive looked at building a PC, getting an NAS, leaving my existing PC on all the time and getting more storage fitted (its an old shuttle PC which is a little on the loud side so i think ive discounted that one). Ive even looked at getting one of those popcorn hour players. Assuming im going to get a new device I suppose they are all going to cost me at least £200 and at least with an NAS I could put everything on it and hide it in a cupboard or something and forget about it. A PC on the other had would have other uses..........

I think im going to be a good boy, do my homework and save up my pennies (which will take a while) rather than hitting the credit card, and see how I feel when I have the cash ready.

I shouldnt have bought the damn squeezebox !! i didnt think i'd be looking into this for quite some time !!