Question Best music server for under GBP 1,000?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by davout, Dec 9, 2017.

1. davout

davout
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a music server to host my CD collection - mostly classical music and around 1,000+ CD's.

I have a DEON CEOL N9 micro hifi in my living room.

Can anybody suggest a good music server on which I can rip my CD's? My budget is up to GBP 1,000.

I've been looking at the Cocktail Audio X100. Any thoughts on that? TIA

2. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I am puzzled. A grand is a lot of money for a glorified NAS. It might even cost less to pay someone to sit there and rip and tag your collection in its entirety using a bog standard PC with EAC or something.. :)

I can be reasonably confident you won't be happy with the auto-tagging of pretty much *any* commercial ripper system for a large classical library so I would really suggest you get a raspberry pi, picoreplayer distribution on an SD card, and rip manually on your computer dropping the finished files to a usb drive on the Pi.

3. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    You could look at a Brennen B2.

However, given the time and effort it would take to do this for 1000 plus CDs it may be better to spend your money on a subscription to a music streaming service!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  4. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Agreed, though even the picoreplayer might be overkill, seeing as the OP is presumably proposing to use the Denon for its UPnP/DLNA streaming capabilities. In which case just a decent UPnP/DLNA media server would be required on the RPi to supply the Denon the audio library over the network, eg the excellent music dedicated (especially for classical music) MinimServer:
    MinimServer

5. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,242
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  6. Candaules

Candaules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree. There are problems with tagging classical music. Who is the 'Artist'? Is it the composer, conductor, orchestra, soloist, etc.? Record companies often get it wrong, and I have box sets (e.g. operas) where each disk is tagged differently. Then there is the name of each track, sometimes you get a correct description (scherzo, adagio, first words of aria, etc) sometimes 'track 1' etc. Again you can get different tagging on the disks of the same set.
    Also, depending on your server and player, tracks listed by name may play in alphabetical order.
    Although I have ripped quite a lot of classical CDs, I quite often give up and get the CD out.

As for the original question, you don't have to spend much on a server. Most NASs will have some sort of media server software built in. I use a Seagate Personal Cloud NAS, which you can get for £125. It does the job.

7. Member 769353

Member 769353
    Previously davidf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Innuos are well worth looking at, like the Zen Mini. They’re digital only products, no analogue circuitry (although it will plug directly into USB DACs and can be controlled directly like a full source component).

Other than the fact that they’re extremely reliable, their bespoke software is the big gain over more conventional NAS type don’t need to boot up a PC or laptop to edit metadata, it can be done from a tablet, or even a smart phone - prefect for those who don’t know how to edit metadata.

Conventional NAS drives tend to be packed into small plastic cases, which isn’t good for heat dispersion/convection, which I think is one reason why they generally don’t tend to last that well. They tend to be quite noisy too, again because of the casing. Some of these media servers tend to have better power supplies too, which help towards lower noise flooors etc.

8. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,368
    I'd be very wary of an all-in-one using bespoke software that isn't open source. If the manufacturer decides to shut up shop you'll likely end up with an expensive paperweight.

9. Member 769353

Member 769353
    Previously davidf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Innuos have been around for some time now, and despite more competition entering into this market (as many people want a one box, dimple solution that’s easy to use), they’re going from strength to strength. It’s highly unlikely you’ll see Innuos disappearing.

10. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,368
    Who knows? Simple Audio were going from strength to strength when Corsair bought them & promptly pulled the plug. Same with Slim Devices & Logitech but at least their software was open source, so continues in the absence of manufacturer support.

Personally it's a risk I wouldn't take.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  11. Member 769353

Member 769353
    Previously davidf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    No one knew who Simple Audio were.

The Innuos models can be controlled with any Squeezebox app - I use Squeezpad. The software I was referring to was the editing software (can still be edited via desktop). Pretty safe if you ask me.

12. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,368
    A little disingenuous David considering the 1000+ post thread here compared to next to nothing for Innuous. But this is pointless, we've both made our points so I'll leave it for the OP to decide.

13. Member 769353

Member 769353
    Previously davidf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    I just meant they weren’t worrying the likes of Sonos. Everyone knows Sonos.

14. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
  15. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    If you ripped your CDs on a laptop you could select a bunch of options to play either from a nas as said or even direct from a usb key.

While it's not what you asked, it's a cheaper option that gives more options in the long run. I play cd quality flacs from a usb on a Raumfeld Connector regularly, but you do need a iOS or android interface. All these CDs could be ripped to a laptop and connect to your hifi via a usb DAC, again a cheaper option

16. Ightenhill

Ightenhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    If its ease you want add a WD 3TB my cloud to your pc (I actually find it hard to believe in this day and age that people dont have a pc practically running 24hrs somewhere in the house) and use a 192/24 capable streamer into your current hi fi - I do echo what has been said above re hi fi server all in one solutions - there's risk involved further down the line and a years a long time now in this tech - support and updates and tech change and disappear way to quickly

17. Member 769353

Member 769353
    Previously davidf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    There’s no more risk than a generic NAS drive.

18. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Depends on what the network audio file player is.

For example, for Squeezbox/Slim type streamers, their requirement would be for the Logitech Media Server running on the NAS.

Or, if it's a UPnP/DLNA supporting streamer, you certainly don't want a NAS drive to be so generic that it doesn't have the ability to install and run your own choice of a decent UPnP/DLNA media server to provide the audio files over the network - MinimServer being my recommendation.
    Otherwise, you'll likely be stuck with a NAS that only has installed an old buggy version of TwonkyMedia as its built-in UPnP/DLNA media server, with no hope of updating it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017