Best music player up to £100? Ipod or alternatives?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by hash007, Aug 19, 2012.

1. hash007

hash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a small music player instead of just using my phone all the time and killing the battery. Critetia: battery must be long lasting, small enough to fit into pocket comfortably and have good sound clarity. Have about £100 to spend. Anyone reccomend some options, I dont mind buying second hand from cex or ebay.

I can pick up a 16gB 5th gen Ipod nano for around £70-100, is there difference between the 4th and 5th gen that much? I dont really need the camera function (can't imagine it would be that great either).

Or are the ZENS or Sony alternatives better value for money?

I also understand that a great music player is nothing without a good set of cans so i've got a shortlist of a few headphones as well.

1. MEElectronics M9 at £17

2. RHA MA-350 at £29.95

3. SoundMAGIC E10 at £34.95

4. MEElectronics A151 Balanced Armature at £39.99

2. jamesy1969

jamesy1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sansa Clip/Clip+ or Fuze? I used a Rockbox'd Clip for a while and was pretty impressed with the SQ.

I'm currently using a 5th gen iPod Classic (again, Rockbox'd) which cost me < £50.

All of the above can be Rockbox'd (allows FLAC compatability, custom EQs etc etc etc). The Fuze and the iPod can be used with LODs if you decide to add an amp later.

Your Nano suggestion can also be Rockbox'd, and can also use an LOD. As to the generation differences, I can't help you there, but I'd look into the specs if I were you: for the iPod Classic, the preferred model is usually the 5th gen as they changed the DAC after that (to an inferior one), so look out for similar differences with the Nano.

I can't help with 'phones I'm afraid as I've never used anything at that price point (my current portable cans are modified Sennheiser HD25s and UE Super.Fi 3s, both of which are outside your budget).

If you want some expert advice on 'phones, have a look at head-fi.com

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I use a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+, tis fantastic, takes a miniSD card too. I use it with some Westone UM3x.

No experience at that price point other than Sony and Creative, my experience of that end of the price range is they're really bass heavy, over the top treble too. Maybe it could be EQed out to a degree. I'd say at that price range the player is definitely not going to matter what it's quality is like, just make sure it's capable of driving the phones you choose.

4. jamesy1969

jamesy1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Actually, you make a very good point about the 'phones. The OP may be better off picking up something like a S/H Clip (can be found for c. £20 on the bay) and increasing his budget for half-decent IEMs.