Best Music/concert films in Hi-Def

Max N

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread about music/concert films. I've just been reading reviews of the 'Dave Matthews - Live at Radio City' Blu_ray.
Its getting universal acclaim. HiDefDigest say '....the TrueHD is without a doubt the best audio presentation I've yet heard on a next-gen release. I mean it -- it's that good.'

Any other recommendations?

NB this disc is region A locked on BD

My favorites:

• Chris Botti Live - BD
  • Destinys Child - Live in Atlanta - BD
  • Eagles - Farewell Tour - HDDVD
  • Legends of Jazz Showcase - BD
  • Elton John - Elton 60 - BD
  • Chicago / Earth Wind & Fire - Live at the Greek- HD DVD
  • Tony Bnnett - An American Classic - BD
  • John Legend - Live at the House of Blues - BD
  • James Taylor - Musicare Tribute - HD DVD

Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time is everything a next-gen concert film should be. Stunning True HD audio and PQ. Can't recommend it enough.

aye ive got to agree Nine Inch Nails, looks great, sounds great, and i think you can pick it up for tenner online! result

The "Concert for George" is my favourite. Wonderful, almost religious atmostphere to the whole concert. Some astonishing Indian sitar playing from the gorgeous Anoushka Shankar and a large Indian orchestra comprising some of the weirdest instruments you may never have seen. Rude Monty Python humour - and great rock music from Eric, Paul, Ringo, Jeff Lynne, Sam and Joe Brown, et al.
Superb High Definition camera work, 2 discs in DTS sound - perfection.
(The only problem is - it's not out in HD yet ! )

Come on people - release it on Blu Ray, please...!

Arrrgh
Just realised that Dave Matthews BD is region 1 locked. Come back HD-DVD all is forgiven :-(

Thanks for all the other recommendations, I'll be ordering a few of those :)

One disc that blew me away, as a result of being showcased in the Sim2 demo at the What Hi-Fi Show was the Tony Bennet Blu-Ray disc. Unfortunately I think it's only available as a region-locked import.

I thought the Nine Inch Nails HD-DVD was one of the direst I've heard, having bought it based on endless rave reviews. But if you can cope with the monotonous, tuneless, noise thrash the picture quality is never less than amazing.

does anybody have the HDDVD of Robbie Williams 'Live at the Albert Hall' ? , and if so is there any real improvement over the sddvd counterpart ?

thanks

got led zepplin last week the song remains the same on blu
Gonna order ACDC live at donnington and incubus live at redrocks

I don't have any concerts in Hi-Def, although I have just ordered 'Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid' Blu-Ray.

really like the trailer for ACDC live at donnington.. is it out yet or have a release date?

Queen Rock Montreal on HD-DVD. It's teh only concert I have on high def.

if you have a ps3 - on the US playstation store you can download a clip from the upcoming shakira oral fixation tour.. was expecting a montage of tracks but its actually ten minutes from the concert - her performance of wherever/whenever

certainly a visual treat..(shakira that is :) ) ..

if you have a ps3 - on the US playstation store you can download a clip from the upcoming shakira oral fixation tour.. was expecting a montage of tracks but its actually ten minutes from the concert - her performance of wherever/whenever

certainly a visual treat..(shakira that is :) ) ..

Thanks for the heads up on that, downloading now ..... purely for the music of course .....

Just as a note the trailer is listed as 720p rather than the full 1080p of the disc.

yes i can only imagine things would be even more clearer and sound better on the blue ray...

Thanks for the heads up on that, downloading now ..... purely for the music of course .....

Just as a note the trailer is listed as 720p rather than the full 1080p of the disc.

The Eagles - Farewell 1 looks and sounds superb. The PCM track is the one to go for.

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same doesn't really impress in terms of picture quality as a hi def disc.

Just ordered Roy Orbison - A Black and White Night as this was a favourite of mine on SD. Haven't read any reviews of it anywhere apart from customer reviews on Amazon, which were very positive. The HD DVD version is 1.85:1 aspect ratio (despite what it says on Hi Def Digest) so this was a no-brainer upgrade from the 4:3 SD DVD. Terrific show, with Orbison doing his greatest hits accompanied by the likes of Bruce Springsteen, kd lang, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, etc.

Also saw the Tony Bennett Blu Ray mentioned above being demoed at an A/V show. Looked and sounded superb.

Got the Queen Blu-ray - it's stunning - possibly the best looking HD release I've seen in a while.

Also got the David Gilmour Remember That Night disc, but not watched it yet. One thing though - it ISN'T in a standard Blu-ray box, but a cardboard DVD sized foldout case, with a Blu-ray style banner across the cover art.

yes i can only imagine things would be even more clearer and sound better on the blue ray...

I watched the Shakira BD last night and the 1080p is a massive improvement on the downloadable clip. Not sure about much of the music but it (and she!) is amazing to look at in HD!

I've Just ordered Dave Matthews DVDWorldUSa £13.99 and Chris Botti Live from ebay £12.99.

Can't wait to hear the AQ on both.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom