Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best MRegion DVD under £400

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chriscaller, Oct 9, 2001.

1. chriscaller

chriscaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in silver/alu/white(!) to match other stuff in the flat...

what would you say?

cheers,

Chris

2. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    No need to spend 400 quid. For only around 280 you can get the Pioneer DV-545, which gives you the best image and sound quality around.

The DV-646 has DVD-Audio but is black.

3. chriscaller

chriscaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Grubert - looks like a good machine from the reviews I've subsequently read.

Will most likely get one :)

cheers,

Chris

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Really? Against what? I would look towards a Toshiba 210 personally, about £180 multi region and it has beat all comers in just about every review going in the mags. It has been widely championed on this forum as well, with many happy customers.

5. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The Toshiba SD-210 is a very good player (it was on my shortlist for purchase this summer), but the DV-545 is considerably superior.

Its MP3 playback functionality is much more user-friendly. The audio quality is better (the Hibit and Legato Pro make a difference). The remote is more complete and easier to use. The menus are more practical. The video quality is absolutely stunning. It has 2 SCARTs (the Tosh has component outs, but right now that is a benefit only for people with projectors or Toshiba sets). It is much quieter than the SD-210. And it doesn't feel as plasticky.

As regards reviews, I've had a look at Area DVD. My German isn't very good, but the 545 gets full marks in all areas, whereas the SD-210 gets half to one point less.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    If the Pioneer 545 significantly outperforms the Toshiba 210 then I would be surprised but I have never has them against each other. If the Pioneer can, then I am happy as it means standards are improving. There have been one or two interesting reports about the quality of the UK 444 but to date (not USA model) but I have been here all too often.

I bought a Pioneer 626 on similar such reports, only to find out that it was easily bettered by the cheap Toshiba's (2109 / 210). This has been reported widely elsewhere as well as many other found similar results when they tried players against each other. I therefore remain a cynic. I remain open-minded and will try and arrange a demo if I ever get a minute. Until then I recommend the 210 as a great DVD player at a cheap price.