Best MP3 Player??

booba

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am buying one this weekend and would like to know your recommendations. I would prefer one that has lots of space and does not skip. A microphone would be ideal as well, price is not a big issue.

So far peeps have recommended;

Ipod Nano
samsung YP-MT6
Creative Zen
Iriver H10

Hi Booba!

Could you please be a bit more specific about the Zen. Is it the Touch, the Sleek, the Xtra or the Micro?

Ta!

If you want one with 'lots of space' then why is the nano on your list? I assume by 'lots of space' you mean over 20gb.

The H10 is a decent player with a microphone. The only problem I had with it was the slow hard drive access...

e.g. You want to change the current song so you press >>...wait 4-5 seconds or more and then the song changes.

This may have been fixed in a newer firmware but I doubt it.

I say go for the bulky creative zen touch, seen this on www.komplett.co.uk for £119 on special offer and you cannot beat this for value!

None of mentioned, H10 is worse then it's predecessors (mean H1xx and H3xx series).

So choice is yours, if it has to be the best, then my suggestion list is quite short:
iRiver H1xx series
iRiver H3xx series
iAudio X5L - preferably that one.

Regards.

Isn't the iaudio the most "overpriced" of the bunch of 20gb players? The interface (joystick fine, folder structure not) of iaudio players isn't the best in my opinion but they have style and good sound quality.

The h10 is a different type of player to its predecessors, it is more style orientated, but other than the slow access I think its good. Still wouldn't buy it though lol :D.

To be honest booba, don't listen to any of us. Go and try some out in the shop and see which one you like the best, consider all of them but the best of the bunch in my opinion for you to look at will be....

iPod Nano
iPod Colour 20gb
Sony NW-Hd5
Creative Zen Touch/Sleek
Iaudio x5(or X5L)

Try others anyway though.

Probably too late now - but having just bought the iRiver H340, I am pleased with it and it seems to fit your criteria. 40Gb hard drive and both internal and external microphones. It also has separate line in and line out, which you may find useful if you're planning to use it for recording. It only records in MP3 format though. The iAudio X5L is probably better but is significantly more expensive and only has 30Gb.
Beware when searching for the H340 on the internet because there are 2 versions: The SE, or Lite which goes for around £240 and the full version, which includes a remote, an external battery back and a cradle, which I found for £265.

The iAudio is DISGRACEFULLY overpriced. I refused point blank to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for such. I have a distinct impression that those singing its praises on the iaudio/cowon sites were the ones getting one free ! I paid £129 for my Karma and it is brilliant. I am devastated that Rio have gone down the tubes. But to buy the iaudio version of what the Karma gives me, I'd be paying DOUBLE that.
Screw them.

I notice that the Samsung is mentioned - going by the Samsung "Napster" Yh-920 that my mates girlfriend has, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. The napster software is a bloody disgrace, and a rip off - constantly trying to get you to buy stuff off them, most of the things you need to do on it you can't, she has to give the damned thing to ME to get stuff onto the flamin' thing for her as she can't get it to upload onto the thing, cant arrange the songs, cant put them into playlists, cant label them - cant do ANYTHING with Napster. I have to use Windows Media Player to get the stuff onto the Samsung, and even thats not great, and its pretty slow.
I wouldn't thank you for a Samsung even for nowt after having to work with the 920. The sounds OK, headphones pretty decent, but thats it - everything else is awful, crap, appalling - take yer pick. All apply.

And the Nano - looks canny, but 4Gb at most ? Hardly bags of room.

The Zen - if you need bookmarks for audiobooks, avoid. It doesnt do 'em.

The Sony nw-hd5h at 30gb is probably your best bet, if you can get one. They're thin on the ground now for some reason.

Agincourt said:
Probably too late now - but having just bought the iRiver H340, I am pleased with it and it seems to fit your criteria. 40Gb hard drive and both internal and external microphones. It also has separate line in and line out, which you may find useful if you're planning to use it for recording. It only records in MP3 format though. The iAudio X5L is probably better but is significantly more expensive and only has 30Gb.
Beware when searching for the H340 on the internet because there are 2 versions: The SE, or Lite which goes for around £240 and the full version, which includes a remote, an external battery back and a cradle, which I found for £265.

I agree this is an excellent player, I got an H340 last month for when I went on holiday and I love it. It doesn't look quite as attractive (IMO) as some of the players out there but I really loved the sound quality and ease of use.

The only real gripe I have is it takes a while to boot up and is a little heavy but thats something I can live with.

I was pretty impressed with my iriver H10 5GB (until I dropped it into a pot of wood stain). I didnt have any delay problems, it looked brilliant, was small, light and had a radio.

I am debating between H10 20GB (£178), H320SE (£187), iaudio X5L (£230), Creative Zen Sleek (£200) as a replacement.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom