Best MP3 Player/Recorder for loud band rehearsals ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jof006, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jof006

jof006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a small MP3 player with a good voice recording facility.
    I'm probably expecting too much but here goes...

I'd like it to be able to :
    1. record musical ideas when I'm out and about.
    2. record my band's rehearsals/gigs - loud indie rock.

Therefore I'd like it to be small enough to carry in my pocket and be able to cope with a very wide range of input levels.

The Cowon iAudio U3 seems quite well featured in that you can set the recording quality and input level and even use the line in as an external mic input. It's nice and small and I could also use it to transfer files - bonus.

Can anyone tell me if it is any good ?
    Since the input level is adjustable, does this mean it does not have any agc or is it just limited in its range ?

Any other recorder recommendations and experience welcome.

I know MAudio and Edirol make some good kit but they're a bit big and expensive.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Same problem as me. The edirol and Maudio are the best all round solutions, or pick up the software and interface for an Ipaq or similar PDA.

We have tried different ways of recording, from an MD player (right faff on) to a MP3 style voice recorder (pretty limited results as it only used one mic, trying to get any form of balance was really difficult) and a PC with microphone (still pretty difficult to set up when you have to keep running back to adjust things and you really need a proper program). In the end we just invested in a cheap 2 track cassette based recorder and download it onto a PC using phono inputs on the soundcard. Its not perfect, but has so far been the best and cheapest solution. As we get better then we might invest in a dedicated 8 track HD recorder with seperate mic inputs and levels which can be bought for around £400 (which is around the sort of money the Edirol and M audio are, except you need some mics. But if your going to do serious recordings then you need different mics for each instrument anyway). We did consider going PC based for recording using an interface board, but lugging a relatively fragile laptop about doesnt have the appeal of a ruggedised dedicated piece of kit.

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    None of the Korean players have really good recording quality. They have the features but the usability of the recording capabilities tend to be afterthoughts.

Maybe not what you were expecting but I'd steer you towards the new Sony RH1 Hi-MD recorder. Outstanding recording capabilities (near-semipro) combined with excellent AGC and of course manual recording control. Easy (albeit rather slow compared to USB2.0 flash players) upload, etc. £210ish - one place to order from is askdirect.co.uk but they have none in stock. If that's too expensive shoot for one of the obsoleted Hi-MD models such as the RH10. Not so flexible in terms of getting the audio out of the player (it's still perfectly possible though) but essentially similar great recording results.