1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best MP3 Player, advice for a novice

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Sting King, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Guys,

Im about to purchase my first MP3 player, I've not really had need for one before because Im sat at a PC for most of the day, in the car or at home, where I have digital music available, anyway I have decided to buy one for holidays etc.

After some searching around this forum, I think a Sony product would suit me best. I like the look of the NWHD3, does this lack any features of the HD5??

Basically I want to use the player for holidays etc. and be able to plug it into my car radio. My PC skills are not too bad, so I could probably get to grips with just about any software.

Alternatively the Creative Zen Sleek looks OK, any comments on this one.
    Im looking to spend about £180 max.

2. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would just get the HD5 rather than the HD3 unless your desperate. The HD5 is now discontinued so the price has plummeted somewhat. It has longer battery life and a few more features. Some people prefer the HD3 looks but they are not much better either way imo.

The Creative players are very nice imo also. The Zen Sleek is not worth the extra dosh over the Zen Touch though because the only major differences are worse battery life and slightly smaller size on the sleek. The Zen touch is a lot cheaper from certain places (ebay, komplett.co.uk) and is a very good player.

You can't go wrong with either of those two in my opinion.

Additionally, don't listen to people who say Sonicstage is hard to use...it isn't. Depending on the state of your machine it may give you issues but the functionality of the software is fine for my needs.

3. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Dantheman,

I have seen the HD5 for £168 inc. P&P, this looks ideal, I was a little worried about some of the software limitations, but if you say its pretty user friendly then I dont think I'll have a problem, my PC is brand new so should be able to handle all that sonic stage throws at it.
    The Zen touch looks a little bulky IMO.

Cheers

4. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sonicstage is perfectly alright, i prefer it to itunes. It has the handy auto transfer where it lists everything that isnt already on the HD5, then you can tick which ones you want to transfer.
    Zen touch is huge when i saw in in the shop, HD5 is tiny compared. And the fact that HD5 plays gaplessly makes the choice even easier.

5. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,930
    Can i ask where you found the HD5 for £168 +P&p??

6. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Here mate

P&P is included, use Froogle to compare prices of just about anything, Kelkoo is another good one.

7. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone looked at sonystyle uk website! the HD5H is now only £179.99! That is a bargain for the 30gb model!

8. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I am suprised why you guys are recommending Sony mp3 players, i would have thought the 20gb Hitachi Gigabeat would have been the best player.

9. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the gigabeat toshiba? My friend has one and I really did not like it, it looks pretty savvy in pics, but when you hold it its a bit brick like compared to the hd5, which for a novice does what you want it to do with ease...playback music!

10. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After reading a few reviews, I think the HD5 will do all that I want it to, im getting the credit card as we speak :D

11. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you going for the 30gb model because that is a great price from sonystyle

12. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure I saw one for £148 or something the other day, can't remember where though.

13. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah mate, I think I will, an extra 10 quid for 10 gig seems a good deal to me, even though I'll probably not fill the 20 gig! :rolleyes:

14. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Its a must that you get a Sony credit card if you buy Sony goods got me some nice few bits for free when using the Sony card as you get triple pulse beats :-D