1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best mp3 for around £200

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by blackpoolowl, Jun 7, 2005.

1. blackpoolowl

blackpoolowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone tell me the best mp3 player to get for around £200 .
    been looking at ipod & creative maybe. my son has a creative mp3 old one about the size of a cd player & i am very impressed with the sound quality.

any advise would be great
    thx

2. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know there has been problems with the silver model and Sony is looking into it, but I would still recommend getting a black Sony NW-HD5 - they're just below your mark, very tiny and great sound plus 40 hours battery life - and it's removable...

3. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There's the current Sony champion, must be your shout for the ipod corner, gerbilly, drum roll ...

4. metal_jester

metal_jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Iriver H120 or H320 it may not be the smallest but its almost perfect in all other areas

5. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Id serious look at the black HD5 (I have one :thumbsup: ). But also look at the;
    Creative Zen Touch/ 20gb and 40gb
    Iriver H320
    Sony HD3 (check serial number)

6. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    I have a HD-1, Sonicstage just isn't worth it go for the iRiver, has a colour screen and a built in FM Tuner as well, and is smaller than the Creative 20gb Zen.

7. blackpoolowl

blackpoolowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    strange how nobody has said to get ipod! are they no good?

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'll start the iPod pitch...

Take a look in May's issues of both Which?, and What Hi-Fi magazines. They both review a wide selection of digital audio players. They both prefer the iPod (all varieties) over every other player for sound quality.

9. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I must agree with the Cat. :thumbsup:

10. bydandie

bydandie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Only problem is that which magazine appeared to running a test on an older version of SS, where they said that WMA files could not be read (With or without conversion). I've seen this in PC Pro and a number of other magzines too. This does give a less than perfect review of the Sony range.

The biggest problem IMHO is the battery life of the iPods. Once you start to get up to realistic compression rate of higher than the minimum spec, having as much battery life as possible is more important.

Having said that, the accessories for the iPod range are far better than anything else.

11. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but the review was also on the older range of iPods too. Any review at any point in time must be on the current range at that time. With product cycles as low as four months, and magazines lead times also four months, there's not a lot reviewers can do about that. For example, the latest version of iTunes now incorporates video as well as audio, and the iPods' battery life range has been improved too. New features/abilities will affect all newer digital audio players in the reviews.

12. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:

13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    lets wait a couple of weeks to see what everyone thinks of the new Toshiba Gigabeats.

Then there's the iaudio X5, but thats £250

14. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mick's, is that right about iTunes? I think I've got the latest version, but not quite sure how it plays video. :confused:

Can you enlighten me? :thumbsup:

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Another thing I've noticed with iTunes (not sure if it's new or I've only just noticed it !!) is that the little arrow links to the Music store (if they are not there go into preferences and check the box for that option) will work on your own music if you hold down the left shift key whilst clicking on that arrow. For example if you click on the arrow (and hold the shift key down) next to the artist name it will bring up all your music by that group, and the same for album. If you don't hold the shift key down it will go on-line to the music store for that artist.

16. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just drag a video (I think it must be in QuickTime format) into the Source pane to import it into iTunes. Then play it as a sound file. In Preferences, under the Advanced tab, you can specify whether it's played in the main window, a separate window, or full screen. If it's in the main window, you should have the album art window opened (Edit>Show Artwork).

If you don't have Quicktime videos, you can play them direct in the iTunes Music Store.

I have to say that this is on a Mac — I haven't played with it on Windows yet (I'll have a go later tonight), but as far as I'm aware the feature's available on both platforms.

17. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, just confirmed - works fine on Windows XP too. Make sure you've got Quicktime installed, just in case that's required (it's a free download from Apple). It would make sense that you need it on your system. Make sure you've also got the very latest iTunes, as it's only the latest version (v4.8) that got the feature.

Although Apple's not advertising the video feature yet, it doesn't take an Einstein to work out that the ability to download and play videos from the iTunes Music Store might suggest a new video-capable iPod coming soon...

18. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mick's :smashin: . I tried dragging the Quicktime sample file into the source pane and it shows as a playlist icon? When I click on the file (as I would a music track), the sample video displays in the small artwork box (bottom left hand side of iTunes).

I suspect I'm doing something wrong here!!!!

19. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    There is a button at the bottom to show video in full screen.

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Sorry Blackpoolowl, we seem to have taken your thread off topic here !
    Back to the question of best mp3 for around £200, I'm an iPod owner and I have no problems with it sound or usage wise and iTunes is superb :thumbsup:

21. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it. Thanks John. :smashin:

Apologies for dragging this off topic.

22. blackpoolowl

blackpoolowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so if the video/mp3 is coming is there any point in buying just the mp3? i know archos has a video/mp3 so surly ipods will soon have video!

23. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I suppose it depends how important video would be for you and also bare in mind that it will probably cost a lot more than a normal MP3 player. Having said that, it could mean that the normal ones come down in price !

24. Mythimna

Mythimna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been struggling to make a decision on purchasing my first MP3 player. Sony seems a good choice sound wise, but should it be the HD3 (£160), HD5 (£184) or HD5HS (£205)?

The HD3 appears to have the edge in design/looks, while the HD5 & HS both have the advantage of an easily changable battery, which may be a big plus in the long run. However, reading the various postings on this forum have finally convinced me what I should do. Wait for the HD7!

If Sony have been paying attention, it will have a replaceable battery, stunning looks, decent case, no cracking keys, overheating or crashing problems - and a remote! Thanks everyone.

25. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've got an i-river and wouldn't swap it for nowt.

It plays all sorts of different files, can be used for voice memo's, has radio and a remote control. Your PC sees it as an external Hard Drive so its just 'drag and drop' for transferring your tunes or other types of file.

The optical out is a bonus for hooking it up to a reciever/amp so you dont have to keep swapping CDs.

And the ear phones dont shout 'mug me for my i-pod!'

Happy days

26. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    yeah well, they're rubbish. I'd personally upgrade immediatelly, wouldn't even bother testing them

27. inain

inain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel your pain Mythimna! I've been tune-less for 2 months now (since my Iriver 120's battery died one week after the warrantee ended) trying to decide on the "perfect" MP3 player (and no thanks as to the IPOD - I've got a PC and I've got my 40gb of music set up in my own folders)

So, my question is - Isn't there a machine out there that does the following:
    1. Just plays music well (i don't want pics or videos) - loud, with great sound and EQ.
    2. Weighs less than 160g
    3. Has a 40gb hard drive
    4. Doesn't require a remote (that's directed at you Iaudio M3)
    5. And, where I can drag and drop my own files and bypass any software

Heck, I don't even care about price!?!

28. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scaley, when you say optical out, do you mean digital output (to a Toslink) or just a standard lineout?

I'm not trying to be clever by asking the question (because despite all my efforts I remain an AV numpty) - it's just that connecting via Toslink to my amp gives far superior sound to a standard audio connection. If the iRiver does optical output (and my understanding is that the competition don't) then it goes to the head of my queue.

29. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Its got both Line Input and Output (optical/analog).

I've hooked mine up via an optical lead and it works just fine, with no loss of sound quality. :thumbsup:

You can turn the Line out Off/On in the menu for when you aren't using it.

30. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

The I-River is a quality player and I very nearly bought one of these but in the end decided on an i-pod.