1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Movies Subwoofer Moment ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by paulst10, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,498
    what is your best subwoofer moment during movies ?
    i personally think the first few minutes of lord of the rings fellowship has got to be a favourite of mine... where sauron implodes and the bass seems to just ooze out toward you , its around the 4 min mark and i think it sounds better in dolby digital than dts

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,148
    Mine would be the storm/crash in Flight of the Phoenix.

3. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    The best Jaw dropper i've had at the moment has to be the Lab accident in Spiderman 2.

(SWMBO has banned FOTP, U-571, LOTR, The Haunting etc at night since SVS arrived :devil: )

UPDATE

OMG.....

Wife & kids gone out so that i can set up BFD..

Just watched flight of Phoenix at -10 and have NEVER heard or felt anythink like it

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Could people also recommend films that are good for subs from start to finish.Not necessarily thudding all the way through but at least something with a fair amount of 'subwoofer moments'. I just spent obscene amounts of money on a sub and need to convince myself it was worth it!

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,148
    Like I said FOTP has big bass moments lasting around 10+ mins in crash/storm scene + plenty of others through film.For music get The Blue Men dvd "The Complex Rock Tour".

Can't think of any films that are start to finish bass fests but as pointed out above most of the Lord of the rings films are pretty bass heavy in all the battle scenes.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    House of the Flying Daggers, All the Star Wars Films, Resident Evil Films, Titan AE, Flight of The Pheonix, God theres loads of em... :eek:

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Believe it or not one of my demo favourites is is Moulin Rouge with several scenes including the dance at the beginning and the thunderstorm at the end.

Das Boot, The Incredibles, Saving Private Ryan and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow have many juicy bits in them too

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    "Hellboy" is rather amazing in the bass department. As is Spiderman 2. :)

Nimby

9. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I don't want to offend but the day I find myself watching Moulin Rouge out of choice is the day I need to give up on this home cinema lark! I'll check out the other titles though.

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timmy C - Have a look at Chicago, superb soundtrack.. :thumbsup:

11. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,148
    Yeah Chicago is a great movie with an excellent soundtrack but may not be Timmys cup of tea if he don't like Moulin Rouge.

Obviously Galadiator/Master & Commander/Apollo 13/Terminator 2 & 3 all have plenty of bassy bits.And don't forget the excellent "Band of Brothers"

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Italian Job 2. They dropped a safe through the floor or something. I thought someone had crashed a car through the front door. Not bad for an iddy biddy woofer...PJ ;)

13. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,792
    The first flash back in the Butterfly Effect. Not the biggest or deepest bass you come across, but FGS the sudden impact of it, I nearly s**t myself.

Added note:

And not to forget the Incredibles, particulalry when the plane gets blown up.

14. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Finding nemo.
    The haunting dts.
    saving private ryan.
    The boogeyman.
    Incredibles.
    Man on fire.
    U571.
    The Hulk.
    Wind talkers.
    Titan A E.

15. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    My 3yo was watching Harry Potter and the prisoner of something or other in the other room (we were in the kitchen) and there was a huge bang that we felt through our feet and it literally shook the french windows. It was a shocking moment, it was so load and powerful I felt sure a Gas main had blown up on a building site down the road. :eek:

I felt so chuffed with my SVS then I realised the bomb squad had carried out a controlled explosion on some unexploded WW2 bombs in a village not far away. :rotfl:

It was a pant filling moment for sure :D

16. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    hahahahahah love it :rotfl:

i think im with FOTP for the most continous basso rumble with power in a film....i have a fair few of the bass-laden films listed here and agree they should be on a list, i'm trying to think of something different to add....hmm...

oh i know! Battle Royal 2 has a fair few bassy moments.....prefer the first film tho..lol
    Blade 2 is pretty bassy as well, especially in DTS....

for music, i dunno, there is plenty of nice drum'n'bass stuff that goes low and thumpy......altho i think probably the best sub-breaking track i can remember listening to is Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part2 on the Flaming Lips album of the same name.....there is some SERIOUS sub workout there....

17. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    just thought i'd add, untill i watched FOTP, i would say Master and Commander is probably the best film i've seen for using its surround sound to make me feel like im really in the film...other films do a good job, but none came close....then i watched FOTP, and im sorry, but that many minute flight sequence that sets up the crash is probably the most amazing thing i've experienced, i really felt like i was in the plane......if you havnt seen the film, get a fat arse sub and some good surround kit, then watch it!..lol

18. skeet94

skeet94
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Master & Commander (Cannon Scene) and I-Robot (just before the Robots attack Will Smith in the Audi).

Can't turn it up too much though as I need more power :(.

19. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There are absolutely loads, check out the recommended DVD thread at the top of the DVD section.

X2 gets my vote for best use of sound effects. It's very subtle throughout but really adds to the film and there are some mad sub moments if that's really what you're after. :)

20. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Elenor chase at the end of gone in sixty seconds has some excelent bass. The sound of that engine sends chills up your spine and shakes the whole house. Also the opening battle and the first fight in the Colloseum in Gladiator are real window shakers.

21. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned the end gunfight from Kevin Costner's "Open Range". The kick from the first few shots is unbelieveable, and that's just from the pistols :eek: Then the rifles, the bass will really kick you in the chest...Beware of that double-barrel shotgun toward the end though, your amp will either give up entirely or it'll say "YUMMMMMM! VOICE-COIL! MY FAVOURITE!!" :devil:

Get the R1 DTS version at your peril...Ironically, as the film's title suggests, this soundtrack is truly "Open Range" and totally uncompressed (In my opinion). The distortion level is so low that you'll want to keep turning it up more and more. I even ventured to +3dB above reference level without bass management...that was funny!

"You won't foind it so foony, when yarr sub's shot ta hell and doyin!!" (Michael Gambon) :rotfl:

22. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have seen that film on sky movies and boy them rifles had some kick can only imagine it in dts.

23. bilba

bilba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If your sub can get below 20hz, the Master and Commander cannon scene produces that "pressure in the head" feeling....:zonked:

I can also vote for the Harry Potter movies. I put it on for the kids whilst we adults were sitting outside. :beer:
    Unfortunately the sub was still on boosted settings from the "Bass fest" of the previous evening!
    After one particularly loud crash one of the mums thought that the the kids had blown up the gear. Apon investigation we found one child hiding behind the lounge! :blush:

sheepishly Bilba

24. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I totally agree about Master and Commander. Massive power and attack. The storm scene is a work of art too. 3 pictures fell of the wall and 2 orniments fell off a shelf and smashed :eek: :thumbsup: :devil:

Many highlights to savor in i-Robot, Assault on precinct 13, Star Wars - attack of the clones, Flight of the Pheonix, Daylight, Blade 3, Van Helsing, Armegeddon, Godzilla, Titan AE, The Incredibles, Terminator 3 and many more !! :D

25. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Another good one for those who haven't heard/felt it is "Solar Max", which is an Imax presentation, has DTS sound, and in the parts showing the 'max' itself, you will have one of those "ooh/errr, maybe I need to turn my subwoofer down a bit" moments. It is absolutely staggering :eek:

26. dongagon

dongagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Another entry in to subwoofer moments is the opening credits of "The Day after Tomorrow". Also when the Tidal wave comes on over New York and when the oil tanker hits the submerged bus.

27. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Saving Private Ryan but not the beach scenes at the start, I am on about when the tanks attack the village and Tom and the boys lay the booby traps.
    From when those panzers start to roll in and the tank tracks start rolling up your carpet edges, if you have a decent sub you will know what I mean! :eek:
    Titan AE is great too, also Fight Club has some great moments, the jet plane scene springs to mind.

28. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This was mentioned over a year ago and I went straight out and bought the DVD which is still in my unplayed pile.

29. wibble

wibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want a good bass moment then try the Iron Giant. I know its an animated flick but there are some seriously low bass moments. The best has to be the one where the aforementioned 'iron giant' turns into what he is supposed to be and fires off a green plasma bolt at the battlecruiser. I have listened to a lot of 'bass heavy' films that grumble along but this will really test your subs transient response timing and extension. Just before the plasmsa detonates the sound mutes for a few seconds then boooommmmm, but it doesn't rumble its just a wall of sub 20Hz air pressure, clean with a fast attack and clean cutoff that then rolls further up the frequency specturm. It shook my whole house so much that I heard audible crakes & creaks from the fabric of the building. When I went to loo later I found ou that that scene has managed to detach my sink from the wall with bits of grouting splattered around the floor. Do yourselves a favour and check this film out. super script, plot, action and bloody amazing sound track to boot.

30. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Downfall - R2, DTS :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.