1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best mouse/trackball for Laptop

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Squiffy, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,822
    Recently I've been playing games on my laptop far more than my desktop, XBox or Gamecube. My nice new home wi-fi network has really given my laptop a new lease of life. :D

(Medieval Total War, NeverWinter Nights and now Starfleet Command 3 are the games I'm playing most).

However I'm starting to find the trackpoint (the nobbly bit in the centre of the keyboard) a bit limiting and fancy a mouse or trackball.

Of these a trackball seems a more sensible choice as I won't need a flat area next to me on the couch.

But are they any good? If so, which one? And if they are crap, can anyone recommend a good, compact (preferably optical) mouse for a laptop?

Thanks.

2. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,

I use the Logitech cordless trackman wheel and find it much easier than a mouse to control my HTPC. It makes a big difference as space is just mor available for a normal mouse and being cordless it is perfect.

Only thing I have noticed is that it is very sensitive (probably able to change this in the settings but havent looked).

They do a non wireless version too which may be better for you are you will be very close to the laptop.

Very happy with it.

Cheers
    RB

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,822
    I've been doing some reading, and apparently after you get used to a trackball (about a week or so of struggling apparently) you come to prefer it.

The only two contenders are Logitech and MS.

Thanks for the info and link. I'll do a bit more digging and maybe try one out in a shop and report back when I do make a choice with my verdict.

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,822
    I bought an MS Trackball Explorer - the one with the thumb controlled ball, rather than the finger one.

It suits my big hands very well, and I'm quickly becoming comfortable with it.

I'd definitely recommend it.