Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best motor racing & fighter pilot sims availabe?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Triggaaar, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    I haven't had a new PC game for a few years, having moved to the xbox. The only thing I miss is racing and flight games, which are less sim and more arcade on the xbox.

Racing wise, I used to use MGPRS2 (didn't have the latest Geoff C GP), Colin McRae Rally and TOCA2.
    And for flighter sim, I had DID's F22 Total Air War.

I am about to buy a new PC, and am considering making it suitable for the latest games, so could you let me know what's good at the moment.

Also, is my old Logitech FF wheel likely to work with modern games and XP?

Thanks!

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    Surely some people still play racing & fighter sims?

Looking through old PC reviews, it seems that the IL2 series (Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles & the new Pacific Fighters) are the best fighter sims. Not sure if there were any good modern plane games after F22.

And motorsport, TOCA race driver 2 & the latest colin McRae rally seem high on the list. Not sure of the latest decent F1/Indycar game.

Anyone? :)

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,482
    I'm not sure about the latest F1 games either, the last one I got was GP3. I'm still playing Colin McCrae Rally 4 - not bothered with 5 yet as it seems to be more of the same but with different tracks and variable weather. I've got Richard Burns Rally but not played it much yet. It's different to the CM Rally games in that it aims for a more realistic drive - not easy to learn quickly but can be rewarding. CM Rally 4 is still great fun when you have a few drinks and challenge your mates. I wouldn't bother with any of these without a steering wheel and pedals as they give so much more to the game.

4. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geoff Crammond's GP4 was good, but I felt the menu system was flawed, GP3 does it better here. Driving wise GP4 felt better. I don't play flight sims so I can't recommend one of those.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    Thanks guys. I've found a sim forum for racing games. GP4 is the F1 game of choice. Apparently Colin McRae is arcade like, as you mentioned. TOCA race driver 2 & Need for Speed are also arcadie. Live for speed is more of a simulation. And GTR is one to look out for soon.

Not sure about a modern fighter sim, but like the sound of WW2 stuff - less about weapons, more about dog fighting.

6. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe a bit too arcady but great fun is Flatout, it has full damage for both the cars and track and a very good replication of proper physics. More of a destruction derby than F1, however it always puts a smile on my face.

7. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +685
    Have a look BHMotorsports for info on realistic racing games, and get yourself a copy of Grand Prix Legends (patches for new CPU's and GPU's on that page) for ultra realism, old game now, but still fantastic. :thumbsup:

8. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GP legends was great, can you get NVidia support for this now? I know that not so long ago there was no support for Nvidia cards so I gave up and uninstalled the game. Sad because it was a unique driving game and the Nurburgring, with all its' 14 miles and 200 odd corners was the ultimate challenge!

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    F1 Challenge '99 to '02 is pretty much the best F1 game out there - makes all console versions look really bad! There are also loads of mods you can download for it such as the new seasons F1 cars, porsches or touring cars etc.

Flight sim - still can't beat IL2 when it comes to a historical fighter sim! I've not really dabbled with a modern day fighter sim recently so not sure there. FS2004 is a great game if you are more after a realistic flight sim (as opposed to a combat game).

10. Dmitry Markov

Dmitry Markov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for fighter sim - best are IL-2 series! They made new add-on about Pacific Theatre (in Russia it is called "Pearl-Harbor"). And as for modern planes - best flight model is in "LockOn" (also Russian project :))) ) especially good when played with Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar . But they didn't made any effort to make "LockOn" a Game: it's more like a hard job of a modern fighter pilot.