1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Motherboard/Ram for Intel P4 2.4C

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by zAndy1, Jul 11, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,484
    I've pretty much decided to get a P4 2.4C CPU for my new gaming PC as it sounds like it's easily overclockable to 3Ghz and it's cheap compared to the faster CPUs. I'm not certain about which motherboard to get though, I don't need on board LAN as I'll be getting a PCI wireless card for it , basically need one that will get the best out of the CPU and is nice and stable etc. And what sort of RAM should I be looking for , assuming PC3200 and 2 sticks of it to take advantage of the dual ddr? Or should I be looking at PC2700 or PC3500?! I've looked at various sites to try and decide but it gets too much and I haven't got the time to be honest, if someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. Assesears

Assesears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    whats the Asus P4P800 deluxe like?...was thinkin of this for my bro:confused:

4. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the ASUS P4P 800 (non deluxe - as I didn't ned the other bits that that has)

I just searched on GOOGLE for "ASUS P4P 800 review" and did a bit of reading. (same thing for the Zalman 7000 reviews)
    This board uses the i865 chipset and some reviews said it was capable of similar performance as some 875 based boards in their standard setup.

Have assembled everything but haven't fired it up yet beyond going into BIOS, bec of problem with accessing the new HDD - which I'd installed quickly to test in Sky+, which prevented PC from accessing the disk... had to put into current XP home PC, delete partition put there by Sky+ and reformat to NTFS... then it worked in HCPC)

For RAM I got CORSAIR XMS single module 512 MB Cas 2 as this was recommended in a few reviews / by users. Definitely seem to need Cas 2 if overclocking, and if you want to use dual modules - then buy them as a matched pair. A couple of things I read said always go for the larger single mosules where possible rather than 2 or more of same total size.
    I just had conflicting advise from the same supplier. One guy said he was surprised that my machine posted at all with a single module an shipped me a Twin pack of 2 x 256... but then, next day another guy said that it should work (which it seems to) and the ASUS booklet seems to show this in the table of Single & double channel modules configs. Supplier also told me that just buying an extra module of the "same type" may cuse stability probs as they won't be "perfectly" matched (that's why you pay a premium when buying the twin matched pairs compared to a single of the same total size)
    The MoBo has four slots. From what I understood, using >1 module (dual channel) is better for burst rate (?)... but with the overall machine spec that I have - I wonder if you'd practically experience any differences?

My spec:
    - ASUS P4P 800 MoBo (800MHz FSB)
    - Corsair XMS single DDR RAM Cas 2 (400 MHz)
    - P4 2.4C HT (800 MHz)
    - Zalman 7000 AlCu cooler (pretty quiet on lowest fan speed)
    - Antec 330w PSU (also pretty quiet)
    - HIS Excalibur Radeon 9500 128, AGP 8x / DX9 (fan = pretty noisy ! Zalman passive Heatpipe on order)
    - Seagate barracuda 80GB, 380011A
    - Tosh 1712 DVD ROM + black facia / SONY DRU500 DVD burner (not sure yet WHERE to do the burning... HC or home PC..)
    - ACCENT 2 bay HCPC case

Plus:
    - Pinnacle PCTV sat card (with Cn 878 capture chip)
    - Terratec Aureon fun 5.1 sound card (with C-media 8738 chip)
    and
    - PixelView xCapture (with Cn 238x8 chip)
    - Terratec Cinergy 400 (with Philips SAA7134 chip)
    (have to decide which ones to install in HCP / leave in Home PC)

- ADSL modem / wireless LAN... HCPC will be connected by wireless to main Home PC so I can (hopefully) use Digiguide to drive some PVR software "in the background"

I also bought a Zalman N'wood passive cooler, but looking at the standard ASUS one on the MoBo... I didn't bother installing it as the std. ASUS one looked as if it would be fine (and would get some of the downdraught from the Zalman CPU fan).
    Initially - not planning to use any additional case fans (at recommendation of QuietPC... see how it goes first).

sorry to babble on too long..
    Steve

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Just put together a system of Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.4c Intel P4, Geil 3500 Ram and Radeon 9800. Overclocked the Pentium 2.4c to 3.2 in half a dozen keystrokes. My 3dmark 2001 went from about 7000 on my old machine to 18500 on this, well happy. Everything is stable and cool, this is the best bang for buck system I have ever had.:clap:

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,484
    Graham,
    Are you using the standard intel heatsink/fan or do you use somthing else?
    I've pretty much settled on the Abit IC7 with P4 2.4C and some TwinMos matched Ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro, should keep me happy for a year or two!

Cheers,
    Andy.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    No I used the Zalman 7000 AlCu, which is very quiet and great at cooling the P4. Using the Asus probe utility I have a reading of 30C idle and about 40c fully loaded, which is the same clocked as native running speed.

To be honest I hoping to get to 3.2 as this was the fastest speed chip issued by Intel and I reached it with ease. On the Asus P4P800 Deluxe there is a setting in the Bios for 5% 10% 20% or 30% over clock so I just picked 30% and let her rip, no voltage adjusting or ram speed fiddling, just the one setting. Later on I will give 3.4 a shot for a 1ghz over clock and I will be very surprised if it fails. :clap: